Wp8/7.8 vs BB10. Obviously Wp8. But not these BB at crackberry users agree.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Count me in the group that just doesn't want to see BlackBerry die. I think if you look at the landscape of mobile, billions of handsets are sold a year. More people have cell phones than running water in the world. It is a bigger industry than computers and Automotive (although auto's contribute more to secondary businesses). It has replaced mp3 players, portable gaming, and in some cases even netbooks.

It is a HUGE industry, and I believe 4-5 OS's could survive so long as smart phones continue on the path of slowly outselling feature phones. WP could easily be the #3 OS and there still be room for BB10 to be successful. I just feel the mobile industry is better with RIM and more competition in it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Count me in the group that just doesn't want to see BlackBerry die. I think if you look at the landscape of mobile, billions of handsets are sold a year. More people have cell phones than running water in the world. It is a bigger industry than computers and Automotive (although auto's contribute more to secondary businesses). It has replaced mp3 players, portable gaming, and in some cases even netbooks.

It is a HUGE industry, and I believe 4-5 OS's could survive so long as smart phones continue on the path of slowly outselling feature phones. WP could easily be the #3 OS and there still be room for BB10 to be successful. I just feel the mobile industry is better with RIM and more competition in it.
I agree with you. Although I'm over BlackBerry, I feel that more competition is always better for consumers.

BlackBerry could be successful in a specific niche market.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I agree with you. Although I'm over BlackBerry, I feel that more competition is always better for consumers.

BlackBerry could be successful in a specific niche market.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

I agree, BB is still successful in Latin America, especially south America. I talk to girls from Ecuador,Colombia and Venezuela and they all have Blackberries, only one has an iPhone.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
im pretty sure blackberry is beyond repair at this point. BB10 sounds like a big improvement from bb7, but way too late... **** windows phone is too late but at least MS has the money and resources to buy into it, BB doesnt at this piont... they lived a good life, but its pretty much over.

MS is gainging traction and it will only speed up with windows 8, and im not a huge fan of the new UI, but metro everything i am. i love the new outlook, fluent UI amongst apps

menaknow

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
It's never too late for an OS.

Android proved that fact already. Change just doesn't happen overnight.

The comparisons between BB10 and WP8 are laughable. At the moment both are unknowns. Unknowns in the sense the final product is not known, only bits and pieces that have been seen.

The new BB10 development environment is actually well built.

And RIM is catering to HTML5/JS developers just as Microsoft is. Windows 8 on the other hand is doing great also.

As far as I am concern, I can't predict the future, but right now there is no telling who will be in that 3rd spot.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree, BB is still successful in Latin America, especially south America. I talk to girls from Ecuador,Colombia and Venezuela and they all have Blackberries, only one has an iPhone.

It's basically gives the phones away at cost in return for an ever-decreasing amount of service revenue - it's not a sustainable model.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
It's basically gives the phones away at cost in return for an ever-decreasing amount of service revenue - it's not a sustainable model.

exactly.... in addition, most of those countries dont offer much of anything else in the way of smartphones. so BB is the best they have to chose from. not in all markets but most of them. i travel a lot and speak from experience

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
exactly.... in addition, most of those countries dont offer much of anything else in the way of smartphones. so BB is the best they have to chose from. not in all markets but most of them. i travel a lot and speak from experience

The big draw is cheap BIS which gives internet and access to BBM but that is going under pressure from two areas - carriers in those areas are starting to improve their own offerings and also they increasingly want a larger share of the BIS revenue.

That is why BB10 is so important to RIM, the idea (hope?) is that those will be premium devices that will appeal to customers in places like North America who have turned their back on RIM and will attract decent gross margins.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
It seems weird to worry about this, but what happens if we see 20 million WP8s a quarter next year? I can see WP7 completely left in the dust if that kind of thing happens. ]
Don't worry about it. 20 million devices is not going to happen. Microsoft hasn't shown us anything groundbreaking that would cause users to swap en masse.

Even with added functionality, the shift would likely be gradual. We would have to wait for users' contracts to expire as well as consumers to realize that WP8 has more functions that competitors.

It'd probably be wise for Microsoft to start publicizing some cutting edge WP8 apps now; but, I'm not seeing it. Any developer commitment like full Photoshop would be nice. As of right now, it seems like we're going to be stuck with Office Mobile again.

Microsoft should also experiment with different marketing strategies, such as bundling phones with computers. Smoked With Windows Phone should definitely repeated, except this time, it needs TV ads to go with it. More people should have jumped on free! phone.

Speedygi

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Quality of the OS? It is a factor but not as big a one as people think - what really counts is the ability to have massive economics of scale in the supply chain, spend hundreds of millions if not billions on marketing, the same again on carrier tie-ins. Odd as it seems, RIM is now too small (relative to the major players in the market) to have those advantages.

Their burn rate is going to increase over the next two quarters and the decline in both arpu for both devices and services is going to hurt them - they will burn through their cash simply trying to keep up during the launch of BB10 (if they don't blow the new deadline).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

You want me to do a Yoda on you? You know you want to..

Quality in an Operating system is everything...and if BB10 is going to have great groundbreaking features I'm going to go on board in a hurry. I don't care if It doesn't have what other Operating systems have, innovation is what drives products and companies forward.

In that regard, BB10 would be primed to make an impact no matter how that turns out to be...I don't want another WP8 or IOS 6, and this will not happen with BB10. It will push technology forward. That in itself will keep RIM competitive.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I carried a Curve 9370 as a work phone recently and I really liked it after I customized it. I got rid of all those stupid "panes" and made it so no apps showed, I had to pull up the drawer. I really liked it this way. Slap LTE and an 8 megapixel camera on it and i would probably still be carrying it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Quality in an Operating system is everything...and if BB10 is going to have great groundbreaking features I'm going to go on board in a hurry. I don't care if It doesn't have what other Operating systems have, innovation is what drives products and companies forward.

In that regard, BB10 would be primed to make an impact no matter how that turns out to be...I don't want another WP8 or IOS 6, and this will not happen with BB10. It will push technology forward. That in itself will keep RIM competitive.

As nice as BB10 might be, if it does not support Skype, Netflix, Hulu (and all the other "usual suspects") it will not be adopted by North American consumers.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

But it's not - that's the stuff that the tech press concentrates on but equally important are the ability of the company to leverage the supply chain, their ability to get hero status for their devices, their carrier relationships, their media tie-ins, their ecosystems - the actual innovation can be gobbled up by other companies when you fail.

Speedygi

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
But it's not - that's the stuff that the tech press concentrates on but equally important are the ability of the company to leverage the supply chain, their ability to get hero status for their devices, their carrier relationships, their media tie-ins, their ecosystems - the actual innovation can be gobbled up by other companies when you fail.

All of which I think RIM does have and in good measure...IMO, or at least their ecosystems or their carrier relationships. BBM is a huge part of that ecosystem and so is app world. Their Carrier Relationships around the world are also strong, especially outside of the U.S.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Naw the CEO of Rim did an interview today which all but admitted that they cannot compete in the supply chain.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124