XL Bing / Cortana search issues, what do I do?

thevern

May 2, 2016
Visit site
XL Bing / Cotrana search issues

Hi Everyone.

Not seen any posts on this yet so thought I'd start a new thread. I've a UK, open sim Lumia 950XL currently on the 3 network.

Yesterday the Cortana search / Bing search started doing odd things. If I search for anything, either typed of by voice, I get a box appear stating -

"Search for app in the store?" - "You need to install an app for this task.. Would you like to search for one in the store?"

I've had no updates or not changed the phone at all. Anyone else had an issue like this? The only thing I've done of late is add my Microsoft Band2 to the phone (which also only sync's when the mood takes it).

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: XL Bing / Cotrana search issues

Hi Everyone.

Not seen any posts on this yet so thought I'd start a new thread. I've a UK, open sim Lumia 950XL currently on the 3 network.

Yesterday the Cortana search / Bing search started doing odd things. If I search for anything, either typed of by voice, I get a box appear stating -

"Search for app in the store?" - "You need to install an app for this task.. Would you like to search for one in the store?"

I've had no updates or not changed the phone at all. Anyone else had an issue like this? The only thing I've done of late is add my Microsoft Band2 to the phone (which also only sync's when the mood takes it).

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

what build are you on? Seems like fast insider build have reported this

Sathya Ch

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Re: XL Bing / Cotrana search issues

Sorry to pile on here. I am seeing Cortana crash 2 out of 3 times I search for something :(

Anyone else seeing the same issue?

thevern

May 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Buddy.

Current build is showing as 10.0.14267.1002.

Pretty annoying now as the functionality is really limited by this. Also pretty poor that for a flagship phone compatibility with Band2 is so poor. :angry:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi Buddy.

Current build is showing as 10.0.14267.1002.

Pretty annoying now as the functionality is really limited by this. Also pretty poor that for a flagship phone compatibility with Band2 is so poor. :angry:

Are you able to upgrade to a higher build? Seems this one is behind

thevern

May 2, 2016
Visit site
Are you able to upgrade to a higher build? Seems this one is behind

Hi. I did a hard reset this evening and still the build is the same, no updates available. I'm very disappointed to be honest with this device. Since my last posts the phone is constantly overheating and turning off, Cortana works when she feels like it. Certainly not the levels of performance I expect from a flagship phone.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi. I did a hard reset this evening and still the build is the same, no updates available. I'm very disappointed to be honest with this device. Since my last posts the phone is constantly overheating and turning off, Cortana works when she feels like it. Certainly not the levels of performance I expect from a flagship phone.

install windows insider app, enrol to either fast or slow ring and follow instructions. You should be able to get a new build.
Also, you can get a great experience if you were on the official threshold builds of 10586.318 and not an insider release. Since you chose to be on a testing channel, you cannot expect to get 100% working features on a software in development

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
install windows insider app, enrol to either fast or slow ring and follow instructions. You should be able to get a new build.
Also, you can get a great experience if you were on the official threshold builds of 10586.318 and not an insider release. Since you chose to be on a testing channel, you cannot expect to get 100% working features on a software in development

Yep, I'm on .318 currently, it's almost rock-solid (okay an occasional hiccup, but it's as good as I've seen since 8.1), and I have full-featured Cortana Voice support. I'm a bit picky about this too, I worked on design for some Android voice components for about a year, so I have a fair idea on vocabularies and context and the like, I test it from time to time, just because ;-]

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Yep, I'm on .318 currently, it's almost rock-solid (okay an occasional hiccup, but it's as good as I've seen since 8.1), and I have full-featured Cortana Voice support. I'm a bit picky about this too, I worked on design for some Android voice components for about a year, so I have a fair idea on vocabularies and context and the like, I test it from time to time, just because ;-]

about overheating:

A few things you can try out:
  • Check settings >system > battery > which apps are using the most energy?
  • Again, in battery section, which apps can run in the background? Can you disable those you don't need? Keep messaging enabled to run in background
  • In battery section, you can also set up battery saver to kick in when the battery reaches a certain percentage. I keep mine on 100% so it's always on battery saver mode
  • In mail app, how often do you have mails to sync? Generally the longer the time period, the less the battery usage
  • What about brightness settings? Is it on high or auto? Auto is better than a fixed setting
  • If you find that messaging app uses a lot of battery, this could be because it's linked with skype. Go to messaging app, settings and unlink skype
  • In photos app, do you have auto upload of photos enabled? If yes, try to not upload high res photos and videos unless you are charging the phone and on wifi
  • When you use some apps that are not data heavy like whatsapp or mail, you can use a lower network speed like 2G. It's what I do usually. I only use LTE when I have to use 6tag
  • If you're using edge for basic browsing, you could try using UC browser. Not only does it use less data but you can also disable images which means you save even more on data. The less data your phone has to receive, the less the energy used
  • In settings > privacy - check each of those settings to see which apps can use what. For example I can't understand why Word would need to access location info so I disabled that. There might be apps using services that they are not meant to use
  • Finally, keep wifi/cellular off when you don't need to have them on. The toggles in action centre are pretty fast so it doesn't take much time in switching internet on/off
  • Disable auto update of apps, you only update when you are ready and not when you are in need of critical things

Hope this helps you

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss