Your faith in WP8

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I still have a lot of faith in WP8. I speak for myself here as I know different people have different needs, but at the end of the day my phone is mainly used for calls, texts, emails, checking sports score, some browsing and a game or two when I'm bored. I know each OS can do those things quite well so my preference for WP8 is purely a personal one. The other things like certain missing apps, notification centre, little features here and there are just gravy so I'm not pulling my hair out over them.

I have also stopped reading so many tech sites and blogs, and reading other forums because at the end of the day I realized that I have been putting too much thought into a mobile device. I think sometimes people take these things too passionately and forget that it's just a little electronic gadget. I don't have time to read petty insults back and forth between fans of different OSes.

I thought I should add that people assume that MS is taking too long to release updates and such but we do not know what is going on behind the scenes. If we can see these issues then surely they can too. Anyone who has written code before will understand that sometimes adding a new little feature can take a **** of a lot coding and debugging to get right.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Not being an android user and not having had an iphone since 2009 was just wondering what are Apples and Googles responses like when you fire questions at them about the OS problems and needing fixes? Arent they the same as MS? Silent until they have something, promising the world at launches and not delivering, ignoring cries from the users.

All companies are the same. They take your money and try to sort enough of the issues out before your contract is up. I dont think its a question of faith with WP8 more than it is with apple or android. There are enough cases of people sick of stale iOS and enough people bored with what android offer. There has probably been similar conversations on other forums about faith in Blackberry.

Im on a 2 year contract and pretty much stuck with my 8X until October 2014 without paying out a large fee to switch early im not going anywhere. Faith has nothing to do with it.

To clarify I am perfectly happy with both my phone and the OS

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
He probably meant that for emphasis but bold type (when possible) works just as good :wink:

One of the biggest tech world mysteries of 2012. Everybody was led to believe Microsoft was hiding something BIG for that Oct 29 press conference. What a waste of time it was.

Off topic but I find it interesting that you went with a pregnant wife in your example. If I were to guess, cheating husbands probably do the least amount of cheating during that time period. But...cheaters are cheaters so who really knows?

I'm with you here. I can tell you are/were a WP7 owner. I was too. It was painful. I almost got a 920 but then I saw the old Microsoft was back, releasing half-baked stuff. I jumped to iOS to avoid the pain (iOS is not without its share of pain, that's for sure) but remain hopeful to return to WP, when MS gets its act together.

Yea, leaving people in the dark like that just to play like the whole 3rd grade "you can't see what I'm doing so you can copy it" crap was a completely dumb move. What are other Apple, Google, or RIM going to copy from Windows Phone; it's the other way around, where MICROSOFT would have to copy since THEY'RE playing catch-up right now, with those other companies (maybe the exception of RIM) caring less what Microsoft does/doesn't....

The only reason I plan on giving Windows Phone a chance is because recently, the apps I have been waiting for are finally here; again, voice assistants with natural conversation and language support are showing up (hey, I'm a busy dad with 3 girls and can't always type....sue me....), and Gameloft is pushing the games (Asphalt 7 starting things off, plus their posting saying the rest were coming this month). If I can get a Windows Phone, along with cash to make up the loss I would have to take when I sold the Windows Phone (since they sell for peanuts), I'll switch back and try to stick it out until the next iPhone/Nexus devices are released....

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I used to have faith, but it's quickly waning. The mess that is the WP8 syncing app and Xbox Music has pretty much ruined the WP8 experience from me. I couldn't have been happier with WP7 and Zune (that's not entirely true, there was stuff missing of course) and was an advocate for the platform. I just can't recommend either Windows8 or Windows Phone 8 to anyone, MS has failed in the execution completely. I think the idea is right, but MS is fumbling the ball in about every single corner.
You mention one issue (or set of issues) and say it's failing "completely." that don't not compute. Music playback is one planet in the smartphone galaxy (sorry) of functions, but it is only one. Granted, it's one that is bugging me right now, but I'm not having so much trouble that I'm ready to #switch back... :) :clownface

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Another potentially positive thread turned into a whinefest...

Yea, leaving people in the dark like that just to play like the whole 3rd grade "you can't see what I'm doing so you can copy it" crap was a completely dumb move. What are other Apple, Google, or RIM going to copy from Windows Phone; it's the other way around, where MICROSOFT would have to copy since THEY'RE playing catch-up right now, with those other companies (maybe the exception of RIM) caring less what Microsoft does/doesn't....

It may have been a hindrance to developers but you can't also fault MS for wanting to protect their intellectual property. In a world where Google and other companies are notorious for "borrowing" ideas from other companies it makes total sense. Even if WP is playing catchup there were still some features that MS need to keep under wraps. And if you think other companies don't care about what MS is doing with WP then you are mistaken. Just look at how Google likes to schedule their events for the same days as WP events.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Another potentially positive thread turned into a whinefest...It may have been a hindrance to developers but you can't also fault MS for wanting to protect their intellectual property. In a world where Google and other companies are notorious for "borrowing" ideas from other companies it makes total sense. Even if WP is playing catchup there were still some features that MS need to keep under wraps. And if you think other companies don't care about what MS is doing with WP then you are mistaken. Just look at how Google likes to schedule their events for the same days as WP events.
With this in mind then, what would they have really given away by providing early access to the SDK? What were they really hiding that was really worth letting WP8 out the gate with nearly NO new apps (especially the ones that were supposed to be available at launch)? From what I can tell, absolutely nothing....

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Please remember the rules people. I am going to keep a keen eye on this thread. Any issues and I will be going in to sort things out. I may be a radio presenter but I multitask like WP! :winktongue:

Easy-G

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm on team BB10, but that could certainly change if WP8 comes out with a decisive edge. In the darkest regions of my soul, I'd like to see Microsoft swallow up BBRY and come out with a WP/BB ultra-productivity-sex-phone.

That said, I think people are crazy if they aren't at least considering WP8. Hardware-wise, the Lumia 920 is probably the best value of any high-end smartphone currently on the market. Software-wise, they hit a lot of the top apps and have first-party office support. I guess the devil is in the details.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm on team BB10, but that could certainly change if WP8 comes out with a decisive edge. In the darkest regions of my soul, I'd like to see Microsoft swallow up BBRY and come out with a WP/BB ultra-productivity-sex-phone.

That said, I think people are crazy if they aren't at least considering WP8. Hardware-wise, the Lumia 920 is probably the best value of any high-end smartphone currently on the market. Software-wise, they hit a lot of the top apps and have first-party office support. I guess the devil is in the details.

Doesn't do anything productive at all. I'm interested in seeing what other 123 posts have been like and where.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I have faith that WP will be around for a long time. How else is MS going to fix all the problems? I don't have so much faith in them becoming a dominant third. I think WP, BB, and Ubunto are going to bounce around 3rd and combined, might get 10% of the market. WP has absolutely nothing to offer but a different UI right now. And MS doesn't appear to be in any hurry to give us the basics, let alone something people just have to have. The integration of MS looks good on paper, but realistically its 2-3 yrs from being usable and 5 yrs from being a must have. Just my opinion.

halimaw96

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Honestly? I've lost my faith in WP8. It's really, REALLY good hardware, hampered by an OS that still needs some development. The several OS bugs I've encountered are big enough that I'm really considering jumping ship. And let's not forget MS' promise of the top 50 apps on iOS and Android. Remember when they said those would be ported over? Yea, I've given up on that too.

Don't get me wrong. WP8 is a good OS in its own right. Just needs some big fixes. I might revisit it in a couple years or so.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I've lost my faith in Microsoft to make sound decisions on handling issues with the platform. Sure, I do think their snails pace in fixing stuff could improve. But more than that, communicate with consumers. I know there was some tweets about the "other" storage and the Twitter integration. But there needs to be more. Someone with an interest in the platform needs to sit with some execs and address every issue a fan has and get some answers. Ask some real questions

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
iOS and Android took full advantage of those moments in the market to blow up into the industry leaders they are today. A simplistic view says that the best thing Apple did was besides put out something different in the marketplace was to lock the iPhone to specific carriers. Once they thumbed the nose at folks, the jailbreak movement started and much of the secondary innovations adopted by Apple was seen initially pioneered by jailbreak devs.
Android blew up between the Galaxy S line as a hit, after Moto and VZW hit a home run with the OG Droid as carriers searched for something to compete with the iPhone during those exclusive years.

WP8 finally has a signature device in the Lumia 920 that has done some but not all of the things impact wise like the early iPhones and OG Droid + Galaxy S line. MSFT needs to leverage the impact so far of Gen 1 WP8 with stellar legacy support...timely updates and adding on new features to mature the platform quickly. If they are able to do so well for the rest of 2013, they will be a shoe in for 3rd place.

I say, stick around if you can folks. It is easier to build good looking house with a solid foundation in a nice area than to buy a reclamation house in a great neighborhood that cost more to get it restored.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I still much faith in WP8, in that MSFT did the smart thing with the kernel shift. The promise of getting better hardware support over the next two years was more appealing than the maturity of WP7. If done correctly, we should get to a more mature OS faster than what we saw in WP7. 2013 hasn't finished its Q1 yet...

WPhantom

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I have faith in WP8, I have been an Android user all my life, Galaxy S, HTC Sensation, Galaxy S2, S3, now got a Lumia 920. I'm more of a linux and open source maniac, still I got WP8 and loving it. I think MS can bring it up if they start "showing" their care to masses. Ofc we all know they care, but not everyone understands that.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
People are also quick to forget that Apple was painfully reminded of how important PROPER legacy support was to user satisfaction and getting buy in/repeat business with hardware upgrades. Has anyone ever used an iPhone 3G on iOS 4.0 when it first came out? It was atrocious. It is why you can argue the best iPhone to date is the 3GS from a legacy standpoint. If MSFT takes good care of its WP8 users it will win back folks in the same way that Apple did with some of the old iPhone Classic users who complained about not getting iOS4 on their device at the time.

I think MSFT realized it was better to get the right type of hardware out their to offer better legacy support to, no matter how smooth the OS ran. So a redesigned kernel and good Gen 1 WP8 hardware is a great start. Now they need to fill out the OS more with smart choices and market and support the #$@! out of the platform.

tqlla3k

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
People are also quick to forget that Apple was painfully reminded of how important PROPER legacy support was to user satisfaction and getting buy in/repeat business with hardware upgrades. Has anyone ever used an iPhone 3G on iOS 4.0 when it first came out? It was atrocious. It is why you can argue the best iPhone to date is the 3GS from a legacy standpoint. If MSFT takes good care of its WP8 users it will win back folks in the same way that Apple did with some of the old iPhone Classic users who complained about not getting iOS4 on their device at the time.

I think MSFT realized it was better to get the right type of hardware out their to offer better legacy support to, no matter how smooth the OS ran. So a redesigned kernel and good Gen 1 WP8 hardware is a great start. Now they need to fill out the OS more with smart choices and market and support the #$@! out of the platform.

MSFT left behind their entire user base, because upgrading "Legacy users" .... "wasn't necessarily the most efficient use of resources".
That's sad and embarrassing. They left their ENTIRE base behind, to save costs. "LEGACY USERS" are people who bought phones just a 3-4 months ago. Months, not years.

To make it up to them, they release an update that allows the tiles to resize... Seriously? New apps aren't even backward compatible with WP7. Thanks MSFT. And the added insult to injury is this data eating livetile bug, that's been known for a month. MSFT is just now getting around to thinking about fixing it.

I don't care about the debacle when iOS4 came out. A wise man learns from the mistake of others. MSFT hasnt learned from the mistakes of others, they havent learned from their own. They didn't support last years WP7.5 users, but don't worry... WP8 users "Definitely wont get left behind"

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Tqlla, this is a multilayered issue here rather than just merely abandoning legacy users.

Firstly, all WP7 devices didn't stop working once WP8 was launched in November. WP7 is a solid mature platform. If someone wants to test drive WP, I?d recommend them getting a good used WP7 device, especially a Radar or Lumia 710/800/900 if you want to hold onto your upgrade. If you've noticed, at least in the US now, everything is done around the 2 year contract. Whenever hardware is released now, it is mostly targeted to first users of a platform or people off a contract. For example, a large chunk of the Galaxy S 4 sales will come from people upgrading a Galaxy S 2 or those making the switch. They won?t make as much money from people ditching their Galaxy S3s to upgrade. When consumers buy a subsidized handset, most people aren't looking to upgrade it ever year because handsets are still expensive. Many people buy a phone to do what it can do out of the box for as long as it makes a difference for them. So, there will still be people using WP7 because it has more to offer them at this point than WP8. I cannot blame those folks for riding it out since WP8 is merely 4 months old.

Apple has historically put out one device at a time, so maximizing software updates are easier to do - for both the hardware and demands of the OS itself. Android has issues because you can slap it on any combo of hardware - which is a great strength - but if you're into the latest and greatest software wise, most flagship phones have a slightly older version of the OS because that was what was best optimized with their skins at the time to get it to market.

Apple made the 3GS such a great legacy device because the hardware was a means to an end....content consumption, where the real cash lies. Apple has pushed the constant update and app craze because that SOLE reason. You don?t just by an iPhone, you buy the experience of owning one, if what they sell people. MSFT didn't have a well integrated content delivery system, but they had pieces of one - Xbox, Zune, Skydrive, Skype, Office, etc. Once they saw what it would take to fully integrate that, they realize rewriting the code and getting the right minimum hardware requirements in the hands of users (dual core + 512mb RAM) was the way forward. It just makes sense to have the right minimum hardware specs to match because it allows to still have a great user experience on hardware that they can afford. While the 3GS has run 4 versions of iOS in its life, the user experience has suffered with each update in terms of smoothness.

Remember, many people don't update their phones. Most buy a phone for what it can do for them right now, and those who are making a truer type investment in their handset will find a way to get something more "future proof". MSFT is trying to address that with good minimum requirements (dual core 1Ghz + 512ram) as opposed to the maximum requirements the OEMs gave us during WP7 (1.4+Ghz + 512ram). The Lumia 520 and 620 are great at this you're getting great mid range (early 2012) proven hardware at entry market price. Throw on top a fresh design and a better to support kernel, you've got a great potential mix. That's why Huwaei is on board as they can push WP8 in emerging markets. Nokia is in every market, as seen by all the Lumia lines because it HAS to sell WP. So you will see: Huwaei + Nokia in emerging markets, Nokia + HTC + Samsung in the mid range and high end for right now.

Comparatively speaking, I think WP8 is ahead of both iOS and Android at a similar point in their lifecycles. But it is unfair to compare a more mature OS like iOS (content consumption delivery wise) and Android (hardware versatility wise). As a pure OS, WP8 is much better than Android Eclair and iOS3.

In Android land, Google has OEMs supporting hardware for 18-24 months worth of official updates. That makes sense because those wh root will extend the of the phone. I think that the 24 month support is about right, and I'm sure they have the business analytics to back up the 24 month model update wise with flagships running from 12-18months in shelf life.

Here's the comparison over a 2 year period of the update frequency:

Nexus S (stock Android) and Galaxy S2 (flagship phone): 2.3 to 4.0 to 4.1

WP7: Initial to Nodo to Mango to 7.8/tango

That?s about the same...we all know Nexus S stopped officially at 4.1 and the S2 probably there as well since Samsung may spent more time on the S4 and the S3 this year.

I didn't put iOS because Apple, currently only launches one device annually and as such has better control over updates because they may have up to only 3 (maybe 4) iPhones in the wild at a time with the same base version of iOS - but with only the two most recent models running the OS close to "what it should be".

Am I blindly following along with MSFT? My handle should answer that. Yes, they have made some mistakes but of where the hardware is right now MSFT needs fully integrate their offerings and the new code allows that, making updates easier for users to get. They did the back end stuff with WP8 that an end user doesn?t see readily. So if someone who has WP7 asks me to switch? Hardware wise, make the jump. Software wise, wait until later in the year when hopefully the app catalog really starts to fill out, and the Xbox Music issues get ironed out and the notification center comes. Remember, MSFT doesn?t make 3rd party apps.

There is still plenty of 2013 left for them to make a splash and even bring back legacy users when they are ready to upgrade. Well, that?s my (long winded) take anyways

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital