XBOX 360 question...

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I thinking about biting the bullet and getting a 360. Can I do everything with the 4G model? Any limits that I should be aware of?

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I believe you would only need more storage space if you plan on downloading music, video, and full games. 4GB should be fine for arcade games. You can rent videos and stream them very well with Zune, plus there's Netflix. You can stream music in Zune. These days 4GB is fine.

If you plan to download full HD movies or TV shows or full games like Gears of War, for example, then 4GB will not cut it.

litepink

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Besides, obviously, lack of storage, the only issue I've known is you can't play Halo Reach Online Co-op with the 4GB model.

You'll have to ask yourself if these storage issues are a concern to you:
-Unable to install a game to the hard drive. This allows you to play a game without the disc spinning. Most retail discs are larger than 4GB
-Possible lack of game save/arcade game storage. You'd have to have a lot of saves/games, and you can delete XBLA games and re-download later if you need to manage things. This most likely wouldn't be an issue.
-Lack of movie or TV Episode storage. Some of the HD ones take up quite a bit of space. I don't do this too much on 360, and again you can delete as needed.

So, you need to decide if this is right for you. Quite honestly, I would think the 4GB would be appropiate for most. I have 250 GB, but that's because I got the MW2 console. I have lots of room which is nice, I can install multiple games, etc.

edit: you can also use USB drives to expand storage easily.

Last edited:

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I only plan on playing games, I haven't played Halo since Halo 2. I strictly plan on using this for gaming.

Paul Acevedo

Writer
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Downloadable games and content do take up a lot of space though. Dead Rising Case Zero, for instance, is over 1 GB. You could certainly live with 4GB for a while, but it'd be a really good idea to get one eventually.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Get the 250GB. I actually had gotten the 4GB as I was only interested in the multiplayer and always purchasing it, but the last two Black Ops DLC packs were over 1GB together, probably 1.5-1.7gb, total.

Another reason that I needed the 250GB was because I learned that saving the games to the console, enables the game to play much better. It also helps decrease issues like the game getting scratched or the ring of death -- from what I hear.

justsomeguy#WP

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Downloadable games and content do take up a lot of space though. Dead Rising Case Zero, for instance, is over 1 GB. You could certainly live with 4GB for a while, but it'd be a really good idea to get one eventually.

Yep, and you're going to want Trials HD and Shadow Complex at the very least. :) You can also optionally 'install' games to the HD to make them run a bit faster. I've purchased over 50 XBLA titles and probably spend more time playing downloadable games than retail games - go for the 250GB!

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
So the games don't run smoothly without downloading to the HD? All the games I DL are on the PS3, I'm only may download ilomilo and poker.
Yep, and you're going to want Trials HD and Shadow Complex at the very least. :) You can also optionally 'install' games to the HD to make them run a bit faster. I've purchased over 50 XBLA titles and probably spend more time playing downloadable games than retail games - go for the 250GB!
I'm not a real big fan of casual games.

Xplode22

May 10, 2011
Visit site
So the games don't run smoothly without downloading to the HD? All the games I DL are on the PS3, I'm only may download ilomilo and poker.

I'm not a real big fan of casual games.

It's not an issue of smooth. It's an issue of load time. Obviously, anything needing to be loaded from the disk is going to be slower than loading it from the HD. I usually put the 2-3 games I'm playing most on the HD. It just cuts down on the load times between scenes or various parts of the game. It doesn't affect the actual game play.

Paul Acevedo

Writer
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Also, while many downloadable games are casual, there are tons of hardcore games too, such as the Dead Rising games I mentioned earlier, Contra, RPGs, etc.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I bought the 4GB model for our second xbox that was meant only for casual gaming/movie watching. It was fine till I decided I wanted to download a game direct from xbox live rather than go buy the disc. Then later I bought a game with all the expansion packs included and I couldn't load them. So it all just depends on what games you're going to play. I ended up buying a 250GB drive and it's likely you will too eventually. Alternatively you can buy a 32GB flash drive and just plug it in for some more space.

mYth

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Get the 250 version. Seriously you'll be deleting game data, deleting the cache, etc. just to play a game. i had troubles with the old 20gb versions (xbox and ps3) and all i did was play video games, no movies, xbla games, nothing. Just games, save data, and about 1.5 gb of halo 3 films saved.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Couldn't wait, just got my 360! I was able to get Halo 3 for 8 bucks. If you have any other older games you don't want, list them, and I'll see If there are any I'd like.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
no it's not typical... try installing the game to the 360 and see if that reduces the noise. maybe that's why i don't notice it. i install every game to it.

list of games:

1. homefront (played twice)
  2. halo reach (played for a week)
  3. assassin's creed: brotherhood (played for an hour)
  4. nfl madden 11 (played for 2 weeks)

Venelar

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Holy crap, this game disk spinning is LOUD! Is this typical! And why is Gold Membership needed to use Zune Pass! Grrrrrr.

which console version did you get? I'm still rocking one from launch day and its like a plane in my living room it's so loud. the new "slim" and elites (iirc) are MUCH quieter.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99