10-02-2016 08:56 AM
32 12
tools
    Not funny at all.

09-26-2016 08:14 AM
    Ignore it

Honestly, a single device will not bring market share from 1% to 10% in a year, irrespective of what it can do
    Microsoft isn't trying to get that double digit market share. What it does want is an ecosystem that people like to use. Mobile devices that are targeted to specific sectors (enterprise and fans) - most likely not mainstream audiences who want social media apps and nothing else. Social media apps don't really bring revenue to MS, do they?
    But productivity software does bring revenue hence the push for enterprise
    09-26-2016 08:29 AM
    What do companies like CNET get out of wanting Company A to fail vs Company B? Why the propaganda from a large review company? Are they just voicing what they believe their fans want to hear or say themselves?
    09-26-2016 10:10 AM
    Actually found it funny, have a laugh and don't take these devices too seriously, you'll be much happier.
    09-26-2016 11:15 AM
    Well, his basic premise is correct, but the snarky dillhole attitude makes me want to punch him in the neck.
    09-26-2016 11:26 AM
    What??? It's attracting a new audience?? Aliens?? Lol, that one had me laughing for some reason.
    09-26-2016 09:16 PM
    I laughed, by which I mean I blew a little more air out of my nose then usual, at some of those. However, the surface phone, if Microsoft is serious, would most likely appeal to businesses. Essentially becoming the new BlackBerry, which could renew the OS's stigma.

- M
    Leonel Funes and Josiah23 like this.
    09-27-2016 12:26 AM
    Lol, that video was hilarious. And guys don't take it so seriously it's obviously meant as a joke.
    09-27-2016 06:18 AM
    Lol, that video was hilarious. And guys don't take it so seriously it's obviously meant as a joke.
    You're probably correct. The thing is that it's difficult with the situation WP is in at the moment. It's like being kicked while you're down. That's why it hurts. It may also hurt because, while maybe blown out of proportion, there's a grain of truth to it!
    Player Piano and libra89 like this.
    09-27-2016 06:50 AM
    Laugh and let go.
    09-27-2016 11:38 AM
    I viewed it on YouTube - 25K views, 491 liked it, 1493 disliked it.

It's not just us. The video, in general, was terrible.
    09-27-2016 11:58 AM
    09-27-2016 01:03 PM
    Am I the only one who thinks there is no such thing as a business phone?

Sent from mTalk on a 535.
    09-27-2016 01:59 PM
    Am I the only one who thinks there is no such thing as a business phone?

Sent from mTalk on a 535.
    I believe there is, and I believe the Elite X3 is a prime example.
    09-27-2016 03:37 PM
    Perfect example of how so called tech journalists are simply fan boys/girls.
    09-27-2016 04:58 PM
    Perfect example of how so called tech journalists are simply fan boys/girls.
    LOL 1,500 dislikes and 500 likes. I actually thought, considering the 99% iOS/Anroid fan base market share that this type of video would garner the usual dislike to like ratio of a popular video. Something like 1,537 likes 182 dislikes...something like that. I guess either mostly windows phones fans viewed this video or iOS/Android loves have some sympathy for us.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-27-2016 07:58 PM
    i disliked it of course and wrote a nasty reply.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-27-2016 07:58 PM
    I found the video somewhat humorous, it seems like the list was crowd sourced so it's not all on CNET.

But the thing that I think many people miss with an idea like a Surface Phone (journalists, general consumers & even some Windows Phone fans) is that it's not about individual features or feature parity with other platforms or even specific hardware specs. It's about a new experience or a new way to use the device as a whole, that's what could make the Surface Phone a success.

Like how the iPhone 'invented' the smartphone, it took some existing features and technologies, added some refinements and focussed on making a great user experience (something that most other manufacturers weren't doing well at the time). It opened up the smartphone to a much broader audience and made it integral to people's lives.

I think the Surface devices so far have done the same thing, a 2-in-1 and stylus support wasn't unique but Microsoft has done it better and in a way that is accessible to a broad range of users and adds value to their workflow. Things like quality, usable, inking support that is now adding value throughout the whole OS and apps is one example of this. Microsoft's 'mobility of experience' or whatever is an example as well from a purely software side, having notifications (& now SMS) syncing across platforms.

I think a Surface Phone has a chance to do this too. Really consider the kinds of things that people do while mobile and re-think how those could be best serviced by a mobile device. That could be stuff like great inking/note-taking support, making continuum relevant for a broader audience, integration with wearables, extending Cortana's insights or a heap of other things, but I think it's the collection of these things and they way they are implemented that matters more than a 'killer feature' or 'killer spec' on it's own.
    Chintan Gohel and Jens Ansorg like this.
    09-27-2016 08:01 PM
    That was funny though !
    09-27-2016 08:59 PM
    iOS/Android users simply don't care. For them, "What the heck is Surface Phone?" Hahaha!
    theefman likes this.
    09-27-2016 10:27 PM
    1. Almost no one wants to carry a second business phone anymore, everyone is doing BYOD.
    2. The argument that "MS doesn't want to target double digits anymore" will not work for anyone apart from enterprise, because no app maker would want to make apps for a platform with less than 1% market share among fanbois and enterprise.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-28-2016 01:00 AM
    I believe there is, and I believe the Elite X3 is a prime example.

"Am I the only one who thinks there is no market for a business phone?" - There, I corrected you.
    09-28-2016 01:01 AM
    To be fair, Daniel Rubino and Zac Bowden also seem to think that Elite X3 is a business phone. I believe that it is as well. So adding to leonelfunes32 that makes 2 definite yes answers and 2 highly likely yes answers.

For those who want to score this metric...
    09-28-2016 08:19 AM
    No one argued whether the X3 is a business phone or not. The point is, there's no market for a separate business phone. Almost no one wants to carry 2 phones anymore.

Business phones were popular during the heydays of Blackberry, where a person's regular phone was most likely not a smartphone or didn't have good email capabilities. Today BYOD is the norm.

My last job was at one of the world's largest ISPs. Our company had a policy that either you could install "Good messaging" on your smartphone and claim your phone and handset bill from the company, or the company would provide you a company phone (locked down), first Blackberry, then phased out in favour of Windows phones. Even though Good messaging was a clunky app which didn't update in the background and you needed to type a lengthy password each time you opened it, everyone except three people (me included) didn't opt for a company phone. Our office had close to 500 people.

Back to present day, my current company has a similar policy, but instead of Good, they use O365 and I don't know anyone else who has a separate company phone. They all use the OWA app.
    09-28-2016 08:55 AM
    At the launch of the 650 Microsoft pushed it as a "business" phone, so what exactly is it that makes a phone more suited for business than another? What makes the HP more business suited? The reality is apart from the power (and so far all reports are that its only marginally better than the 950/XL in performance) there's nothing about the hp that makes it more of a "business" phone over any other continuum based W10M device.

Plug any other device into a dock and you get the same thing the hp gives you, albeit a bit slower. I'm not sure what spell this device has cast over people but it's really nothing more than a beefed up Windows device, nothing more.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    09-28-2016 09:28 AM
32 12