Looking at the leaked renders and photos of the Lumia 950 and 950xl I'm wondering, what if this is not the flagship phone that everyone is expecting?
    I seem to remember that Nadella said they would concentrate on three areas for phones: budget/entry level, Business and Enthusiasts.

what if the 950 is the phone for business?

I think that people are thinking about business phones as mid range, but I think that what Microsoft might mean is durable, reliable and easy to repair/maintain etc. but not necessarily cheaper or less feature packed than the 'flagship'. Kind of like the Dell Latitude 5000 series or 6 series, or even their Precision Mobile Workstations. Those have objectively boring designs, and don't look premium, but have high specs and last a long time, exactly what a company is looking for.

this would explain the design of the Lumia 950/xl looking medium range, but having flagship specs.

more importantly, it would let us still hope for a different phone that looks stunning and will convince everyone to change to W10 Mobile
    Alain_A and pankaj981 like this.
    09-01-2015 02:36 PM
    Interesting thought. Only Microsoft knows. Time will tell.
    09-01-2015 03:32 PM
    Dual sim = nice feature for manager traveling a lot. Hmmm
    09-01-2015 03:35 PM
    A guy I know who works for Microsoft says these ARM based 950/950XL phones are good, but they're just "pacifier devices".. Just phones to get the OS (Win10 mobile) out the door. He says the real flagship phones are coming in January-February (Intel based).
    M L, Joe Dubya, sleeve22 and 5 others like this.
    09-01-2015 03:41 PM
    That's an interesting concept. It's pretty wide spread based off the recent comments and discussions from the WP community that most of us already own a previous flagship more premium looking than what Microsoft is offering us this fall. Well at least based off the renders and leaks which could actually be doing the real things a disservice. I just really hope we didn't have to wait close to two years(because many of the former flagships were exclusive) for that.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk
    09-01-2015 03:43 PM
    I don't think business phones would be sporting cameras like that. I think the 950 and 950 XL's aesthetics may have reduced to wishful thinking.

What isn't wishful thinking is that there will probably be some kind of Intel-based Surface phone at some point, but who knows if it'll be flagship-class.

Also, those hoping for a new, less ugly phone may still have hope in the Lumia 840 (850?). The 830 certainly didn't disappoint in that regard, though of course that design came under Nokia's auspices.
    09-01-2015 03:54 PM
    Looking at the leaked renders and photos of the Lumia 950 and 950xl I'm wondering, what if this is not the flagship phone that everyone is expecting?
    I seem to remember that Nadella said they would concentrate on three areas for phones: budget/entry level, Business and Enthusiasts.

what if the 950 is the phone for business?

I think that people are thinking about business phones as mid range, but I think that what Microsoft might mean is durable, reliable and easy to repair/maintain etc. but not necessarily cheaper or less feature packed than the 'flagship'. Kind of like the Dell Latitude 5000 series or 6 series, or even their Precision Mobile Workstations. Those have objectively boring designs, and don't look premium, but have high specs and last a long time, exactly what a company is looking for.

this would explain the design of the Lumia 950/xl looking medium range, but having flagship specs.

more importantly, it would let us still hope for a different phone that looks stunning and will convince everyone to change to W10 Mobile

The most best explanation I have read so far....and that make sense. So the crier will cry some more cause they are still on the waiting list...LOL
    WesleyBPeres likes this.
    09-01-2015 04:15 PM
    A guy I know who works for Microsoft says these ARM based 950/950XL phones are good, but they're just "pacifier devices".. Just phones to get the OS (Win10 mobile) out the door. He says the real flagship phones are coming in January-February (Intel based).
    That too make sense
    09-01-2015 04:25 PM
    If Nadella is really focusing on those three areas, I would think that the rumored Surface phone would be for business. But then again it would appeal to enthusiasts too. The 950 leaks just don't look 'business' to me.
    09-02-2015 11:28 AM
    I don't understand why a business phone would need HAAC microphones or a camera of that quality.
    09-02-2015 06:39 PM
    It's not that case. An x86-based Intel phone would be more business-aimed than consumer. These are running general flagship hardware. I don't know how you can think they're not the flagships, unless you think a magic Surface Phone shows up in the fall, or that Microsoft's is ACTUALLY stupid enough to take 2 years to release its first high-end phone.
    09-02-2015 06:48 PM
    I want to believe this so bad. Please be right.
    09-03-2015 02:02 AM
    I want to believe this so bad. Please be right.
    Well, I'm just repeating what my source told me. So it's a matter of him being right. I have a feeling he knows what he's talking about.
    09-03-2015 08:02 AM
    I have a Lumia 1520 that I bought last Feb due to the rather strong feeling I had that it would still be quite some time before we saw an actual Flagship phone from MS. I love the 1520 and the finished product (Windows 8.1) that is the OS. I have a great music experience with a combination of the old Music Hub tile and xbox music. The camera is terrific. I am a golf pro and the "Moments" app to show individual frames of the video's that I take is invaluable when I am giving lessons.
    I am not a fan so far of the mobile version of Windows 10 and their lack (Again!!) of a decent music app that had the features that the last version of the OS had. Doesn't have to have more features, just not less.
    I feel like the comment about the coming flagships not being anything but a stopgap measure is probably very accurate, it is after all MS first attempt at a quality high end phone and it will be rife with problems. Afterall look how long they have been trying to get something as simple as a native music app done. Ask Apple how important they feel music is to the mobile experience, considering that it was the iPod that basically gave birth to the iPhone.
    Ian_Superfly likes this.
    09-03-2015 08:08 AM
    I don't care if it's a flagship, I just hope it isn't the only flagship. I want a bonafide replacement for my 1520, and no, a 5.7" is not a replacement for the 1520.
    dakken, missylob and fiveaces01 like this.
    09-03-2015 08:28 AM
    these leaked screens doesnt look like the screens from the leaked talkman cityman renders..

microsoft_lumia_940_leak_china_2_wide.jpg

DailyTech - Hot Microsoft Lumia 940 Shows Off Benchmark, Fall Launch w/ Windows 10 Eyed
    09-17-2015 02:57 AM