WP8 Music App Questions

richard_c

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I am in the process of buying a Lumia 620 and I'm currently selling my iPhone 4. Now I just have a few questions before I make the jump from iOS to WP8 and that's about the music player.

I've become very accustomed to the way my iPhone when its locked lets me double tap on the home button and the controls for volume, play and skip track pop up. I take it there's a feature like this in WP8, if so is it as easy to access as in iOS.

Also if I minimize the music app and decide to browse the web will the music keep paying? I know it will stop if I play a game of watch a video. But web browsing id hope it would still play.

I take it controls to repeat, repeat 1 song and skip and right there for you to click on like in iOS?

Also one thing I thinks missing from iOS is I cant make a playlist on my phone from the music that's already on my phone. Is it possible to do this in WP8?

Sorry for all the questions but I tried looking on youtube for comprehensive reviews of the music player and couldn't find any.

I just don't want to switch and think, oh ****, I miss that feature, especially with the music player and I listen to music all the time.

Thanks,

Rich

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
okay, when you have music playing and turn the screen won you'll have a control on top with the song playing, pause, skip and previous/back. You can always enable this when music is playing with the volume buttons. The music only stops when you watch a video or a game/app decides to override it. I never noticed it, the most apps ask you what to do. repeat, shuffle are possible, but only in the app, not in the short controls. I'll attach a few screenshots to show you how it works:
first one is with no music playing, second the normal music player, third the miniplayer on homescreen and the last the miniplayer at lockscreen.

wp_ss_20130204_0001.jpg
wp_ss_20130204_0002.jpg
wp_ss_20130204_0003.jpg
wp_ss_20130204_0004.jpg

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Also, you can add songs a "Now Playing" list and you have the option to save that "Now Playing" list as a playlist in your collection.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Also, you can add songs a "Now Playing" list and you have the option to save that "Now Playing" list as a playlist in your collection.

Problem is you can't add to the list once its saved and its way to convoluted and not user friendly. If there are changes coming to music management on WP, this needs to be a priority.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Problem is you can't add to the list once its saved and its way to convoluted and not user friendly. If there are changes coming to music management on WP, this needs to be a priority.

I 100% agree with you! Small things like that should have been there from the start! Even before WP8, WP7 should have had that!

richard_c

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
@th0mas96 - Thank you very much for the overview, that's cleared a lot of questions I had up. My only other question is scrobbling, in iOS you can scrobble, you can scrobble and half/ quarter or fine, can you do this in the player in WP8?

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
nope, but you can hold the back/forward buttons, like with an old cassette. It feels weird in the beginning, but I don't see a problem there now :)

richard_c

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
In regards to ID3 Tags. I update and change all mine with mp3 tag and add all the album artwork manually. If all the correct information and album artwork is part of the mp3 will the player automatically pick these up. It doesn't try and rename files for me etc?

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
for me, it didn't change anything, but couldn't display most of my album artwork (from iTunes). I readded it with the freeware "MPATool" from the WIndows Phone Store, and it works now :)

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
After you make a playlist on your phone you can add to it, delete song titles and adjust the order of play.
After you install the desktop app on the PC, connect the phone, go to music, playlist folder. Right click the play
list, properties, resources tab. You can drag and drop songs that are on the phone into the resources window, delete songs and adjust the play order.
desktop app: Windows Phone app for desktop (Preview 3) | Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone How-to | Windows Phone (United States)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb