Are You Trying Out The Preview of Windows 10

PhalanxPunx

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I will definitely try it on my Surface RT when the ARM version is available. Debating on if I'll try it on my NetTop PC in the bedroom immediately, or wait a bit for some immediate bugs to be worked out.

Mattman86

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lenovo Lynx tablet with 64gb of storage and 8.1 installed. Does anybody know if it is possible to dual boot with 10?

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
How to use a vhd

Its fairly simple...Most of the time OS is distributed in an .iso sometimes a .vhd if lucky like that download the .vhd. If not then you have to make one from the .iso

In Windows 7...follow this
Image to Virtual Hard Disk (WIM2VHD) Converter | IT Core Blog

In Windows 8...follow this
PowerShell: Create a Windows 7/8/2008/2012 VHD using ISO file

Once you create the .vhd (Name it something like Win10.vhd) Place it in any folder (I use C:\VM) and use the steps in the Windows 8 guide to add the proper boot entries to your BCD registry file..this will give you a dual boot situation after you add the proper entries.

Takes a bit of effort but the result is fantastic... Make a copy of the VHD so you always have a sysprepped copy of the .vhd ready to deploy if needed on any system.

Once done testing just delete the VHD. Your system will be back to normal.

In the meantime you can go back and forth between original os and any VHDs you have set up there really is no limit to how many other than space constraints.

Plus column for VHD....
No partitioning
Faster than VM...99.8% same as bare metal install
Lets you be booted fully into Windows 10...rest of drive available as D:
Clean removal
Expandable file takes up less space when not used.
Once made any copies are reusable on other computers. (Its what Hyper-V used for its VMS or XPMode)
Great for versioning...different set ups

Minus...
Takes converting .iso...some work some time to create
Not as easy as setting up a VM off an iso install.

Last edited:

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm gonna definitely be trying this.. its a technical preview. Bugs are expected. I'll be providing feedback as intended. will dual boot this bad bwoi when I get chance..

Mahdi Ghiasi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Seems that this version doesn't have quick switching between tablet and desktop modes. So I prefer not to install it on my SP3 right now. Maybe on a VM.

But after this features comes, I'll look into installing it.

PimblyCharles

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to test out the Windows 10 TP and the new Windows Server TP. I work in an enterprise environment as a computer consultant, so testing this OS is crucial in the long run. Plus, the geek in me, finds it really fun to mess with stuff.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to dual boot and use it as my primary OS, right now I am eagerly waiting for MS to release the darn thing! lol.

Windows 10 at first glance has struck the right balance for the desktop imo however will need to delve deeper and as I have some unanswered questions such as:
1) Can users remove the application list on the left hand side when the start menu is in full screen (one of the leaks showed a tick box for the old start screen - is that still there?)
2) How customisable is the start menu & task bar
3) Did the replace the system tray with the notification centre?

And many others.

Mattman86

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Has anybody else noticed the difference in the file sizes listed vs the actual file sizes?

64bit - 4.1gb Listed; 3.81gb Actual
32bit - 3.16gb Listed; 2.93gb Actual

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon