Lumia 950/950XL flagships design - like it or not?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
well said bro, my thoughts are similar to you, at one stage there was a king in terms of mobile design called Nokia, after that microsoft making some nonsense design, all lumia phones looks similar, there are nothing new, its terrible , just look samsung s6 edge, huawei p7 and p8, iphones and many other, they are offering better design, but our favorite brand lumia is offering rubbish design , after leaked images of lumia 950 and 950 xl , my heart is weeping , so sad lumia its so sad, you are not thinking about your hardcore customers
These designs are just Nokia designs. Original Microsoft designs won't come until next year.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
The only statement that anyone should make is do any of the MS WP device designers EVER LOOK at the COMPETITION?????????

Stop if you are living in a condensed BUBBLE!!! Any WP10 device design should resemble the new OS being released. Why make new OS in last year's shell. Any WP10 should be of a premium look if not material but looks is a huge driving factor combined with specs that convince consumers to buy the device. Rocket Science I say!!!

Ben Schmidt1

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
I was leaning towards the XL... but after further reading on the 810 processor and the overheating... which could lead to throttle speeds (I know some of it is hype), higher battery consumption, etc... I'm now going to buy the 950 with the 808 processor.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I was leaning towards the XL... but after further reading on the 810 processor and the overheating... which could lead to throttle speeds (I know some of it is hype), higher battery consumption, etc... I'm now going to buy the 950 with the 808 processor.
If you look at the OnePlus 2 it has the exact same processor as the 950 XL will (Snapdragon 810 v2.1) and it still runs like a beast.
Older versions of the 810 were much worse (read Sony Xperia Z3+; LG G Flex 2; HTC One M9).

Last edited:

Enlil242

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
A more refined 925 would have been perfect for me. I will wait ti see these in person, but I LOVED my 925... the 940 that replaced it, while $99, is a toy.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
If you look at the OnePlus 2 it has the exact same processor as the 950 XL will (Snapdragon 810 v2.1) and it still runs like a beast.
Older versions of the 810 were much worse (read Sony Xperia Z3+; LG G Flex 2; HTC One M9).
Apparently the mi note 4 out one of them is the perfect 810v2.1 phone. No throttling or anything. Some are skeptical the one plus has the new version. At least the mi did way better with thermals and performance

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
The only statement that anyone should make is do any of the MS WP device designers EVER LOOK at the COMPETITION?????????

Stop if you are living in a condensed BUBBLE!!! Any WP10 device design should resemble the new OS being released. Why make new OS in last year's shell. Any WP10 should be of a premium look if not material but looks is a huge driving factor combined with specs that convince consumers to buy the device. Rocket Science I say!!!

Have you seen the new nexus phones? The MS ones look much better and we haven't even seen the actual phones.

And remember people have different taste. You May like pepperoni on your pizza but others may not. Relax. :)

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Apparently the mi note 4 out one of them is the perfect 810v2.1 phone. No throttling or anything. Some are skeptical the one plus has the new version. At least the mi did way better with thermals and performance
Isn't the Mi Note 4 aluminum? That would help with thermals.
And as for being clocked down to the other guy, I don't believe the OnePlus 2 was throttled at all.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely blows away the just announced Fugly Nexus's and definitely a step up over iPhone 6 s and its crack-able screen replacement cycle BS...so YES they are the best by far flagships looks wise and usability wise site unseen

Anthony Vangeli

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Have you got any more details? I'm just about to upgrade from my Lumia 900 (essentially no image processing, good god the noise) and I've always been weary of the "watercolor" appearance of Pureveiw imagery after the 920. Not sure if that's still an issue, or if W10 Mobile (or Lumia Camera) makes it worse.

Imagine a very grey landscape (sky is cloudy, ocean is grey-ish green, beach is grey, everything grey, etc...) and then taking a picture with your Lumia Camera 5 device. Somehow, the sky is turned electric blue and saturated 100%, the ocean is glowing teal, and the beach is orange.

I kid you not, this was the exact experience I had the day I upgraded to Lumia Camera 5 on my 1520. I'd say it's a little less extreme in the processing now, but it's still a complete surprise what you're gonna see after capturing an image. Whatever's in the viewfinder almost never matches the final photo, and that's sad. Want to manually underexpose an image to make it darker? Well, LC5 is gonna go in during processing it and boost the exposure until the highlights are blown. It's just an incredibly crappy experience and Windows Camera seems to be going for the same processing.

Unless they fix Windows Camera (which will be the camera app on all Lumia running W10m,) the 950/XL won't be beating the GS6, G4, and iPhone 6s in any comparisons.

Ben Schmidt1

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site

From another source:
...certainly did mention a heatsink that would help dissipate the 810’s heat in its phone – but don’t expect a chip that’s drastically different from what’s already out there. Further improvements to system firmware are also helping to improve 810 performance over time, and as manufacturers of 810-based handsets implement those changes, users should start reaping the benefits.

Stating that it's the same chip used in the M9 just with a heatsink.

So, the XL just has a larger heat sink to help the heat dissipate into the phone more efficiently? Sounds like I'm still leaning toward the 808 chip. Either way, I'm digging the phones and can't wait for the MS Conf.

illy khan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
These designs are just Nokia designs. Original Microsoft designs won't come until next year.

Does it matter who made the designs? If Nokia made it, that was years ago and should Microsoft to adapt it to the current consumer taste and demands.
Anyway, the design is big fail to me as a look and materials. And as I said before: the flagship must have design, specs and functionalaty to became a factor on the market. That was my idea when i post the treath: THE DESIGN, not the specs or continuum or live tiles or iris scanner.
I hope future comment to be only for the design.
Thank you.

Blake Quartly

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
This is not a flagship. As the devices that you own - 830 and 520. It is suitable for you, but me and i think not just me, WE expected a flagship. Spacs are not flagship, design is not flagship.
Thats why we talk about - not whining. I am not satisfied with mid range looks and more of the Chinese producers made better ones. Even thier mid range devices are with SD808.
If you do not like our opinion, don't read it. We got it - you like it.
But most of us dont.

"Lumia 950/950XL flagships design - like it or not?" In other words: "Let me offer a two sided discussion, BUT if you disagree with me then I'll attack you and tell you to go away" 👍😀

illy khan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
"Lumia 950/950XL flagships design - like it or not?" In other words: "Let me offer a two sided discussion, BUT if you disagree with me then I'll attack you and tell you to go away" ����

You have a piont.
I do not want to attack or offense anybody, but you're right.
I swiped my disappointment to other...
I'm sorry if someone is feeling offended by my posts.
Hope someone in Microsft to read such discussins and to take decision to satisfy us, people who like WOW design and functionality

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
From another source:

Stating that it's the same chip used in the M9 just with a heatsink.

So, the XL just has a larger heat sink to help the heat dissipate into the phone more efficiently? Sounds like I'm still leaning toward the 808 chip. Either way, I'm digging the phones and can't wait for the MS Conf.
Eh, guess I was mistaken about the One M9. Not a big deal.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
You're welcome to your opinions but I have three operating systems running on three devices that I use regularly and I've used all the major operating systems in-depth over the years. I'm running Android, Windows Phone 8.1, and Windows 10 Mobile. From where I stand, and from what I've learned and seen, Windows 10 Mobile has a lot of potential. It can be an amazing operating system, and it's well on its way. In many ways it's far superior to Windows Phone 8.1. It just needs time. It's not easy building an operating system from scratch. It's not easy for a huge software corporation that is known and is important practically anywhere in the world to fail so miserably with an operating system and to say "Okay let's give it one more shot anyways." And they're getting there. Windows 10 is already arguably the best iteration of Windows ever and Microsoft is truly making an effort to listen more to the Insiders. No, not everything the Insiders want is there, that only happens in software-flavored fairy tales. But we have seen major improvements, and we continue to see those improvements. No, Windows 10 Mobile isn't perfect but it's a joy to use and it's quickly surpassing Windows Phone 8.1 and in some of the important ways it already has.
And THAT is the wow factor of Windows 10 Mobile. Because no one has ever built an operating system like Microsoft is. No company has ever thrown away their insufferable pride and said "Right, we seriously screwed this up. Time to start over, except we'll see what our loyal customers want instead." We, the Windows Insiders, watched Windows 10 Mobile get built nearly from scratch, and we're still watching it get built. It is the first time an operating system has been developed like this, the first time a feedback system has been integrated into the operating system like this, the first time updates have been handled like this, the first time an operating system has been looked at like this. Windows 10 Mobile ISN'T Android because Android does not work like Windows 10 Mobile does. Google can't, their operating system is too fragmented, too broad. Apple can't, they're too prideful, they're too strict. Want to know the wow factor? Windows 10 Mobile is the wow factor.
And yeah, Continuum is pretty darn cool. It's nothing super amazing and innovative but come on, wake up. Neither Android or iOS have a wow factor either besides support. iOS has 3D Touch, but what's so special about that? More hidden menus? Constantly accidentally doing the wrong thing because what was once one tap has become three different taps?
With fingerprint scanners you have to touch your phone. I don't even have to do that with an iris scanner. You know what? That's pretty cool. Tons of Android and Apple devices have fingerprint scanners. Well how many phones have an iris scanner? I'm pretty sure there's one or two, but neither one of them are widely available. Well, that's pretty cool.
Oh, I also have the legendary Nokia camera credentials. That's pretty awesome.
Oh, I have a removable battery and microSD card support. That's unique nowadays!
Oh, I have Live Tiles. And those make Android look like tacking pictures to a cardboard wall. What would I do without my Live Tiles?

