What brought your attention into VR

John1521

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Since we're all here to discuss about VR (and hopefully be one of the winners of the bundle) I think one good thread to start would be to simply talk about what brought each of us into VR or for those still waiting to hop on the wagon, what was it about VR that captured your attention?

For me I have to say it was first and foremost the feeling of being inside the game,living it, being part of it,It's a fantasy world gone real. Surely there are alot of non-VR games that are just as immersive, but in VR all your senses are focused on the world that is now the game, Minecraft for example becomes a whole new experience.
Also there's all the other possibilities that are usualy covered by mobile VR headsets (Space walks,Rollercoasters,deep-sea diving,etc..) that bring experiences that for the most part might be a tad difficult to be tried first hand by most of us, while others turn into "safer" more enjoyable ones.

Last edited:

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Since we're all here to discuss about VR (and hopefully be one of the winners of the bundle) I think one good thread to start would be to simply talk about what brought each of us into VR or for those still waiting to hop on the wagon, what was it about VR that captured your attention?

For me I have to say it was first and foremost the feeling of being inside the game,living it, being part of it,It's a fantasy world gone real. Surely there are alot of non-VR games that are just as immersive, but in VR all your senses are focused on the world that is now the game, Minecraft for example becomes a whole new experience.
Also there's all the other possibilities that are usualy covered by mobile VR headsets (Space walks,Rollercoasters,deep-sea diving,etc..) that bring experiences that for the most part might be a tad difficult to be tried first hand by most of us, while others turn into "safer" more enjoyable ones.
For me it was the games. I used to be a gamer and was hoping to get that taste once again so I bought the HTC Vive the moment it was launched. Still waiting for that AAA game, though. Do you really recommend any game which dosent last 30 min to end?
Cheers

Rob Phillips

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
For me it was an experience with my brother-in-law’s PSVR. I was over his house one day last summer and he let me try it out. I love how immersive VR is. It’s a far greater experience than staring at a 2D image on a flat screen directly in front of you.

richiegore

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I was watching the expanse on TV and I was thinking to myself that I'd never get to go into space. Then I thought that VR was the closest thing I'd ever get. So I went looking online and found lone echo. Watching the trailer for that had me itching to get a VR headset again after kind of forgetting about them when the initial hype died down.

cprice27

Mar 26, 2018
Visit site
I first got on to VR through a friend. He is a tech enthusiast and invited me over to play. The first thing he wanted me to try was fruit ninja VR, and that was super fun. But I think, of all the games I've played so far, Form and Lone Echo have been the most fun. I love the fantasy genre and these two games are amazingly immersive.

richiegore

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I first got on to VR through a friend. He is a tech enthusiast and invited me over to play. The first thing he wanted me to try was fruit ninja VR, and that was super fun. But I think, of all the games I've played so far, Form and Lone Echo have been the most fun. I love the fantasy genre and these two games are amazingly immersive.

What's your opinion on the first generation headsets? Are you itching to get your hands on a second generation headset or just enjoying VR as it currently stands?

Cale Hunt

WC Staff Writer
Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
A friend of a friend had a Rift DK2 that he didn't mind sharing. It was mostly rollercoasters and exploring stars ... content has come a long way already.

cprice27

Mar 26, 2018
Visit site
I thoroughly enjoy VR as it stands, but there are some pretty interesting next gen headsets coming out. The Pimax 8k looks promising with almost twice the field of view as HTC Vive and Oculus Rift. It is also supposed to have a much higher resolution rate and number of pixels. Then there are the new standalone headsets that will be coming out. The HTC Vive Focus and the Oculus Santa Cruz are the most promising of the standalones...in my opinion anyway.

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I thoroughly enjoy VR as it stands, but there are some pretty interesting next gen headsets coming out. The Pimax 8k looks promising with almost twice the field of view as HTC Vive and Oculus Rift. It is also supposed to have a much higher resolution rate and number of pixels. Then there are the new standalone headsets that will be coming out. The HTC Vive Focus and the Oculus Santa Cruz are the most promising of the standalones...in my opinion anyway.
I agree. Now we just need the graphic processing power to deliver all the graphics at a photo realistic level ;)

Manus Imperceptus

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Much as I dislike Google, I have to give them credit for Google Earth VR - it may not exactly have been what got me into VR, but it's what's been keeping me at it more than anything else...!

DRDiver

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
To be honest, I had only a passing interest in VR because the current execution of the tech is not productive in my opinion. My wife thought she'd surprise me at Christmas with an Acer WMR rig. The only game I've been playing for the past year has been Elite Dangerous. And I have to admit, VR with that game is fantastic--good enough that playing it outside of VR is boring by comparison (but still excellent). I can't stand, however, VR outside of the game. Having a virtual 'house' to try to 'move' around just to utilize apps is just idiotic to me. When SteamVR spins up there are a few moments when you're in a circular, domes space with longitudinal and latitudinal lines to create the impression of perspective. THAT is a much more productive environment for throwing apps up in VR. And using those wand controllers is equally ridiculous. I would love to see someone come up with gloves like they used in the movie "Minority Report". THAT would be a much more intuitive application. But right now there is nothing appealing about VR outside of gaming for me. The tech just isn't there yet.

John Walsh3

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Elite Dangerous... The first time you're flying through an asteroid field, look and see some lasers firing and roll inverted and head into the fight... HOOKED!

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Elite Dangerous... The first time you're flying through an asteroid field, look and see some lasers firing and roll inverted and head into the fight... HOOKED!
I have that game installed for months! I didn't start playing it because I've read it has a very hard learning curve, is that true? Also, I have a keyboard and a controller (never used it though), can it be played normally without a joystick?
Cheers

krisguy

VR Expert
Sep 30, 2007
Visit site

Totally. Ended up buying an HCS Voice Pack for Voice Attack that makes John DeLancie (Q from ST:TNG) as my ship.

DiamondDave64

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
I had a PSVR originally. A few of the early VR titles are amazing, e.g. Batman Arkham VR. Lately I've been using HP's Windows Mixed Reality headset for the Steam VR integration and specifically, Google Earth VR, which is amazing (and free, no less!).

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Several things made me interested in VR, namely...

Powerful Platform - spatial computing is where everything is going
Organizational efficiency - Get better organized not just by arranging icons but avatars in 3d
Revolutionary - It's a game-changer
Non-discriminatory - unless you don't have stereoscopic vision then that sucks.

If you have eyes sharp enough to appreciate mixed reality ultra you might have read the real reason I've bought a lenovo explorer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon