Has Nokia / MS gone INSANE!!! by targetting low end devices!!!

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I disagree. Even "flagships" today are an absolute bargain when you consider the full retail prices from smartphones of a few years ago. My favorite Windows Mobile phone was the HP iPAQ 910c from 2007. Sticker shock? Try $650 on for size. Those 650 bones got you a 416mHz processor, 128mb RAM, 2.4" resistive screen, WM6.1, 3.2MP camera and the best keyboard ever put on a phone (sorry BB fans). My Treo 650 from 2004 was about the same amount and boy was that thing a spec monster.

If a high-end phone from 2014 can cost the same as one from 10 years ago, I'd say STFU (not you in particular) and enjoy the best bang for the buck you'll ever see. A Lumia 635 goes for $100 out the door! That's crazy when you factor in B4YB.

But that's exactly the point I am making. Their are plenty of bargains out there that do exactly what people would need them to do, as you say you can get a 635 for $100 and a 930, which in my opinion is a better overall phone than the iPhone and less than half the price. There's no need for people to buy an iPhone if they want top spec, in fact based on specs alone it's nowhere near the top phone, so the only real reason for most people buying the iPhone is as a status symbol.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
It bothers me to but I understand their motive for doing that. The Lumia 530 is their best selling phone. Which means its the low end - mid range devices are the ones that are selling well. But by doing this, Microsoft is pissing its long-time WP users who wants to upgrade BUT attracting new users. They should release one high end device for every two low end-mid range device.

The problem is if only 10% of your customers buy the flagship model - and it's probably less than that - why would you do that? That's why supermarkets don't show you shelves of fishing tackle as soon as you walk in. To be successful you have to appeal to the masses, not the minority.

To be honest I take the opposite view. Flagship phones are expensive so I don't want to have to replace mine every few months to have the latest kit. I'll be perfectly happy with my 930 for at least another year, and money in the bank to boot.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The thing that kills me about all of this is that the same people begging for a new high-end device yesterday will be begging for a trade up when they release Windows 10 and the actual high-end devices that they want to release, the ones they've taken their time with and developed in parallel with Threshold. They'll be broke from just blowing money on an out of contract phone and will somehow blame Microsoft. If your pocket is seriously on fire and needs to dump dead weight that badly, just Paypal me $600.

chris722

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
It's called bait and switch. Sell a phone for $35 today, turn people onto the ecosystem and they'll purchase a $200 phone tomorrow. Technically, you don't need that $200 phone because the $35 phone still works well, but you want it to run games and other apps that do not work on 512 MB of RAM. I think it is a sound strategy.

The iPhone 5C isn't the worst thing in the world. It still sells unlocked for $400. Apple's problem isn't that the phone is low end, but that a low end iPhone, is merely an older iPhone. So the issue is not that the 5C is a piece of junk, but that you can still get by on an old 4S. Apple also cannibalizes the iPhone when they release two models every year, as opposed to one; the 5C is a very good example of what happens when that strategy does not play out as initially planned.

With WP, no one in their right mind wants older WP that run 7, 7.5, or 8, so there is an incentive for Microsoft to develop low end phones that ship with 8.1.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
the only real reason for most people buying the iPhone is as a status symbol.

Nope, can't get with you on that one.

Me neither. I am far from an Apple fan, but Apple is where it's at for a reason. They earned their respect fair and square. It is still arguably the best overall experience you can get on a mobile device. I have lots of friends who use iPhones and/or iPads, and as far as I know none of them do it for status. However, a lot of them probably use Apple devices because it's what they know and are familiar with. Anyway, Microsoft would do anything necessary to get the following Apple has if it was possible. Don't blame Apple.

several potatos

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Me neither. I am far from an Apple fan, but Apple is where it's at for a reason. They earned their respect fair and square. It is still arguably the best overall experience you can get on a mobile device. I have lots of friends who use iPhones and/or iPads, and as far as I know none of them do it for status. However, a lot of them probably use Apple devices because it's what they know and are familiar with. Anyway, Microsoft would do anything necessary to get the following Apple has if it was possible. Don't blame Apple.

Gonna disagree. Having worked as a salesman in T-Mobile for so many years, I have noticed that virtually all iPhone accessories accommodate the large-*** Apple logo on the iPhone, regardless of the effect on the product. People want to show-off their expensive purchase.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
It could be better if Microsoft brings some form of pre order system or flash sales for those who are interested in flagship windows phone if any can get it.Produce only flagship as per demand if any.Then there will be no loss.Those guys very much interested in flagship if any will buy it.For others not willing to go for windows phone flagship will be happy with low or mid end.
From Windows phone

SlickShoesRUCrazy

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
It could be better if Microsoft brings some form of pre order system or flash sales for those who are interested in flagship windows phone if any can get it.Produce only flagship as per demand if any.Then there will be no loss.Those guys very much interested in flagship if any will buy it.For others not willing to go for windows phone flagship will be happy with low or mid end.
From Windows phone

all they got to do is do what oneplus is doing, but without the invite system.

Just manufacture along side demand instead of having tons of stock just sitting on shelves constantly.

And of course make a damn ultra high end phone that runs on EVERYTHING lol. not just select carries.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Here is another example which shows the incompetence of Nokia / MS. MWC is an event, most of us eagerly await for.

Samsung will come up with Galaxy S6 ,
Sony will come up with amazing Xperia Z4,
LG will come up with Optimus G3 Pro or G4

and what Nokia / MS answer to these devices will be LOW END PIECE OF JUNK!!! Atleast they should have launched a 1520 successor, that would tear the back of Note 4.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon