YouTube App: Microsoft got the blame for Google's actions .

cuwe

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Reading the reviews on the YouTube app is pissing me off . Seems that some off them are still not realize what had happened .

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Reading the reviews on the YouTube app is pissing me off . Seems that some off them are still not realize what had happened .

Not everybody is reading WPC or a similar homepage.

Every normal person would just buy a phone, install the Youtube app, having a great experience, install an update and suddenly it is crap. This would **** me off too.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that is the visible problem. It is at least working now, I am sure that if people install it and dont like the experience they will try to find alternatives and will come across the other awesome youtube apps on WP

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
MS deserves the blame here. The real reason that a compliant HTML5-using app for WP is impossible is noted here:
Internet Explorer 10 brings HTML5 to Windows Phone 8 in a big way

Specifically:
Differences with Windows 8

There are some minor differences between Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 8 and Internet Explorer 10 for Windows Phone that you need to be aware of. Internet Explorer 10 for Windows Phone does not support the following:

Inline video

To clarify, a third-party Youtube App can be written in any language, but the actual video playback must be in an HTML5 frame, using the inline video spec which cannot be done on IE for WP. This allows Google to properly track ad views and other metrics. If MS had spent time fixing WP rather than trying to make this a PR issue, WP would have a much better YT app now.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Believe me it won't. Google will made everything to prevent it from happens. Google=EvilCorp.
If Google wants ads to be served, why not help MS to integrate it into native app?

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Believe me it won't. Google will made everything to prevent it from happens. Google=EvilCorp.
If Google wants ads to be served, why not help MS to integrate it into native app?

Why should they have to do this just for MS, when it's MS' own fault that an app cannot be built in the way everyone else does?

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site

Also, look at the situation now.

If Google wanted to properly kill YT on WP, it is within their power to block Metrotube and other third party apps, and possibly sue the creators into bankruptcy. But yeah, strongarming small developers is not exactly in their history. That leads me to believe that they just want MS to play by the rules.

lantern20

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Then Google should create a 1st party app for Youtube, just like it has for other platforms? That way, the apps can all be HTML5, just like iOS & Android are now, right?

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Then Google should create a 1st party app for Youtube, just like it has for other platforms? That way, the apps can all be HTML5, just like iOS & Android are now, right?

iOS and Android are not HTML5, because Google is a first party here and does not have to abide by the restrictions they place on 3rd party apps. Just like how the Office apps on WP are better than the other third party Office apps on Android, because MS has capabilities third parties do not, because they are a first party to Office just like Google are for Youtube.

And I believe if and when WP has sufficient marketshare, they'll write an app for it. The ad revenue from 10m users, even assuming that all of them have great data connections and use YT every day, will not be enough to offset the cost of developing and maintaining an app. A lot of WPs or rather a lot of Nokias are sold in countries like India where many users do not have access to good 3G or WiFi connections.

lantern20

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Do as I say, not as I do?

What is the magic marketshare?

Are there no official Office apps on Android & iOS?

As to the "cost of developing and maintaining an app" was there any cost to google to allow the high quality MS Youtube app?

Lurchorama

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
"You need to remake *our* app in HTML5"
"But our platform doesnt support inline video in HTML5 yet"
"Stiff s**t"
"But none of your other platform apps require HTML5"
<insert evil laugh here>

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
"Stiff s**t"
<insert evil laugh here>

Exactly. But people still think its not googles fault.... Clearly Google is being unfair. If MS had behaved this way, they would have been sued by now, but Google just sits pretty. I dont like Google at all.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Do as I say, not as I do?

What is the magic marketshare?

Are there no official Office apps on Android & iOS?

As to the "cost of developing and maintaining an app" was there any cost to google to allow the high quality MS Youtube app?

YT is Google's brand - MS would not like it if Google or anyone else reverse engineered the Office app on WP8 and made an Android or iOS app? The same applies.

Magic marketshare = Non-hilarious in the USA, which is their #1 revenue market for advertising.

The official Android app at least is nothing more than a webView to a mobile Office365 site - not a full featured local client like the ones on WP.

lantern20

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Didn't google say they were going to work with ms on the app, what happened there?

At least there is an "official" app.

ag1986, out of curiosity, which WP are you using?

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
"Stiff s**t"
<insert evil laugh here>

The way that SHOULD have gone is:
"You need to remake your app in HTML5"
"But our platform doesnt support inline video in HTML5 yet. Alright, we'll fix that screwup and get back to you"
"Alright"

See what I did there? If MS really had their users' interest at heart (which some of us find hilarious), they would have fixed that. FFS, they've ben dickering over this for months now - don't tell me a company of MS' size cannot push through a crash project to fix this lack of HTML5 inline. What would have happened IMO is this:

WP Team:Hey, we need you guys to fix the inline video issue with IE in WP.
IE Team: LOL, why would we do that for you?

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Didn't google say they were going to work with ms on the app, what happened there?

ag1986, out of curiosity, which WP are you using?

I have an L920 Developer Edition, which is mainly a testbed we got when we were considering making WP one of the supported platforms for our company's employees. But a Nexus 4 is my primary phone. We ended up rejecting WP because of the usual reasons - no VPN, insufficient lockdown capability, and mainly unable to use multiple accounts on the phone and select between them for Skydrive, the Marketplace etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo