yet another ridiculous windows phone is failing article..

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Don't take what's written out of context...

How is that outdated or incorrect. Windows 8 does share lots of features with Windows Phone, including Live Tiles. The writer simply gave one example.

And it is correct that Microsoft can potentially leverage their huge Windows market to promote their Phone OS, .

It's laughable as Microsoft don't need to be told by the website that they can leverage one product with the other.

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
As a previous iphone and android junky, I am making the switch to Windows phone, I don't believe its going anywhere as a matter of fact if android doesnt look out it will loose share. I am an avid tech guy and have done all the jailbreaking, rooting etc etc and I have come full circle I just want a phone that is efficient, sleek and has an all encompassing UI, which seems to be windows phone and iOS. I'm all iOS'd out so i decided to test windows phone and got to say am extremely excited to get my lumia!

I'm pretty much in the same boat, except with the iPhone. I would never buy an iDevice, and support Apple's reign at the top. Once I got my Dinc, I rooted it and ROM'd it. I can't stand HTC Sense, but got a good B1G1 deal. Now I'm done trying to play leap frog with rom's and maintain good performance out of my DInc, so I've been looking into WP. I really want one, definitely going to get one... just waiting for Verizon to get better phones. Rumors are that it'll be 2013, but I can't wait that long.

alaskanjackson

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Can any of you Defenders of Windows Phone living in the US currently use voice search or voice text?
I use both voice search and voice text on my Titan and they work fine. I actually sat next to my nephew with his 4s and my Titan consistantly got accurate voice search results faster than his Iphone. Both devices were using the same ATT network.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I fail to see the issue with Nokia becoming the sole OEM for Windows Phone eventually. Apple is the sole manufacturer for the iPhone and it isn't hurting them?

sault

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
i went in to get a micro sim for my Lumia 800 today and ask the ladies in the front if they had a 900 to see and she said "umm, no not yet" and i said, "well i've been reading that employee's are supposed to have gotten them already" she ask a guy if she had the lumia and he acted stupid like he didn't hear her and she repeated herself and he said "oh yea, i have it right here, here you go... i haven't activated it yet and i probably won't " i asked why..? he said "because i dont like windows OS"... stupid guy. After i got my micro SIM and asked him that I had tried every OS and only liked WP7 now he said "that he didn't like how it was so plain and no apps" so i just walked away... Another employee asked him if he knew what drop box was so he could transfer his iphone stuff to the Lumia 900. I heard him say, "i'm not even gonna use it, all they have is angry birds and nothing else" I swear, this is why WP7 is doing so poor, because idiots are stuck with their androids and iOS devices. if they only gave it a shot.

So to my understanding they got the Lumia 900's for free and are just asked to use them by AT&T?

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
i went in to get a micro sim for my Lumia 800 today and ask the ladies in the front if they had a 900 to see and she said "umm, no not yet" and i said, "well i've been reading that employee's are supposed to have gotten them already" she ask a guy if she had the lumia and he acted stupid like he didn't hear her and she repeated herself and he said "oh yea, i have it right here, here you go... i haven't activated it yet and i probably won't " i asked why..? he said "because i dont like windows OS"... stupid guy. After i got my micro SIM and asked him that I had tried every OS and only liked WP7 now he said "that he didn't like how it was so plain and no apps" so i just walked away... Another employee asked him if he knew what drop box was so he could transfer his iphone stuff to the Lumia 900. I heard him say, "i'm not even gonna use it, all they have is angry birds and nothing else" I swear, this is why WP7 is doing so poor, because idiots are stuck with their androids and iOS devices. if they only gave it a shot.

So to my understanding they got the Lumia 900's for free and are just asked to use them by AT&T?

OMG, I can't believe that you witnessed that. I swear that some people are so narrow minded about things these days. I'll try anything new and interesting. I've been doing research on the WP7 and been to the store plenty of times to play with it. Even though there might be a few shortcomings, I think it's still worth a shot. I wouldn't consider myself an early adopter, but I'd like to be one of the folks that didn't bandwagon like folks did with the iphone. I was one of the first to get an iphone, people laughed at me. few years later, they have iphones too. I no longer have an iphone. I have an android now.

It sucks that people swear what they have is the best for everyone, when honestly it's probably the best for them. I fix computers for a living. I'm not a wannabee smartphone geek. I get tired of fixing my androids. iphones for the most part simply just work. I'm assuming the WP7 is the same...simply just works, but with a little added flare that is different than the iphone.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

Where I am the ATT store has them for employees but until they have had training this week (t omorrow) they cant have them ion the sales floor and cant let anyone see or play with them.

mattpga

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I think the article has made some very good points.

The lack of vendors has been a problem. Not enough choice for consumers and all at the top end of the price range.

Don't see Nokia only being a bad thing. Apple manages with 1 handset.

As for consumers, i expect the majority, and in my experience, simply arent interested in whats out there until its upgrade time, and then get whatever the network/shop is pushing at them and couldnt tell an apple from a mango anyway. And most suppliers/networks are overwhelmingly pro android.

I think things are starting to change with some carriers. Noticed Orange UK pushing Nokia 710 as the business handset of choice where before any wp7 was buried at the bottom somewhere.

The ONLY marketing i've seen is for the lumia. Nothing else has been visible. Up until then its been absent or useless.

I dont think the figures for the last quarter of 2011 can be taken to mean much when the 800 had just come out and 710 and 610 werent even about, and it seems they are selling well. Add the 900 to that and the titan 2 and if things havent improved by last quarter 2012 i'll be very surprised.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It's laughable as Microsoft don't need to be told by the website that they can leverage one product with the other.
Not really. WP7 will be out 2 years by the time W8 cones out and there are basically no real integrations in Windows 7, and Windows 8 doesn't look that different.

Microsoft has traditionally need weak in integrating their products. I guess they prefer the cloud route these days, though.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft will not dominate the market with WP7.5 or even WP8/Apollo, it'll just stake out a position on the market that will result in profits. It's part of Microsoft's plan to stay relevant against other IT/tech firms as they expand further into the PC and living room/gaming domain. That doesn't mean WP will fail, I think it is poised to capture about 15~20% of the global market in the future, and give "WP9" a basis to use as a point of expansion in later years.

Of course, one can hope for some huge upshot in sales from China, Middle East, India, etc. Alternatively, one can also hope for Microsoft to no longer charge a licensing fee to OEMs for using Windows Phone (perhaps rely on the end user's reliance on the MS eco-system as the source of revenue instead)? That might push some OEMs to focus their models on WP, perhaps entice emergent OEMs to rely on WP?

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I fail to see the issue with Nokia becoming the sole OEM for Windows Phone eventually. Apple is the sole manufacturer for the iPhone and it isn't hurting them?
Big differences between Apple and MS. MS's strength is it's diversity brought by the multitude of hardware manufacturers that build for Windows.

Think about this for a second.

The tablet market is the next frontier.--> Manufacturers that have been building Android tablets are also long time Windows hardware manufacturers --> They haven't seen much success with those Android tablets despite pouring millions (billions?) into it --> The have to be looking forward to the opportunity Windows8 offers them for another shot at the tablet market.

It's all about Ecosystem, the "3 screens" and integration. I want my data to sync and pass seamlessly between my 3 screens. Windows8 offers the best prospect (IMPO) for being able to do that.

I WANT Samsung, and Acer, Dell and Toshiba (Fujitsu), to continue to make Windows Phones.

If Android continues to spin it's wheels trying to get traction in the tablet market, and Windows8 becomes a legitimate competitor to the iPad that can only be a very, very good thing for Windows Phone.

So I want Nokia to have great success with WP. Heck, I want to be able to buy a slick polycarbonte WP8 and matching Nokia ARM tablet this October as a package deal (with PureView camera please). But I also want to look at a slick fresh design of a phone from Samsung and big brother x86 Transformer style laptop to match as well.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Big differences between Apple and MS. MS's strength is it's diversity brought by the multitude of hardware manufacturers that build for Windows.

Think about this for a second.

The tablet market is the next frontier.--> Manufacturers that have been building Android tablets are also long time Windows hardware manufacturers --> They haven't seen much success with those Android tablets despite pouring millions (billions?) into it --> The have to be looking forward to the opportunity Windows8 offers them for another shot at the tablet market.

It's all about Ecosystem, the "3 screens" and integration. I want my data to sync and pass seamlessly between my 3 screens. Windows8 offers the best prospect (IMPO) for being able to do that.

I WANT Samsung, and Acer, Dell and Toshiba (Fujitsu), to continue to make Windows Phones.

If Android continues to spin it's wheels trying to get traction in the tablet market, and Windows8 becomes a legitimate competitor to the iPad that can only be a very, very good thing for Windows Phone.

So I want Nokia to have great success with WP. Heck, I want to be able to buy a slick polycarbonte WP8 and matching Nokia ARM tablet this October as a package deal (with PureView camera please). But I also want to look at a slick fresh design of a phone from Samsung and big brother x86 Transformer style laptop to match as well.

Apple is proving the 1 OEM model is superior to the multi-OEM model. Apple makes 70% of the entire mobile industry profits with just 3 iPhone models and the 3G iPad.

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Just my 2 cents.

Point by point:

1.Lack of vendors - I see this as a good thing actually. Certainly it would be nice to have a pool of vendors eager to drop new phones, but at the same time, the more vendors you get the more cloudy the water is. At least now while the OS is gaining momentum, I think a smaller number of really great devices can make a better impression, than a gamut of mediocre ones.
2.Nokia - Ok, we knew back when Nokia and MS got in bed together things would get spiced up. Again, I don't see this as a drawback. If other vendors wish to compete with Nokia, they will have to step up their game and make phones that are even better. Which will mean more sales for them, and better selection for consumers.
3.Consumer Knowledge - This is a tricky bit simply because how are you supposed to know about something you never dealt with? The majority of the people that "know" IOS or Android is because they know someone who has one. This can only improve with time as the user base gets larger.
4.Carriers - Obviously this person has not seen the hype and buildup that AT&T is having for the Nokia Lumia 900. Granted, they never cared much before, and I can only assume that Nokia had to really toss some cash to get them interested. Still, this is a complex issue. Carriers are going to push phones that sell quickly, and if that means the latest Android or Iphone, there you have it. As for Verizon, being that they got burnt once by MS (Remember the Kin?) They might be a bit reluctant to hop into things again. This like consumer knowledge can only change with time. As more users begin to use the OS, the more the various carriers will have to support it if they wish to get customers buying new phones every few years.
5.Android licensing - This one really surprised me. First off, you don't give a piece of your pie to the other guy unless you think you have stolen some of his pie to begin with. As in, you would not pony up licensing money unless you either thought it would be too expensive to fight it, or you think you are gonna lose in court. Regardless, the author of this article misses the point. If I have a widget in the market, and people are buying it, you better have one too. Also, this is business, its not the playground. Regardless of how upset you might get at MS and fees you might be paying, the bottom line is money, and if I am paying you for Android, why not cut that out and just pay up for Windows Phone? If anything the licensing fees are more incentive to go with Windows Phone than Android.
6.Marketing - I would agree with this, except I have seen marketing from MS for Windows phone, and I don't think that is the problem. The problem is "how" they are marketing. They finally seem to be waking up and realizing that they have had issues in this arena in the past, and hopefully in the future they can create some advertising that will really wow consumers. I was really hoping they would pop in a nice add during the Super Bowl this year, that would have been epic!
7.Target audience - OK, this one here really through me for a loop, as I can't see how the Windows Phone cannot be fully functional as both a business and a consumer friendly phone. I think this they could not think up a point to add here and so they just tossed this in for giggles.
8.Link to Win8 - Again, they are tossing stuff to the wall to see what stick. So what that Win8 is coming? Whats that got to do with WP7 now? Right.. nothing. Its like saying you should tell people to buy this years Dodge RAM pickup cause next years will be so cool...
9.WTF? - OK... this one is really stupid.. I mean common. Which one is best? Whoever wrote this kinda missed the point of WP7. At least until low end Tango handsets come out, for the most part you will get the same experience on any phone. As in, the HTC Titan is not a completely different experience as my Focus S. Therefore, you get the phone that actually suits you instead of someone telling you which one is the "Best". Maybe you don't want that large screen and want something smaller. A different color? Get a lumia, don't want to spend that much, pick up a Focus Flash. Its a business thing called giving the customer options.
10.Vision - I think MS has been pretty clear on where Windows Phone is going. Whats more, if anyone has a problem with "vision" I would say its Android. You can pick out five different handsets and get a completely different experience on all five. So one would say either its a lack of vision on their part, or they simply cannot create any cohesion within the ecosystem. Whereas WP7 has stayed the course, and improved itself without allowing itself to be fragmented and destroyed. Not only does that show "vision", it also shows that it will remain consistent while still improving.

I have to be honest I don't really follow eWeek, and I am certainly NOT the person to probably go to to ask about whats going on in the mobile phone universe, but I think a lot of what this article was about simply was they needed to toss something out there, and its easiest right now to pick on WP7.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Not really. WP7 will be out 2 years by the time W8 cones out and there are basically no real integrations in Windows 7, and Windows 8 doesn't look that different.

Microsoft has traditionally need weak in integrating their products. I guess they prefer the cloud route these days, though.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

What are you talking about? They are going to share an entire ecosystem among some other integration's.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
As a couple of others have said, I think it's important that Apollo is released before the next iPhone is released. I don't know how many feel like me, but if Apollo isn't release by my next upgrade I'm going to have a hard time sticking with WP.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
As a couple of others have said, I think it's important that Apollo is released before the next iPhone is released. I don't know how many feel like me, but if Apollo isn't release by my next upgrade I'm going to have a hard time sticking with WP.

Why? There isn't going to be anything super special about the 5. Fancy sounding and gimmicky features still limited by battery problems

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Why? There isn't going to be anything super special about the 5. Fancy sounding and gimmicky features still limited by battery problems

Im with you on this one. I've underestimated apple before, but I don't believe there will be anything extra special other than a LTE capable radio. I did hear they were upping the size of the screen though. But yeah, it's all speculation on both Apollo and the iphone 5. Ipad 3 was a highly anticipated device. While the sales are good, the actual customer reaction is, meh on most fronts. Some say it's better than the ipad 2, but not by THAT much.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

I happen to like the iphone for one. I don't think it's perfect by any means, but at this point I can live with the weaknesses of the iphone more than the weaknesses of WP. In all fairness I think WP 8 will address some of the issues I have with the platform. When it's time to upgrade I plan on doing like I did this time and spend a lot of time playing with phones in the store and reading lots of reviews.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05