Oh and apps. Well, what do I want that I don't have? Nothing. I have everything I want, and I've seen evidence of universal applications being added every day. No one can deny that the store is growing. Support is growing, albeit slowly. And that's pretty impressive, considering Apple sells millions and millions and millions of devices and Microsoft has 3% market share. No, it's not thousands of applications upon release, but hey, it's good enough for me.
So, maybe you don't have a wow factor. But I have plenty. Yes, I love Android (can't stand iOS) but I'm not going to abandon Windows 10 Mobile because it's not perfect. A person who's unwilling to compromise is a fool.

I am not saying that you are wrong. I've tried WP7 and left because of the poor features and lack of apps. Got on board wp8 and 8.1, and like it in some way until I saw apps not being updated in months, lack of important apps for me. Got myself a Surface 2 tablet, RT version which was a joy to use, only to find out that MS did it again, ditching the OS, leaving me with a nice tablet, and a big hole in my pocket :|. Tried windows 10 on a new 2in1 Lenovo, officially, not TP and got fed up with it. So many things went wrong that I could not stand using it anymore. Tried Windows 10 on my 1520 since 10166 build, only to find out that in the last 512, it was still not working ok, tiles losing Live functionality, 3rdparty photo apps not being able to open photos from my phone, Windows Camera app a total trash app compared to Lumia Camera 5, SMS filter not working correctly, calls not being received etc. I have never said that windows 10 does not have potential to become something cool, but until now MS has not convinced me about this. I cannot simply go and spend another 600-700 EUR on a new WP that will come with an OS that still has issues, big issues, a beta build, because let's face it, windows 10 mobile won't be ready soon. And apps, as much as I've tried, simply I cannot accept using apps that devs forgot about them for months, lacking features, low level design and worse functionality than ios or android versions. Also games, most of the greatest games are on the other platforms: RR3, NFS MW, NFS No Limits, Infinity Blade, Taichi Panda etc. So you cannot say I have not tried to be in the MS ecosystem at all. But I've compared the experience with the experience I've had on Apple's ecosystem: meaning hardware and software: tablet+phone+TV streaming+software and apps, and I cannot say that MS has convinced me to stay. Sorry; Facetime works better than skype, streaming with appletv is flawless, appstore is nothing to be compared, IOS more mature, customer service way better than MS's. 90% of my friends have iphones and ipads, more than half of my work colleagures use iphones. For the rest with android we use Facebook's Messenger audio video calling which on WP is missing, and works as great as facetime. Everything I do works on my idevices, compared to the time when I was using Microsoft/Lumia devices.
In a short way: I've got framed with WP7.5 not being able to update to 8, leaving me with a 4 month old Lumia 900 no one wanted to buy; I've got framed with Surface 2 RT when MS decided to kill this too after many have bought it including me. Then the terrible experience with windows 10 that I've had, so I have all the right to ditch MS myself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon