TP2 screen won't wake up

dtreo

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
So ever since I updated my Sprint TP2 with the official release 6.5, it's getting progressively more buggy as the weeks pass. Today is a classic example of the issue I'm seeing. Driving in the car with the phone on the passenger seat with the screen powered off, I pull up to a long light and grab the phone to check a recent email, but the screen won't wake up. Nothing wakes it up - power button, slide open, talk/end buttons, nothing. It takes a battery pull to get it to reset. This is happening for no apparent reason about 2-3 times per week now, aside from my normal power on/off reset about every other day. Obviously, with the slow reboot, the screen wakeup issue is not good when I need to use the device. Occasionally, the screen won't wake up, but the talk/end/home/back keys will light up, so I know the power is obviously on, but the screen won't wake up.

Question - is this a WinMo issue or an HTC hardware issue?

I had this happen at times with other phones and I've wondered if it's OS-related or hardware.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
First question in my mind is do you have any programs loaded to the storage card? I have not seen this on my TP2 usually these bugs are caused by software you have installed or maybe something you removed but did not get completely removed. Have you ever tried a program called MemMaid? Give it a shot at cleaning your phone it has a trial period so it wont cost you anything to try it out.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Try the mem maid and see if that solves the problem as per BigD5. Do you use the web a lot? If so you may need to clear your browser cache. Check and see how much memory you have free also.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
The BSOD's (Black Screen Of Death) is usually caused by a program trying to update while the device is asleep. In the early days this had a lot to do with programs installed to the storage card but with all the space available on these device I just never install anything to the storage card. There are some that have rumored that with the Sprint TP2 this can be caused by changes in the available signal ie doing in and out of roaming the fact that this happens when you are driving brings me to this conclusion. I would try removing the SIM card unless you are out of the country your not using it anyways then set the device to Sprint only in network settings. Let me know if this helps you.

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
also possible causes include the new sprint sense 2.5. If you have a lot of items in any one sense tab (emails, contacts, texts, music), it can cause the phone to freeze. It will usually wake up eventually.
Personally, I gave up on sense and went with mobile shell, though the new custom ROMs using compressed versions of sense seem to be just as fast and customizable.

dtreo

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the thoughts. I'm wondering why it's getting progressively worse though? I've had the phone since Oct and the scrreen not waking up happens once or twice per day now. Also, when I pull the battery and restart it gets stuck loading Sense and seems to stall out more often than not. Is this a Sense issue? Or a low memory issue? I keep all of my files and programs (Google Maps, Opera Mini 5, etc) on the card, so the system memory stays higher.

Should I replace the battery?

I had so many issues with my Treo 800w (which I loved) that made me get the TP2, but this is really starting to make me consider moving to Android. Blackberry seemed so inefficient without the touchscreen, so that didn't last a month for me, but the keyboard is so helpful for long work emails.

Maybe a move back to Blackberry until WM7 comes out in the fall - which better be more stable than Sense over WinMo6.5.

Anyone else having TP2 issues? What device would be the next best option on Sprint? EVO is having a few issues as well, no?

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Some programs when loaded an the storage card can cause the BSOD (Black Screen of Death) I would try uninstalling all the program that are loaded to the storage card and re install to the device. Most programs take up a very small amount of memory with available memory on the TP2 loading programs to the main memory wont even scratch the surface. Are you having low memory issues?

aiiee

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I also have the BSOD issue. Verizon TP2 w/winmo 6.5. I removed all programs from storage card. I do use home screen wallpaper from there. Still won't wake up sometimes. Usually after it's been sitting awhile. I'm dl'ing MemMaid now to see if that helps. Would appreciate any advice at all, Verizon had no clue.

Another clue: If I connect the phone by USB cable when it's asleep, nothing happens, phone won't wake up. If I do it a second time, phone wakes up! aiiee..

Last edited:

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Attached is a .cab for clear RAM that could help it has an auto clean feature I had mine set to clean every 3 hours but once a day would be fine. MemMaid is a great cleaner but it has not been updated is a while so some of the features are missing when you use it on a TP2. Try clear RAM then post back and let me know if it helps.

aiiee

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Attached is a .cab for clear RAM that could help it has an auto clean feature I had mine set to clean every 3 hours but once a day would be fine. MemMaid is a great cleaner but it has not been updated is a while so some of the features are missing when you use it on a TP2. Try clear RAM then post back and let me know if it helps.

Thanks! I will definitely post some feedback here as soon as either I get a SOD or a day or so passes and I will be sure I'm out of the woods. This issue has got *everyone* stumped.:thumbsup:

haha, it's been all of 10 minutes but so far so good. I think you're on to something here, maybe :)
It does make sense in that the SOD issue seems to get worse the longer the device has been continually running, and a reset resolves it, temporarily . Stay tuned :)

Well it's been about 18 hours now, and the results are mixed. While the phone did not SOD for at least 6 hours, then it did. And, when I soft reset it, the phone no longer was recognized by VZW ( which they fixed ). So, I then added all running processes to CleanRam's exception list, and the phone no longer 'de-authorizes' itself, but after about 6 hours it goes back to SOD state. I have CleanRam running every 3 hours , doing a level 2 clean. I'm trying that for now. At PPCGeeks, one "Mr. X" claims to have a rom he left stock but replaced the driver he claims is causing the SOD. If this doesn't work ( I'd rather not have to worry about unlocking and relocking my phone ) I guess I'll try that next.

Last edited:

aiiee

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
seems to be getting worse as time goes by

It went full tits up, would SOD every time it went to sleep. I flashed it with a Mr. X ROM that was supposed to fix SOD and it worked until I put it in the charger overnight. SOD on disconnect from charger. Not sure where I'm going next, but no fixes anywhere in sight. Thanks anyway.

Last edited:

aiiee

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
This is my second replacement :rolleyes:

Found some stuff about Sleep Of Death ( SOD), reflashed phone with Mr. X WM25 'fixed' ROM, seems to fix 99% which is more than either HTC or VZW was willing to address.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes