Surface Phone With Full Windows 10

Vittorio Vaselli

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Would you like to have a Surface Phone not only with x86 cpu, but with full w10 inside?
I am thinking about it because i am using Surface 3 a lot, and i would love the same device but with a 5.5/6" screen.
Of course Microsoft need to create a Phone Mode(similar to the Tablet Mode on Surface) that allow to have a comfortable UI on little screen.
Of course Microsoft need to develop a Phone and Message app for pc.
Of course Microsoft had to deal with cpu size, cooling, and battery size. (Surface 3 last about 9-10 hours but it doesn't have 3G/4G connection).
Thanks to UWA we could find on Windows 10(desktop version) the application that are now on phone, and are touch optimized. The x86 apps should be only for closing temporarily the app gap, while we wait for the UWA version.

I read this:
https://medium.com/@uxlaunchpad/design-explosions-4-office-mobile-eb0f7a94f448#.3eo23qi2d

A designer who work on office mobile write: "We quickly realized it was no longer possible to split the experiences based on hardware alone. We knew Windows Phones would be running Windows 10, complete with mouse, keyboard, and monitor support. In fact, I had some friends working on reconciling Windows Phone and Windows, and it sounded meaty and complex."

He is talking about continuum? or something more "extreme"?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No, I don't like the idea of that. I'd much rather not have my phone bogged down with unnecessary services, bloatware, autostarting programs.

If continuum could be shrunk enough to fit in the phone and work via Bluetooth/USB-C dongle, that would be cool.

Vittorio Vaselli

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Surface 3 has X7(17x17mm) the X3 is (14x14mm)...however in order to enter in mobile market intel could build a new x86 in collaboration with Microsoft, maybe with other partners ready to join(i think about ms OEM on pc and 2in1 like acer, asus, lenovo, Samsung, hp)

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
X86 app support with full networking is the one thing Android and iOS can never do and will never be able to do by design. It HAS to come to windows mobile, Microsoft knows it, Intel is working on it. We just need a smaller, faster and more efficient chip than what is available now. And for everyone going nuts over battery life, it won't be an issue when in continuum mode as you'll be hooked to the docking station. When not tethered, the background processes will scale back and the CPU will underclock to save energy.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure atom is leagues ahead of arm in processing but have not been watching small cpus lately. Windows 10 for phones would not be full blown win10. Would be a scaled back version.

luke roemer

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
Question is: will windows 10 work with the Asus ZenFone2?

They just need universal phone app for regular windows.
And a micro hdmi and a spare micro usb.

Windows works fine with atom, you just can't expect core series desktop performance. My Lenovo ideacentre stick 300 is as fast as my old phenom2x4 laptop with twice the ram and is catching up on hours used since I don't turn it off and it doesn't have sleep option and has needed a restart only a couple of times other than updates. My daughter's hpstream7 is buggy sometimes, but it just has 1G ram.

If Intel lets atom get xpoint for mobile devices desktop and laptop sales will drop more since the phones will be fast enough to replace them.

Imagine, no windows rt/mobile bridging, no data difficulties, plug and play to any usb hardware or new tv, windows updating whatever you want over your home network, task manager, control panel, steam streaming..... an actual pc phone. You might need a powered usb hub.

I wonder how close skype is to working as a phone app on the ZenFone 2?

jerreldulay

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site
Would you like to have a Surface Phone not only with x86 cpu, but with full w10 inside?
I am thinking about it because i am using Surface 3 a lot, and i would love the same device but with a 5.5/6" screen.
Of course Microsoft need to create a Phone Mode(similar to the Tablet Mode on Surface) that allow to have a comfortable UI on little screen.
Of course Microsoft need to develop a Phone and Message app for pc.
Of course Microsoft had to deal with cpu size, cooling, and battery size. (Surface 3 last about 9-10 hours but it doesn't have 3G/4G connection).
Thanks to UWA we could find on Windows 10(desktop version) the application that are now on phone, and are touch optimized. The x86 apps should be only for closing temporarily the app gap, while we wait for the UWA version.

I read this:
https://medium.com/@uxlaunchpad/design-explosions-4-office-mobile-eb0f7a94f448#.3eo23qi2d

A designer who work on office mobile write: "We quickly realized it was no longer possible to split the experiences based on hardware alone. We knew Windows Phones would be running Windows 10, complete with mouse, keyboard, and monitor support. In fact, I had some friends working on reconciling Windows Phone and Windows, and it sounded meaty and complex."

He is talking about continuum? or something more "extreme"?

I say yes, I want this. I don't know how the hardware would cope with heat dispersion and battery capacity, but I definitely want it.

Migi2015

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Unless Surface Phone brings some unique features to the table, it has no chance. Real 3D Touch might be one of those things. But I think MS has to have at least 2-3 unique hardware related features + feature parity with iPhone/Galaxy S/One Plus to be competitive in 2017.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
No. This is silly.

How would this even be practical? Windows 10 running x86 programs on a 5.5inch phone? What do you people really want to do?

It's difficult for me alone sometimes to select items in UWP, far less for x86 apps on a 5.5 inch phone.

Can you imagine selecting items on word/excel/outlook (Desktop versions) on a 5.5inch screen? HA. that's ridiculous.

The solution is not to bring x86 to windows phone, the solution is to convert x86 apps to UWP via the tools Microsoft provided...

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
No one said what full W10 on a phone had to run full throttle.

That can step the CPU down to something that is good enough so that you can run apps in a emulator.
I don't think it would run hot at all.

Now if you hooked it up to a dock then yes it could throttle up and run full desktop apps with active cooling from the dock.

NatKingColeslaw

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I think people are really over focusing on the limitations of a Surface Phone. These are tech concerns than can be overcome. Most people would admit that the Surface Pro packs in a lot for the physical size. Assume that overheating won't be a problem. I bet they can find a way. Having enough storage and speed. I bet they can find a way. What becomes possible? "A phone that replaces you laptop... And desktop." It's fast enough, powerful enough that When In Continuim it could scale up and run the actual program, with a full desktop experience. Doesn't matter what program, doesn't force me to use it when not hooked up to a display, and just on my phone. So much becomes possible. I think they'll do it.

Joshua Welch1

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
You make it sound like a struggling old XP rig that is falling apart like a frontier wagon.
Originally posted by Pete
No, I don't like the idea of that. I'd much rather not have my phone bogged down with unnecessary services, bloatware, autostarting programs.

If continuum could be shrunk enough to fit in the phone and work via Bluetooth/USB-C dongle, that would be cool.

gourav mopidevi

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
No no no...i don't want full windows 10 on mobile device that said I want .exe files to work on windows mobile...i'm curious why it isn't possible..i mean windows 10 core is same for all devices..so I must able to install chrome.exe on mobile which will work like desktop in mobile environment we don't want any developer to approve this...windows 10 is also touch enabled so there won't be any issue..

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
A vast majority of executable files (.exe) are written for an x86 architecture and the Windows operating system. The .exe has been written for a different code then say an ARM architecture, so if you were to download a .exe and run it on an ARM processor, the processor would be confused and just deny it from being processed, that and I believe they wanted to make sure that all the applications are "sandboxed" via the Windows Store instead of relying on a 3rd party download site to get the applications to prevent malware and other nasty things from infecting the mobile operating system..

EDIT: I've played with an ASUS Zenfone 2 Intel Atom cpu... it's surprisenly fast and zippy and only warm to touch when playing games. In terms of battery life, I said it's a tiny bit less then say an ARM procssor (50% battery life in about 6 hours with light web usage and 1 youtube video) so there is potential of having an x86 cpu in a Surface phone, it's not hard.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes