The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-12-2015 01:12 PM
216 12345 ...
tools
    First beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the look of the 950XL. Next, why do they "have" to be beautiful to compete? You people make no since.
    Miss phone of the year goes to ... ;)
    MarkusDindu likes this.
    08-27-2015 02:49 PM
    First beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the look of the 950XL. Next, why do they "have" to be beautiful to compete? You people make no since.
    Because it is all about appearance in this society. Anyway I think they will look great!
    08-27-2015 03:07 PM
    Throw a big round button on these babies and you'd have iPhones.
    08-27-2015 03:30 PM
    Window Hello still looks sexy on these phones.
    08-27-2015 03:37 PM
    Everyone here missing the point. We are all windows phone fans here - if msft succeeds in getting us to buy these things they've failed. We're stuck at 3% market share and if that doesn't turn around soon Satya is going to kill WP - well be buying android or iPhone and using office/OneDrive over there. The real question we should be discussing is whether anyone we know is going to look over our shoulder on the bus and say "hey, that Cityman/Talkman looks awesome, trade you my GS6/iPhone6/Note4/M8/Xperia for that!"? If msft does not do that with these phones they've failed - we are all going to upgrade regardless, and in a year msft will tackle mobile with plan b. I think the collective debate and complaints from this community regarding the renders is the real fear that the phones are good enough for us, but not for our friends/co workers who already think we are crazy. I am personally not a fan of the renders, but I reserve judgement until I see them in the flesh. Regardless, I'll probably buy one, but I can't help but wonder why I shouldn't switch to android now instead of in a year's time when msft forces me to do so. Let's hope that launch had some surprises!
    08-27-2015 04:14 PM
    Don't wait.
    08-27-2015 06:45 PM
    I was reallly unfavorable of the design once I saw evleak's leaked renders. Now, as I see it, if these are the real deal, I might go buy one of these because they are bland (for my taste), which is an advantage. Living in a country populated with people who would rob you your highly priced phone due to their premium design made me realize that "Hey, having a simple looking phone with beast specs are good as well", since these phones have a lower chance of being robbed and lower chance of me crying like a baby for a robbed 600$ (I guess) phone.
    Nogitsune Micah likes this.
    08-27-2015 09:07 PM
    Everyone here missing the point. We are all windows phone fans here - if msft succeeds in getting us to buy these things they've failed. We're stuck at 3% market share and if that doesn't turn around soon Satya is going to kill WP - well be buying android or iPhone and using office/OneDrive over there. The real question we should be discussing is whether anyone we know is going to look over our shoulder on the bus and say "hey, that Cityman/Talkman looks awesome, trade you my GS6/iPhone6/Note4/M8/Xperia for that!"? If msft does not do that with these phones they've failed - we are all going to upgrade regardless, and in a year msft will tackle mobile with plan b. I think the collective debate and complaints from this community regarding the renders is the real fear that the phones are good enough for us, but not for our friends/co workers who already think we are crazy. I am personally not a fan of the renders, but I reserve judgement until I see them in the flesh. Regardless, I'll probably buy one, but I can't help but wonder why I shouldn't switch to android now instead of in a year's time when msft forces me to do so. Let's hope that launch had some surprises!
    This guy gets it.

Personally I don't mind the look of these devices, and specs matter more to me (than looks), but it is exactly as you said.
    Joe Dubya likes this.
    08-27-2015 09:56 PM
    I just remember how i liked the L900 design and initially didn't like the 920 shape that much, too bulky and heavy but the moment i saw it in person and hold it, my opinion changed... the phone started to look much nicer in person than those pictures renders.

In my opinion, both phones look OK... not ugly but it the lacks the "bling" factor, personally i don't care that much about the aesthetics of the devices as long it remains functional and durable it's all good for me.
    Alain_A likes this.
    08-27-2015 10:12 PM
    It's better not be glass or metal otherwise they will keep it.
    Glass breaks (Note 3) and metal dents and\or bend (BlackBerry Passport)
    Slovenix likes this.
    08-27-2015 11:05 PM
    It's better not be glass or metal otherwise they will keep it.
    Glass breaks (Note 3) and metal dents and\or bend
    I, too, really find polycarbonates sturdy.
    Slovenix likes this.
    08-27-2015 11:06 PM
    I wouldn't mind if MS surprised us with translucent polycarbonate backings. Just my opinion.
    Slovenix likes this.
    08-27-2015 11:22 PM
    Attachment 111096
    man if I am saying it looks cheap, let me give a reference, compare lumia 535 and lumia 950/XL on the face side by side and you'd say the cheapness overflows
    Actually neither look CHEAP to me...

My Lumia 640 is $100 and even then it doesn't look cheap nor does my 640 XL.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-28-2015 01:36 AM
    I wouldn't mind if MS surprised us with translucent polycarbonate backings. Just my opinion.
    My dream phone since ever :D
    08-28-2015 02:58 AM
    08-28-2015 03:42 AM
    Btw, can someone tell me why the phone in leaked photo has the same start screen as of the original render months ago? (and with the old smaller tile size)? Are they testing 1st insider build on it?

Yes background is different, but why that background is blurred between the tile spaces too?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    08-28-2015 04:43 AM
    Hope that's not the speaker by the camera. :/

08-28-2015 07:22 AM
    Hope that's not the speaker by the camera. :/

Maybe a grill for the internal heat to dissipate
    Joe Dubya likes this.
    08-28-2015 07:29 AM
    Define "premium looks".
    Its when the products passes functionality and becomes a piece of art.

So how would i see a phone being a piece of art...

If its a plastic mold, produced in fraction of seconds with no "metaphorical effort" it looks cheap.

It becomes premium, if the product comes from a metal slab, that is then CNCed carefully with high precisions metal work to achieve a very good looking finish. that makes it more premium. think Swiss watches.

When a phone design is not a copy of another, again, effort needed to create a new design, and maybe a story behind it too.

Art is something that you cant measure, but it somehow shows.
    Last edited by taymur; 08-30-2015 at 02:47 AM.
    aveese likes this.
    08-28-2015 07:35 AM
    I was hoping for the flagships to have touch capacitive.. They did not.. Then i was hoping for the metal frame, pointed edges and smaller bezzels.. They did not. The new flagships are < 930/1520. :/
    Now the only hope is the 830 successor. Hope they dont mess up with that too. Wanted to buy the new flagship or mid range but i think i have to go for 830/930/1520. :/
    08-28-2015 07:59 AM
    I was hoping for the flagships to have touch capacitive.. They did not.. Then i was hoping for the metal frame, pointed edges and smaller bezzels.. They did not. The new flagships are < 930/1520. :/
    Now the only hope is the 830 successor. Hope they dont mess up with that too. Wanted to buy the new flagship or mid range but i think i have to go for 830/930/1520. :/
    In terms of looks they are generic but in terms of functionality and performance they are perfect. For the first time we are getting the latest specs on time, continuum support, and expandable storage on a freaking flagship. The best part is that they come in two sizes without features missing from either of them.
    libra89 and anon(5843918) like this.
    08-28-2015 08:26 AM
    I am really excited about these phones, my only issue is that the Talkman (my intended purchase) is bigger than the 640, and I don't want to see phones getting bigger and bigger. I love my 640 but it's at the outside edge of what is comfortable to hold (I am not a dude). Also not jazzed about Qi wireless charging. I had it on another device and I found it pretty overrated--for me it just added too much weight to the device (just my experience, I am so happy you love your qi wireless charging). I am fairly drooling over the camera and all the other specs though.
    08-28-2015 08:44 AM
    looks do matter. many give importance to the elegant look of the phone rather than what is inside.. then why else people would buy iphone with outdated hardware?
    taymur likes this.
    08-28-2015 10:21 AM
    Anyone that says that the looks of the phone doesn't matter and all they care about are the internals is kidding themselves. There are a ton of sexy phones out there that also perform. There is no reason a phone can't look good and perform well. None. And for the record, I am someone that DOES NOT put a case on my phones for the simple fact that it's dumb to buy a beautiful device only to cover it up with an ugly otter box.

So while the photos of the phones leave me disappointed and underwhelmed, I will reserve final judgement until I see them in person.

The thing I'm most disappointed in is Qi charging on the 950. If it is not integrated and requires the purchase of a case, I won't buy it, period. Premium devices should have premium features built in. I shouldn't have to shell out a premium price for a phone and the have to purchase accessories to utilize a feature like this.
    Panathas and taymur like this.
    08-28-2015 10:27 AM
    In terms of looks they are generic but in terms of functionality and performance they are perfect. For the first time we are getting the latest specs on time, continuum support, and expandable storage on a freaking flagship. The best part is that they come in two sizes without features missing from either of them.
    Specs wise they are beasts.. But they made ugly phones.. I liked the 950 a bit but not good as compared to 930 Look at the android flagships for eg one m9, s6edge or an iphone.. Do u think any android/ios user would switch to WP for such bad looking plastic flagship device? I think no
    Joe Dubya likes this.
    08-28-2015 12:12 PM
216 12345 ...