WP running Android apps

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft could bring Android app support to Windows, Windows Phone

Having just seen this appear on my HTC BlinkFeed (sorry I have a droid, not my choice) I wonder what this would mean for WP. Personally I would say it's a kiss of death as why make a WP app when you can reach them with an android app anyway, alongside Android, BlackBerry, and Ubuntu. Maybe even more. I dunno, I'm not convinced.

Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app

Last edited:

Gautam Kabiraj

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
It's the worst idea I can think of. Most probably and hopefully it's another fake rumor from The Verge. In fact, the article in WP Central by Rich has many errors, un-rectified (Like that flappy bird sh*t, 100,000 apps in WP store etc) so I highly doubt about the rumor being a fact.
In any case, if its true, we won't want to take any chance. Lets stand against it. You may give your votes here:
We do NOT want Android apps on WP – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

I already gave 9 votes from my different account. Cheers!

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
If you read it, it's more of a service where you're basically using your WP/RT device as a dumb terminal, not natively running them on your phone the way that BlackBerry was doing.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
But it is an inexpensive and quick way to get apps to the WP platform since developers aren't flocking to the Store.

Here's the thing, IF Microsoft were to do this, it has the potential to kill all development for WP. After all, why develop a native WP app when you can simply use an Android version and have it working on Android BlackBerry and WP. If I recall correctly, BlackBerry aren't exactly benefitting from doing it either. Since after all, people would rather get an Android phone for the Android apps. So yeah, I don't think it'll work out.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Sure but that'll still ruin the native WP apps growth and developers' interest for them too...
There is no developer interest and app growth is going nowhere. Personally I could see it being a great idea for them, the biggest thing WP lacks is App's everything else about it is amazing from the hardware, to the UI. I know if they suddenly got every app I could find on an Android/iOS device I would instantly jump ship to WP.

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
There is no developer interest and app growth is going nowhere. Personally I could see it being a great idea for them, the biggest thing WP lacks is App's everything else about it is amazing from the hardware, to the UI. I know if they suddenly got every app I could find on an Android/iOS device I would instantly jump ship to WP.

If we were to start running android apps on WP the UI would soon be gone. What I like about Windows Phone is not just the UI but the fact that the UI is pretty much consistent across most usefull apps. Android apps will stick out like a sore thumb. So, soon there would be no more windows phone apps, we would be forced to use the android apps and then our UI would be useless.

Not to mention we would lose live tiles as well. So the UI is pretty much dependant on the fact that we run WP specific apps.

From that point on, what would be the use of Windows phone? It would be useless, that is all.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

There's more developer interest than you think. For example, Roccat, a big gaming peripheral company, have said that they plan to release a WP app in the future for their Power Grid. Though there isn't currently a release date.
ROCCAT - POWER-GRID ? Tutorial

Oh, and if anyone tries to dismiss that as me being a Roccat ******... Razer any day!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss