WP8.1 Tips & Tricks

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
There's an easier/faster way.

1. Turn off Cortana: the easiest way is to disable Location (swipe down the notification center and tap the Location to turn it off).
2. Now, tap the search / magnifying glass button, Bing Search will pop up. Then, tap the eye / eclipse button. The scanner will run.
* To turn on Cortana again, just enable the Location from the notification center..

It's exactly the same number of actions, just different. :)

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
This feature is probably known but anyway.....
Pair your WP8/WP8.1 phone to the PS3 and use it as a remote to quickly play music/videos on YouTube.

- Download the YouTube player for the PS3.
- From YouTube on the PS3, select 'Pair Device'
- On the Phone (with IE), got to "www.youtube.com/pair" and enter the code (or QR scan) the code shown on the PS3.
- Select video on phone.
- Press the blue square icon on the top left in the browser window to connect.
- Press play and watch video on the PS3.

Way faster than searching using the PS3 app directly.

Richard Durishin

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: WP8.1: Tips and Tricks

Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 8.1 Theme syncronization

Want more theme colors than what Windows (phone) offers? Do you have a Windows 8.1 computer?

Set your phone to sync your theme settings. Then, choose "Personalize" from the setting charm on your Windows 8.1 computer. Choose among the many background colors and watch your phone's Live Tiles sync to that color.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: WP8.1: Tips and Tricks

Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 8.1 Theme syncronization

Want more theme colors than what Windows (phone) offers? Do you have a Windows 8.1 computer?

Set your phone to sync your theme settings. Then, choose "Personalize" from the setting charm on your Windows 8.1 computer. Choose among the many background colors and watch your phone's Live Tiles sync to that color.

This is indeed awesome and as far as I know undiscovered until now. Great tipp!

Last edited by a moderator:

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure why, exactly, but when I tried to sync background color to accent color, it didn't work for me. Oh, wait, I have syncing issues with the laptop. Yep, I'm on a metered connection, so it's not syncing. I'll have to wait until I get to Wi-Fi to do it.

Seriously, though, my desktop background color isn't what I want for my accent color at all. Probably because I prefer a clean, black desktop background which means stuff would not show up with the black background on my phone with a black accent color. Ha! That would be sad... I suppose I better disable theme syncing for my phone, so I can keep it separate. Wouldn't want the same photo background either. I like a photo on the phone, but not on the desktop. I wonder, though, will it sync a photo for a background? I can see where that would be cool if you had laptop, tablet, phone, desktop, TV, etc., and had the same lockscreen photo on all, and the same photo in the background on the start screen, etc.

Someone test it with the photos and let me know if that works, since I won't be at a non-metered connection for possibly 3 days or more. Yeah, I live way out in nowhere, living just on the metered 4G for internet.

OberstDanjeje

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I tried all day, when sync from PC to phone on phone it's always one of the accent color, no new color. I put different gray and black on PC, on phone it synch all the times gray, it's called acciaio on italian phone

Balkana

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
How do you guys turn on/off your Mobile data connection? I know that it can be done by going to Settings but is there any faster way? I was unable to add it to the Notification center. :(

Kasongo

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
it's possible to have a tile transparent for image PNG ? Custom tiles maker does not do that...

Edit: Found ! "PinPng", but it's not easy and incomplete.

Last edited:

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
U can put the 'Airplane Mode' in the notification center

While that will turn off the mobile data, it also turns off the ability to use the phone as a phone, and turns off Wi-Fi as well. That's not desirable for those who wish to only disable data to conserve data.

If you only want to turn off the Cellular Data, then there is a free app called "Cellular Data". You can pin it to your start screen for a quick shortcut to the setting. It also has a live tile that will tell you if your Cellular Data is currently turned on or off.

jplumia820

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
How do you guys turn on/off your Mobile data connection? I know that it can be done by going to Settings but is there any faster way? I was unable to add it to the Notification center. :(
I use a simple app called Dashboard. It's free and lets you pin a shortcut for data onto the home screen.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean; I've only had my phone for about 2-3 weeks.....do explain more what you meant above.
You should always quote what you are referring to. There are 199 posts "above" yours. Even if you mean directly above, you have no control over other people posting while you were typing yours.

But if you are referring to:

I use hot tiles! for that.

I believe Hot Tiles is an app you can find in the app store.

Yousaf Saeed Shaikh

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I read all the posts but never found these useful Tips:
1) Pressing & holding the Back key directly opens "Open Apps". From there, it's much easy to close any app.

2) In Message / Email inbox, slightly touching the Left edge of the message toggle to select multiple message . Which is very useful if want to delete multiple messages.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yenofenny