WP9 and strict hardware requirements

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
If MS sets the upper limit of hardware, does this also include max MP of camera, is that the reason to why Nokia only put 8.7MP camera in 920 compared to the 41MP in the 808.

No. MS only specifies upper limits on core hardware that has a direct impact on software execution (CPU cores, GPU, DSPs, etc.)... the camera is entirely irrelevant in that regard, so the chassis spec doesn't have much to say about the camera.

The Qualcomm S4 SoC used in WP devices is limited to processing pictures no larger than 20 MP however.

I don't know why Nokia chose a 8.7 MP instead of a 20 MP sensor. Maybe they couldn't float a sensor of that size for OIS? I don't know... your guess is as good as mine...

richard_c

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Actually, even the iPhone 4 with iOS 6 is barely usable. Slow and laggy, sometimes to the point of the keyboard missing two or three letters pressed in a row.

Not for me. I have an iPhone 4 with iOS6 and it runs fine

For me all windows phones should have a minimum of 8gb internal storage. Not 4gb which makes the phone useless as you can only install like 5 apps. Even for budget phones it should be 8gb. It's a smart phone at the end of the day.

dookie dave

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
As a comparison, look at Android, almost all the 2012 android hardware released in 2012 are quad-core > 1.5ghz, LG/Motorola are already touching 2 ghz quad core or with Atom processors (rumor mill has it that Samsung Galaxy S4 would have 2Ghz quad core proc as well). With 2 gigs ram and super ghz multi cores, these hardware can take future release very easily.
Likewise, Apple let 4 generation old hardware iPhone 3GS upgradable to latest ios releases. Till date the resale value of iphone 3gs is probably one of the best give it is such an old model.

The best 2012 WP8 model is with 1 gig ram and 1.5 ghz dual core processor, does it not bother anyone why there is such a strict restriction for the vendors, knowing there is already better hardware available in 2012 (GS3 with quad-core released in May 2012) ? Knowing what MSFT did to WP7 users and with strict hardware requirements, I sort of want to back out.

Thoughts?
i dont know much about smartphones, im not trying to be a hater or a ******, but.
apple iphone 5's processor is like 1.4 ghz? from what i know it almost never laggs,
wp8 phones are 1.5ghz. my phone so far hasnt lagged, never on the homescreen or apps list.
SG3 and other android devices 1.7ghz maybe even more, despite the numbers, these are the phones i felt most lagged, when i did something like scroll through the homescreen tabs even.

im thinking ghz are like megapixels, you can have the highest number of them all, but if you dont use it right, its practically useless...
hopefully that makes sense i dont know if i answered anything though

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria