Not able to download new languages (Speech) after update to 8.1 DP

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
So, I flashed my 920 with official cyan yesterday, updated to the latest DP (OS 8.10.14157.200, released yesterday). When I tried to download new Speech languages English (UK) or English (US), it fails, so was unable to use Cortana.

I flashed back to 8.1 Cyan, was able to download the languages without issues and then update back to the latest DP. Now I can use Cortana but cannot download any more new languages. This seems a problem only with the 8.1.1 or with the latest update to 8.1.1. Can anyone on the latest version confirm whether they can download any new Speech languages?

wp_ss_20140821_0002.jpg

Paul Nicholas

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Yup same, I'd love to report a bug but there isn't anywhere to do that. I used nokia software recovery to get 8.1 back then downloaded speech pack then updated back to 8.1.1

dfmos

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Glad to know I'm not alone.
I have lots of game save data so I'm a bit reluctant to use the software recovery tool.

Perhaps MS might release a fix.

Last edited:

dfmos

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I can now confirm its not only a 920 problem but it's a problem on the Lumia 930 too!

I guess it is a bug in WP8.1 Update 1 possibly for every phone, it should be fixed in the future I'd imagine.

dfmos

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
No error message, its just like the screenshot in the first post.

After a few seconds it just says "Couldn't download, Tap to retry" and that's all the information you get.

I am on the latest Developer Preview build on both my 920 UK CV and my 930 UK CV too!
That's DP OS version (8.10.14157.200)

aemond

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I confirm the problem. I have a L1020 FR CV, with Cyan and WP 8.1.1 DP.

Because of that, I can't do any voice search except if I switch my phone to EN-US. If I try to do a voice search with my phone in FR-FR, the voice search app doesn't pop up and I lose the sound on my phone... With a single workaround to get the sound back: Calling my voicemail.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
It would be great if you guys can use the diagnostic app to send the logs to Microsoft. I have used this before for pretty DP bugs and they have fixed them all.

Vicky Krishnatrai

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Tried on three different Wi-Fi networks as well as 3G and on 3 different phones. This is definitely a bug. Can you confirm that you can download new speech languages and also your OS version?

http://i.imgur.com/qEnchME.jpg
Fine, now let me know when you start downloading how much time it takes to show you that "couldn't download, tap to retry"? And do you know when you actually try to install speech or keyboard packs, Update in setting also start checking updates? The main thing is that next time when you got this error while downloading packs don't forget to see updates in setting. Here is the place where you will get the error code. And just tell me what do you see there?

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Fine, now let me know when you start downloading how much time it takes to show you that "couldn't download, tap to retry"? And do you know when you actually try to install speech or keyboard packs, Update in setting also start checking updates? The main thing is that next time when you got this error while downloading packs don't forget to see updates in setting. Here is the place where you will get the error code. And just tell me what do you see there?

It shows the error mentioned in the first post within 10 seconds. It doesn't even reach the stage where it is pushed to the phone as an update. Update shows that phone is up to date.

You don't mention your OS version, so I assume you are not on GDR 1?

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I am on same 8.1.1 update and folk you should wait because it may be server issue from microsoft. Just sinc your account and try. Thanks.

Its not a problem with the server, because I was able to flash back to 8.1 (official CYAN firmware) and get the UK speech pack within 30 minutes of it failing on 8.1.1. I again updated to 8.1.1 and was not able to get English (US). It is definitely a bug.

Without an OS version, it is difficult to correlate.

dfmos

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
It is definitely not a high speed internet problem, as I am a IT Technician so I know a bug when I see one.
It might not be affecting you @Vicky Krishnatrai but like @slyronit mentioned he could download the language packs perfectly fine when he downgraded the OS back to the Official 8.1 build and not the Developer Preview.

I tried to use the Diagnostics App to report the issue but it kept failing to send...

Last edited:

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
It is definitely not a high speed internet problem, as I am a IT Technician so I know a bug when I see one.
It might not be affecting you @Vicky Krishnatrai but like @slyronit mentioned he could download the language packs perfectly fine when he downgraded the OS back to the Official 8.1 build and not the Developer Preview.

I tried to use the Diagnostics App to report the issue but it kept failing to sent...

I can confirm that in this version, the diagnostic app is broken as well.

Will report this bug here

Windows Phone - Microsoft Community

dfmos

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I just hope this issue won't effect us in receiving the next Developer Preview update.

As since the Keyboard & Speech Languages seems to come under the update Section's functionality, I just hope the update process hasn't been broken in some way.

As downloading from the store still works perfectly, it's just downloading backend services/functionality which seems to be the problem.

Vicky Krishnatrai

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I just hope this issue won't effect us in receiving the next Developer Preview update.

As since the Keyboard & Speech Languages seems to come under the update Section's functionality, I just hope the update process hasn't been broken in some way.

As downloading from the store still works perfectly, it's just downloading backend services/functionality which seems to be the problem.

Now M also facing same problem. It looks like that its a temporary problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism