Do you think that a Surface mini will be released this fall?

jordanzhninja

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Not that I would rush to buy one, but I think a Surface Mini would be a great companion to my Surface Pro 3 that I'm going to get in the fall.

I know that the Surface Pro 3 can replace tablet and laptop, but I would love a Windows RT device at 8'' as powerful or more powerful than Surface 2.

Oh, and a bit cheaper!

If a Surface mini was going to be released, it should be released with Update 2, which could get rid of the Desktop on RT (i don't know this, but it would be welcome). It should also try to come with touch office, a NVIDIA Tegra 4 or K1 processor, full HD screen and I think 2gb of ram would be fine.

I personally think that it should be portrait oriented, and come without support for a kickstand and type covers, just because its a small 8'' tablet thats not designed for heavy work.

I would use it as a companion, but what do you think?

Buren06

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to see them include support for some sort of magnetic cover - if not a touch/type keyboard, than some sort of ipad-esque smart cover with kickstand support. I'm assuming they won't include a hardware kickstand on a device this small, and I'd love some way to protect the screen without covering up all of the device.

Full Windows 8 would as always be nice, but not getting my hopes up for that one.

GB330033

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I think the Surface Mini will be released the instant that "Metro" Office is ready. Allegedly some of the hardware was produced and in testing as early as last October, and a bigger run was made earlier this year for a planned release w/ the Surface Pro 3, but the lack of Office killed it. If the Office team makes them wait any longer, then they'll have to scrap the existing units because the hardware will be too outdated for a new product.

All I know is, the instant it's released, I'm buying one.

Toby Ng

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I hope Microsoft still work on 10.6 inches ARM-based tablets. Since there are different manufactures working on 8 inches Intel tablets (e.g Acer, Lenovo etc). Microsoft should have 3 product lines: Pro for laptop usage, RT for productivity and inexpensive price, Mini for portability. Since it is quite tired typing on a small tablets lol

anon(5841099)

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
As the Mini seems to be confirmed by the Pro 3 manual, I'm really curious about the specs. I had a Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 to play with last week, and all I could think was how awesome it would be if it ran Windows (even just RT). Such a nice form factor, high res/high dpi screen, easy to hold in portrait and landscape.... Really hoping to see something like that as the Mini soon. Or perhaps just a version from Samsung that relabels the Tabro 8.4 as ATIV Tab Pro 8.4 or something like that :p.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
As the Mini seems to be confirmed by the Pro 3 manual, I'm really curious about the specs. I had a Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 to play with last week, and all I could think was how awesome it would be if it ran Windows (even just RT). Such a nice form factor, high res/high dpi screen, easy to hold in portrait and landscape.... Really hoping to see something like that as the Mini soon. Or perhaps just a version from Samsung that relabels the Tabro 8.4 as ATIV Tab Pro 8.4 or something like that :p.
Its in the manual because it was supposed to be released around the same time. Hopefully it still exists. I heard it was pulled last minute because it wasn't up to what they wanted yet. I assume it will be released once they are happy with it. But I would rather see it released before Christmas rather than after.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I read somewhere that it was most likely that Satya Nadella did not want to dilute the impact of the surface pro 3, also that it would make sense to wait for touch optimized versions of the office apps to be ready to release alongside the mini.

anon(5841099)

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Whatever the reason... Playing with that 8.4" Tab Pro has me very excited about the form factor, especially if a possible Surface Mini would come with a similar high res screen, that was just plain gorgeous on the Tab Pro.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon