WP7 on Fido (Canada)

trickym81

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently using a Nokia dumbphone on Fido and I'm really interested in the Lumia 710 for my first smartphone. It just went on sale at Rogers for $255 outright.
Does anyone have any experience with using WP7 phones on Fido? Would I need to unlock it? How? I've read about MMS problems (which I don't really care about) but also time and call display issues. Is using the phone on Fido going to cause me problems?
I don't have a contract so I could switch to Rogers, but I really like my Fido plan right now and I'd rather not get rid of it.

Sorry if this post is in the wrong area.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
welcome.gif

I'm sure some of our Canadian friends will be along soon to help out, but just
wanted to welcome you along to WPCentral trickym81. :)

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently using a Nokia dumbphone on Fido and I'm really interested in the Lumia 710 for my first smartphone. It just went on sale at Rogers for $255 outright.
Does anyone have any experience with using WP7 phones on Fido? Would I need to unlock it? How? I've read about MMS problems (which I don't really care about) but also time and call display issues. Is using the phone on Fido going to cause me problems?
I don't have a contract so I could switch to Rogers, but I really like my Fido plan right now and I'd rather not get rid of it.

Sorry if this post is in the wrong area.

You shouldn't have any problems at all Rogers and Fido are brother and sister companies whatever works on Rogers will work on Fido. I have a Lumia 800 on rogers UK version and it works fine except for signal strength inside of buildings.

Oh and caller ID is kind of wonky on my phone its probably because its not a legit rogers handset but I dont see a problem going from Rogers to Fido

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
trickym81.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm currently on Fido with over 300 Fido dollars waiting to be used. I'm going to wait for a couple of months to see how things pan out for 3 reasons.
1) Internet Sharing is not yet available on the 710 or 800. It's expected to be a software upgrade from Nokia. It's something I have to have.
2) Support from Fido for MMS and functional caller ID. There should be no reason at all why a Rogers phone on Fido wouldn't have both of these functional, but I want proof before I take the plunge.
3) All those Fido dollars could purchase it outright if the phone comes to Fido, and this phone is right in Fido's wheelhouse, so i'm hopeful it will get brought over in a few months, which has happened in the past.

I saw your post over on the Fido forums. Hopefully more folks will post there and show them there is interest.

trickym81

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
trickym81.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm currently on Fido with over 300 Fido dollars waiting to be used. I'm going to wait for a couple of months to see how things pan out for 3 reasons.
1) Internet Sharing is not yet available on the 710 or 800. It's expected to be a software upgrade from Nokia. It's something I have to have.
2) Support from Fido for MMS and functional caller ID. There should be no reason at all why a Rogers phone on Fido wouldn't have both of these functional, but I want proof before I take the plunge.
3) All those Fido dollars could purchase it outright if the phone comes to Fido, and this phone is right in Fido's wheelhouse, so i'm hopeful it will get brought over in a few months, which has happened in the past.

I saw your post over on the Fido forums. Hopefully more folks will post there and show them there is interest.
I definitely agree about the Fido dollars. It would be great to use those finally.

Superzar

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Seems caller ID is not working correctly on this phone. Getting 'Unkown' about 90% of time. Called Rogers (provider) and they confirmed 3 calls already today about same issue.

UPDATE: Having Rogers disable 'name display' for the account on their end fixes the problem!

Last edited:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
1.rogers + Fido = same company/ networks

2. you STILL NEED to have it unlocked!!!! rogers phone are carrier specific locked .

3. if your text or internet doesn't work , go on the FIDO web page to get their APN settings.

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to call Fido and see if getting name display disabled on my current WM6.5 device will solve my Caller ID issues.

I'd still like to know if MMS with an unlocked 710 works on Fido.

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
We've got this discussion going on two threads.

Anyway, I called Fido, disabled name display, and presto! No more "Unknown" Caller ID from Telus Customers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234