Zune Pass - Download vs. Buy

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
With a Zune Music Pass subscription, what's the difference between downloading a song without buying it and buying a song (using one of the 10 monthly song credits)? Either way, the song ends up in my collection on my phone.

Also, either way, songs also end up on my PC after syncing.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Downloading, means the tracks will have DRM protection. (Rental) You can't burn them to CD.

Buying them they are clean and you can play them anywhere or burn them to CD. :)

Also when your Zune Pass subscription ends the DRM tracks will no longer play.

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes, pseudo: whether you simply download a track or an album, or you choose to buy it at any time with credits or points, your music will sync with, and then reside on, any of the up to 4 (or 6) devices you have added to your account. All of your collection will play equally on all devices, and even simultaneously. Bear has identified the limits of non-purchased tracks. All your purchases will be listed under Settings/account/purchase history in Zune, and the properties for each purchased track in your collection will read "no" under DRM. For non-purchased tracks, DRM will have an expiration date that is updated each month you are subscribed -syncing updates those dates on each device. I have an annual subscription, but mine still have monthly expirations that update each month automatically. Finally, for (most all) non-purchased tracks, each DRM will also read "has sync rights, no burn rights" in parentheses. (I say "most all", because I do have a few that say "no sync rights.."; yet, these DO synch, so I suspect these are typos. I've never worried or asked about these few which I didn't notice until months after downloading and into my subscription.) Zune Pass Rocks... ;)

Mike-Mike

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I was hesitant at first, not being able to "own" songs, but the Zune Pass is such a deal, I figure with my WP7 and soon to be bought off eBay Zune HD, I really don't need to be able to burn cds. My truck has an aux port, and obviously my pc and phone keep me around my music consantly. The only thing I lose is the ability to burn cds for friends, but I rarely did that anyhow

failmatic

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Does zune pass allow you to keep music on your zune so you dont have to load it off their server every play? Like a DRM file tied to your account and when your account expires, your zune wont be able to play them anymore. Or is it like an on demand service?

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Does zune pass allow you to keep music on your zune so you dont have to load it off their server every play? Like a DRM file tied to your account and when your account expires, your zune wont be able to play them anymore. Or is it like an on demand service?

Yes, as I meant to communicate by "resides" above, your whole collection -consisting of thousands of downloaded tracks from MS servers, and ripped tracks or albums from your CDs, any mp3s you own, are ON all your devices, limited only by their respective storage capacity. Your collection music is not streaming; it is playing from your built-in or expandable memory, and thus it will play without any connection, anywhere, limited only by your battery life. You can also stream unlimited music, without downloading it, with your Zune Pass, and for that you do, of course, need to be connected to MS servers. Also, to use certain Zune music features --such as Smart DJ, which finds related music like certain other services, you also need to be connected.

And, yes, when you stop paying for your Zune Pass, only your own music will continue to play on all devices. That is the Deal.

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help.

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere...

The $9.99/mo option does not include the 10 DRM-free songs per month and the $14.99/mo plan w/10 song credits will still be available...is this correct?

Edit: NVM, found info in another thread. duh...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leliawindler