WP8 multitasking

lj8915

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I still haven't seen a good video of wp8 multitasking. Anyone have one? I'm curious to see if everything will be able to multitask or just a few apps.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Background tasks will be able to run. Separately 8 main apps will be allowed to be "frozen" (accessible through the back button). Functionality basically stays the same I think.

The background tasks part is a big deal. It means devs can get access to background location and VOIP (oh yeah!) services on the same level as the OS.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Background tasks will be able to run. Separately 8 main apps will be allowed to be "frozen" (accessible through the back button). Functionality basically stays the same I think.

The background tasks part is a big deal. It means devs can get access to background location and VOIP (oh yeah!) services on the same level as the OS.
Though I think you can kill the apps now. like windows 8

lj8915

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I hated having to hold the back button to go back to an app where it was left off. I would like to be able to tap the app correctly and have it be where I left off (in wp7 they always start from the beginning). Will this be possible in wp8?

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I hated having to hold the back button to go back to an app where it was left off. I would like to be able to tap the app correctly and have it be where I left off (in wp7 they always start from the beginning). Will this be possible in wp8?

Just seems more natural to use the back button to switch apps. Imagine being in another one and want to switch, you'd have to goto the homescreen, find its icon and then tap it. Rinse and repeat. When you can save much time by going to the task switcher.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
back button multitasking is a boat load of crap. you have no control when the app closes, sometime they close by themselves. i want to start an app, have it run, then close when i tell it, not when i open another app.
i want to download email attachments, while i read other emails and draft an email and use a sports tracker and have two documents opens all at the same time.

turbulent

Feb 13, 2007
Visit site
^^

I have an older palm Treo pro running 6.5... that would satisfy the request to have apps stay opened.....

Hated the constant resets... forces me to keep my palm Centro

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Just seems more natural to use the back button to switch apps. Imagine being in another one and want to switch, you'd have to goto the homescreen, find its icon and then tap it. Rinse and repeat. When you can save much time by going to the task switcher.

I think just like Maemo of Nokia N900 they should have the option of a close button for an application in Task Manager

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
So much for dual core. Freezing apps in the background? I thought this was why they left the CE core to the NT core.
There are plenty of quad-core devices on the market today which do the exact same thing. Why would you want apps unnecessarily running in the background, potentially eating up CPU cycles and draining the battery?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
There are plenty of quad-core devices on the market today which do the exact same thing. Why would you want apps unnecessarily running in the background, potentially eating up CPU cycles and draining the battery?

Cos some apps need to be able to run in the background to be of any use.

It's more about allowing for a whole new different thing, most apps dont really have to run in the background, but some do.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Second post says apps will have access to stuff while in the background. So even though the app state is frozen its still getting info from sensors.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Android multitasking... which is not true multitasking, but pretty close, blows. I can hit the home button out of Bad Piggies, for example, on my GS3 and many times Watchdog will pop up saying it is using a lot of CPU in the background.. WFT? The Endgadet app on Android is another example of an app that goes out of control on Android. Has since it was introduced. That type of multitasking is unneeded.

You guys can probably think of more examples, but for me, the biggest things that need to "multitask" are:
(1) VPN Clients - no need to explain this one..
(2) Background audio/music - ditto
(3) Third party email clients - Good Mobile Messaging is a good example. On iOS obviously the app only runs when you are in it. This means if I get 50 emails, they will not appear in Good until I launch the app and sit and wait for them to all download. Also that means that it will not notify me of calendar appointments unless the app is running. (Yes they use the push network for calendar, but that requires the internet.. something a tablet, for example, might not always have.
(4) Maybe things like VMWare View so it can maintain a connection when you are not in the app....

Those are the big ones I can think of, I'm sure there are a few more. I do not want the Android model... it's not the best.

koolkid09

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Android multitasking... which is not true multitasking, but pretty close, blows. I can hit the home button out of Bad Piggies, for example, on my GS3 and many times Watchdog will pop up saying it is using a lot of CPU in the background.. WFT? The Endgadet app on Android is another example of an app that goes out of control on Android. Has since it was introduced. That type of multitasking is unneeded.

Blasphemy.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
most apps dont really have to run in the background, but some do.
So we should allow them all to run in the background, then? Cause our phones to lag, and eventually freeze?
The far superior alternative is to create a robust catalogue of background agents that will sip power, hardly impact the processors and still achieve the intended purposes.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
You want a phone that lags and freezes because it will run out of memory.

Exactly.

I'm amazed so many people still don't understand how modern memory management works on smartphones.

The phone doesn't NEED you to close apps. It's more than capable of "parking" the apps, freeing up memory whenever needed and closing them when they idle for a long time without any human intervention.

This reminds me of all the dopes still using Android task killers, not realizing they are actually making their phone less stable by needlessly killing processes. :straight:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel