Phone as modem

dawnmoore72

Dec 29, 2009
www.beermugmafia.com
I'm pretty hot right now. When I bought this phone, I thoroughly did my research (well at least I thought I did). Sprint's online user guide has a section on how to use the phone as a modem. Low and behold, it doesn't work! When you call Sprint they say they haven't offered phone as a modem to people since February of 2006. Funny that a brand new phone's user guide would provide a section on how to use it if they don't offer it. I never had phone as a modem before but have needed it several times in the last year, that's why I bought this particular phone. Anybody have a fix for this problem? (And no I can't switch carriers or return the phone, it's past 60 days.)

kraski

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
Anybody have a fix for this problem? (And no I can't switch carriers or return the phone, it's past 60 days.)

There are two apps to help with that: WMWifiRouter & PDANet. There seems to be varying success with both. Some people rave about WMWifiRouter & a lack of success with PDANet. I've never gotten WMWifiRouter to work on 3 different WM phones. But PDANet has worked with a USB connection without my having to do much of anything. So, try them both & see which works for you.

Edit: Almost forgot. At least some of the models of the TP2 include internet sharing, which is basically what the above apps do. But I don't know if that's been left on the Sprint version or if Sprint will do that without software help. Perhaps someone who's on Sprint can address that for you.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I paid for a copy of WIFI router and I use it all the time but if you dont want to have to pay just google WIFI router there are free versions floating arround. Also do a search for internet sharing there are free versions available. For me the one time $30 and forgrt it I paid for WIFI router was well worth it

kraski

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
I paid for a copy of WIFI router and I use it all the time but if you dont want to have to pay just google WIFI router there are free versions floating arround. Also do a search for internet sharing there are free versions available. For me the one time $30 and forgrt it I paid for WIFI router was well worth it

Same for me with PDANet. I never could get WifiRouter to work right on any of my WM phones. Other people love Wifirouter & have issues with PDANet. I've never figured out why one will work for some & not the other.

mixman

Apr 25, 2006
Visit site
Kraski - I just took a look at some of your screen shots on another thread and saw you had weather for B'more. I'm darn close and my office is downtown B'more (hon).

I've had a number of WM phones over the past few years and just got the TP2 a few weeks ago. I've always had great luck with any phone and ICS (search for "ics.cab" to find it). I used PDAnet for a while and it always worked too. But I've also run WMWiFiRouter for the past few years and have had wonderful success with it, no matter what device.

Note: I agree with Big D, do the trial and then BUY the program. It's the "right" thing to do (although ICS is free).

kraski

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
Kraski - I just took a look at some of your screen shots on another thread and saw you had weather for B'more. I'm darn close and my office is downtown B'more (hon).

I live in Baltimore, work in Edgewood. The nice part is going opposite to rush hour traffic. ;)

I've had a number of WM phones over the past few years and just got the TP2 a few weeks ago. I've always had great luck with any phone and ICS (search for "ics.cab" to find it). I used PDAnet for a while and it always worked too. But I've also run WMWiFiRouter for the past few years and have had wonderful success with it, no matter what device.

Note: I agree with Big D, do the trial and then BUY the program. It's the "right" thing to do (although ICS is free).

I've never had success with ics or wifirouter, but pdanet works like a champ. If you read enough threads there's another group that seems to only have success with wifirouter. And a third group that thinks the rest of us are nuts for spending money on wifirouter or pdanet, when ics is free & works for them. :rolleyes: Which is why we all say try them & find which works best (or maybe just works). Then the op can decide if she wants to spend money to do that.

mixman

Apr 25, 2006
Visit site
Dang. That is a better commute than mine. I have to head in to B'more each morning from Carroll Co. with the masses!

I'm typing this from my ski place in SW Pennsylvania. Up on a mountain in the middle of nowhere. One bar of service if I'm lucky on Verizon (ATT, Sprint, and T-moble have nothing here), but 3 bars with my outside antenna and Wilson Amp. I get 600k of download, 300k of upload with WMWiFiRouter. I'm online on my laptop, the wife is online on her iPod, and our guests are online on a laptop. ICS.cab works too for me, but then it's hard to share.

Those that think we're crazy for paying a measly $30 for a program that works for such applications have probably never heard of copyright infringement :)

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
wmwifirouter has made me hard reset my device twice now. won't use it. i have had no problems tethering my phone straight to a laptop using ics. not sure why you are having problems. you might to change something in your connection settings. i had to, but can't remember what now. look under tweeks and i'm sure it's there.

vzwdroidtech

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty hot right now. When I bought this phone, I thoroughly did my research (well at least I thought I did). Sprint's online user guide has a section on how to use the phone as a modem. Low and behold, it doesn't work! When you call Sprint they say they haven't offered phone as a modem to people since February of 2006. Funny that a brand new phone's user guide would provide a section on how to use it if they don't offer it. I never had phone as a modem before but have needed it several times in the last year, that's why I bought this particular phone. Anybody have a fix for this problem? (And no I can't switch carriers or return the phone, it's past 60 days.)

on another site (***-developers.com) there is a CAB file floating around that makes the TP2 a mifi for vzw devices, should work on any CDMA TP2.

Good luck..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon