WP8.1 Update 1 / WP8.1 / WP8.0 internet sharing - poor signal stability

Duukkis

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I bought a Google Nexus 10 tablet some time ago. It's working perfectly with numerous routers and mobile phones (Android) excluding Windows Phone. I'm speaking about using my Lumia 820 as a Wi-Fi hotspot. Lumia 620 and 625 are the other devices I have tested. Internet sharing problem occurs at least with these combinations:
  • WP8.1 Update 1 Developer Preview with Lumia Black (Lumia 820),
  • WP8.1 Developer Preview with Lumia Black (Lumia 820 and Lumia 620),
  • WP8.1 with Lumia Cyan (Lumia 625),
  • WP8.0 with Lumia Black (Lumia 625).

Internet sharing between my Lumia 820 and HP DV7-7080eo PC (Windows 8.1, Windows 8.1 Update 1 and Windows 7) have worked and is working at present without any problems so my mobile operator isn't causing this. (I got 33.90 Mbps download and 16.86 Mbps upload from Speedtest.net and the connection is very stable.) The tested combinations, when it's a question of Lumia 820 and HP PC, are the following:
  • WP8.1 Update 1 Developer Preview with Lumia Black
  • WP8.1 Developer Preview with Lumia Black
  • WP8.0 with Lumia Black
  • WP8.0 with Lumia Amber
  • WP8.0 Portico (8.0.10211.204)

When using Lumia 820 as a Wi-Fi hotspot the connection is very unstable and Nexus 10 is disconnecting all the time. Only occasionally the connection lasts for a longer period, even a few hours. If I remember correctly, the phone shows the number of guests (my OS language is finnish so I'm not sure about the exact expression) connected to it to switch from 1 to 0 if the tablet is unable to connect to the internet. The phone shows no error messages and the connection sharing is on in sharing settings all the time.

Connection issues can also be noticed by monitoring the tablets Wi-Fi connection behavior via the Wi-Fi Analyzer app. It shows that the connection is on channel 6 (2437 MHz) and encryption is [WPA2-PSK-CCMP][WPS][ESS]. It doesn't matter if there is only one Wi-Fi network on that specific channel or up to 10 (I have many neighbours using Wi-Fi). Signal strength seem not to correlate with that. (I'm not sure about should this have an effect or not.) The only clue I found was that usually signal strength varies a lot which seems to cause the problem. I'm asking, could I enhance the connection stability somehow by changing the phones or the tablets settings?

Extensive googling and searching this forum didn't help. I tried the tip here on WP Central with the title "Trouble with Internet Sharing on Win Phone? Try out this DIY solution" without success. I found no other guides or how-to's about Windows Phone internet sharing that could help me. However, there is many Android apps which are supposed to enhance the signal strength. Right now I'm testing Wi-Fi Fixer but I'm sceptical about it. Having Wi-Fi-only tablet it's important to get my phone working!

Sorry about the long post!

-Duukkis

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon