Xbox one microphone support for cortana

timcarnes23

May 29, 2014
Visit site
When will microsoft do the obvious move and support microphnes on xbox one or make their own microphone? Now that kinect is dead, make a usb attached microphone that can activate cortana. It needs to be under $30, but that seems more than possible. Also, how about a media remote with a microphone?

It just seems odd how microsoft puts a lot of effort into cortana on xbox and then basically lets it flounder. They were ahead of the game on voice control in the living room, and then gave up and let amazon and Google take over. I do not understand. They do still want people to actually use cortana, right?

Manus Imperceptus

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Who cares? Cortana is of zero use to 75 % of the worlds population, and of very little use to 92 %... And here we're just talking of people with access to her, not people who can actually find any meaningful use for her regardless.

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
They had Kinect which did this and killed it. So, why would I trust them to make something else and support it? The only they should do is enable to use of any mic as timcarnes23 stated.

manzanotti

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'd rather they allowed you to use a Windows Hello camera for facial login, then I could ditch the Kinect completely. That would also come with a microphone that could be used for Cortana.

BanditoTR

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
Alexa is the bomb, but Google Home is just pure crap. Alexa at least has useful skills aside from buying Amazon products while Google can only be used for two useful things and that's it.

Vincent McLaughlin

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Improving the Kinect to include those features would have been more ideal. Even if game developers didn't flock to create games that used it, certainty Cortana, with proper updates would have made the Kinect more useful.

With proper updates, I would love for Cortana, with proper support for an updated Kinect to recognize me, when I walk in the room. With a built in speaker, Cortana could ask you what tasks you would like to complete, when you walk into a room. Having multiple Kinect devices would enhance that feature. So much MS could have done to beat Amazon to the punch. It's not necessarily too late, but MS will have to very aggressive with development, marketing and support. On top of that, the product will have to have skills out the *** to compete.

The funny thing is, I Remer a time when, Cortana was included among the AI assistance in the media. If MS truly wants it to succeed, this year is crucial. I understand that MS has huge plans, but they've had huge plans before and dropped the ball for one reason or another.

Drogers180

Jan 19, 2018
Visit site
Microsoft should bring back the Kinect and support for the Kinect. The Kinect is a fixture of my home and is integral to my home entertainment system. It controls my Tuner, TV, cable box and allows me to control my apps. I love the Kinect and am very distressed that it will no longer be supported or made. not to mention that I will not be able to upgrade to the Xbox One X due to the cost of the Xbox Kinect adapter since its termination as a Microsoft product. I was all set to spend a lot of money on a new Xbox one x and 4k TV to support the benefits of the new Xbox. But since the Kinect will no longer be supported and the cost of the adapter is almost the same price as the Xbox One X I will not be upgrading. When my current Xbox one dies I will have to find another second hand because I do not want to get rid of the Kinect. Xbox has always dominated the home entertainment field but with the recent news it is falling by the way side. Alexa and Google home are great toys but there functionality when it comes to the Television is lacking. I can’t turn on all my devices at once like the Kinect does with either of them. Sure I can turn on a coffee maker or turn my lights on and off but those are just fun pointless home automation fads. The Kinect remains to be more useful in my smart home than any of my other devices and I have several. You want some advice Microsoft make the Kinect what it should have been an all in one device controller that works with all of the most popular apps like Netflix, Hulu and amazon. The gaming aspect of the Kinect never worked but the voice automation was always a winner. Sorry for the long post this has just struck a nerve with me. I support all Microsoft products and will continue to. I hope Microsoft decides to support the customers who have been with them from the beginning. Thank You.

DontBeEvil10

May 31, 2017
Visit site
When will microsoft do the obvious move and support microphnes on xbox one or make their own microphone? Now that kinect is dead, make a usb attached microphone that can activate cortana. It needs to be under $30, but that seems more than possible. Also, how about a media remote with a microphone?

It just seems odd how microsoft puts a lot of effort into cortana on xbox and then basically lets it flounder. They were ahead of the game on voice control in the living room, and then gave up and let amazon and Google take over. I do not understand. They do still want people to actually use cortana, right?

Microsoft should simply open the kinect technology to OEMs like logitech they could release webcams with kinect (compatible with pc, xbox, SDK) ... even better if usb-c

A-Ch

Jan 19, 2018
Visit site

At this point, Microsoft needs to up its game and create Cortana access devices itself and with partners for all kinds of situations - Home (XBox Camera/ Mike, Xbox Voice Remote, Music Pod, Smart TV App/ TV Remote), Office (Mike/ Conference Speaker, Digital Pad for Room Control, Wireless Bluetooth Speaker, Cortana-enabled Tablet etc). Cortana should be an integral part of the Mixed Reality/ AR/ VR headsets - Whether Oculus Rift or Samsung or Lenovo or Dell or Acer ...).

In addition, Cortana needs to have more "skills" - integrating into every possible application/ life situation.

The way Alexa and Google Assistant is growing ...

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Been saying this for over a year now. It is an obvious bit of technology that could be a cheap add-on that creates a powerful solution and useful. I think it would be better to have a speaker too for when you're not in the Xbox UI. Xbox = brains and display, box = speaker/mics.

Roman DeSilva

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I think Microsoft should NEVER have killed off Kinect. Frankly i don't think it's to late for them to reverse this BAD decision. They make LifeCam. Why not make a camera that's Windows Hello compatible, build in things like an IR blaster for controlling things like a TV or cable-box and call it Kinect 2. Because I can't see what the point of Cortana being in the Xbox if the only way to access her is with a headset. The only reason why Kinect is dead is because (wait for it) Microsoft had a bad launch xbox one launch where everyone got mad because the PS4 was $100 cheaper. What Microsoft shouldv'e done is eaten the cost of the Kinect, kept the kinect as a mandatory part of the Xb1 and sold the system as if the Kinect wasn't attached. They spent WAY more money on the xb360 red ring debacle & unlike that, they'd have made the money back with apps and games purchased in the store for it. But Microsoft typically doesn't learn from failure. They run from it. Had they done this, they may well have had the jump on the Amazon Echo.

SvenJ

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I'd rather they allowed you to use a Windows Hello camera for facial login, then I could ditch the Kinect completely. That would also come with a microphone that could be used for Cortana.

Bingo! How about just putting in the drivers so we can use any web camera, cheap, Logitech VTC, Intel Sense, whatever to do this stuff. Then we could do some Hello recognition, Skype, even Cortana. I bought the Kinect and damn adapter for my Xbox one primarily to do Skype video with family.

ITMedCEO

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
As far as the demise of Kinect goes. Does everyone know that Apple may indeed own most of the IP for the Kinect tech? They bought PrimeSense for 360 million a few years back. So, hmmmm... har far could Microsoft could of gone without forking money to Apple?

NickChief

Jan 13, 2018
Visit site
No, Cortana should be a mic, that acts as a central hub / router, for all devices, along with being able to communicate with other Cortanas, including but not limited to, Kinect...

anon(10399841)

Jan 21, 2018
Visit site

Should have happened BEFORE they cancelled Kinect!...infuriating...it seems the favorite pastime of the bureaucrats who run Microsoft is - insulting their customers and fans :grin:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gamedi