So when exactly do you guys think the flagship will come??

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
No way they would treat the Motherland so poorly! I really need it to hit this year. Although, my 920 is still running well.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I thought they committed to more devices, but no specific mention of flagship devices. Hurrah for another set of anonymous budget/mid-rangers!

Yeah, they have confirmed that a flagship will come with W10 for phones. They have also stated that it is coming after the desktop launch. Sadly, I think any flagship will just miss out on an 820 Snapdragon.

uberlaff

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I honestly don't think MS cares about a flagship device anymore and are more than happy with budget devices.

I think they are going to try for someone completely new with the flagship.

They need to make waves and a high end Lumia won't be enough. This is where I think the surface phone makes sense even if it isn't branded as surface. The surface found a niche and this new phone can probably fill a similar niche.

If I were them I would spend as much time on the marketing and positioning as i would on the actual device.

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
My guess:

If we'll see new models this week they'll be available a month later, just like most other models released. Because of that they'll come with WP 8.1.

Launching new models this week and make them available when W10 is finished would be a paper launch, and I don't think MS wants to do that. There's really no point in waiting. MS sells much more units now than a year ago, launching a 940 now (or last month) would be perfect for them.

Dunno if we'll see see a 1040, but if we do, maybe it will show up with the W10 launch?

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I doubt there will be a proper announcement at build. But they may hit at new devices coming. There will certainly be some trickle news in the next few weeks. I mean off the record hints that find their way onto WC et al.

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Here's my take on it:

- Ideal situation: Summer around June/July
- More realistic situation: September or further since Microsoft wants to bundle new phones with W10 straight away
- Sad and stupid situation: November/December, it's bye bye Microsoft for some by then.

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Here's my take on it:

- Ideal situation: Summer around June/July
- More realistic situation: September or further since Microsoft wants to bundle new phones with W10 straight away
- Sad and stupid situation: November/December, it's bye bye Microsoft for some by then.
I'd say it all depends on whether the new models are finished. If they are, why on earth would MS wait for W10 before launching?
Three reasons not to wait if the models are ready now.

- The sooner the new models hit the market the better. Does anyone think they'd make MORE money by waiting FOUR months?

- If MS waits for 4 months it will coincide with Apples launch, and what's the point of that?

- Maybe MS can't really tell at this point when W10 will be finished, and if that's the case, it's pretty hard to plan the launch of upcoming models if it all relies on whether the OS is finished in time. It's better to release new hardware and software independent of each other. I remember the Nokia N8, announced in April, but available in November, just because they had to wait for the OS to be finished.
Now MS isn't Nokia, but I think MS understands that a lot more can go wrong when you try to launch both new hardware and software at the same time.

Also, the 930 was launched on April 2 at Build 2014.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Well according to new ms is in the hole with the Nokia buy ! Mean while apple us doing amazing. Wont be surprised if ms axes flagships till there finally out of the negative with the Nokia buy out. At the end of the day you can only blame ms no one else. Not consumers as there's no marketing, not carriers as ms doesn't care about in store marketing....why should att or other carriers.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Don't you think Microsoft should release only one type of phone design, with two variants, just like iPhone? And then release upgrades of the same model every year. The XL version as the flagship and the non XL version as the budget phone.

Example :
Microsoft Lumia 10 and Microsoft Lumia 10 XL.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Actually you don't have to worry. Just like our unique fingerprints, every mobile phone has a unique radio fingerprint which cannot be cloned (even if they have IMEI number).

Secondly as mentioned above by yourself (mikepalma), GSM works with sim card and cloning of a sim card can only be done with physical access to it.

Even if there is any fraud with IMEI or any info of your phone, you can register a case with the police and they can easily find out that your are not responsible for it, by using the radio fingerprint.

Ok thanks, confusing BC of the diff opinions, and I am no expert!

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I'd say it all depends on whether the new models are finished. If they are, why on earth would MS wait for W10 before launching?
Three reasons not to wait if the models are ready now.

- The sooner the new models hit the market the better. Does anyone think they'd make MORE money by waiting FOUR months?

- If MS waits for 4 months it will coincide with Apples launch, and what's the point of that?

- Maybe MS can't really tell at this point when W10 will be finished, and if that's the case, it's pretty hard to plan the launch of upcoming models if it all relies on whether the OS is finished in time. It's better to release new hardware and software independent of each other. I remember the Nokia N8, announced in April, but available in November, just because they had to wait for the OS to be finished.
Now MS isn't Nokia, but I think MS understands that a lot more can go wrong when you try to launch both new hardware and software at the same time.

Also, the 930 was launched on April 2 at Build 2014.

Some fair points, and I image launching software and hardware at the same time could be problematic. However, if the hardware launches with the new OS, then there are less phones to update. You want as few devices as possible to update. I know that they are staggering the rollout though. Surely got to be some launch devices.

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
However, if the hardware launches with the new OS, then there are less phones to update.
You're right, however, it makes me wonder though, how much is that worth? Is it worth waiting a few months to launch a model? I find that hard to believe.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
As a Verizon user I am not very optimistic. Most likely I will have to wait 6 months after a flagship releases on at&t whenever that is. Thankfully I just gave in and got an Icon which is a great phone and will get me through!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes