Having Windows 10 preview sound problems?

johnwinkmsft

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
I've had a strange issue with sound and my Surface Pro 3, when connecting the device to an external HDMI screen:

​After connecting an HDMI adapter to a screen, the sound no longer outputs at all. The sound mixer shows audio going through the HDMI output, but nothing actually outputs. I've tried this with two different HDMI adapters, 2 different HDMI cords, and 2 different output devices (a television and a PC monitor), each with no success. Restarting the PC does not fix the problem. Unplugging the device will most of the time will revert the audio back to the Surface device, but sometimes will not output audio (like the HDMI). A restart is required to fix that issue.

​Anyone else have this problem or is there a fix on the way?

​Thanks,
Nolan

Yes, I'm seeing the same thing. I think we've got it licked in the next build but would love to hear your results once we send that out. Thanks!

Ccyd Smyth

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I have video but no sound with IE. When I test sound with speakers in properties seems to be working fine. Also no sound when playing cd's. Asus M4A78T-E motherboard, VIA audio. Win 10 TP. Update: Installed Firefox with flash player, I have sound when streaming now, but still have same problem no sound with IE, no sound playing cd's. Another update, tried Chrome video and sound just fine. Still no sound with IE and cd. Tried VLC player and WMP with Video file, video no sound. Nuts :-(

Last edited:

Aaron Delwiche

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I was having the same problem with my ASUS G750. Just wanted to confirm that turning off the internal sub-woofer worked for me as well. Thanks to the original poster who shared this solution, and thanks to other users who confirmed it.

Ccyd Smyth

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I was having the same problem with my ASUS G750. Just wanted to confirm that turning off the internal sub-woofer worked for me as well. Thanks to the original poster who shared this solution, and thanks to other users who confirmed it.
Ok, I'll bite. How do turn off sub woofers, in my sound properties? I have Via hd sound, I believe yours has realtek. Update: Still no sound. Help :)

Update: Fix for VIA sound, thanks to Dough51.
1. Open Playback Devices
2. Right-click the output device (in my case, "Speakers") and set as Default Device.
3. Select the device, and click on the Properties button
4. Go to the Enhancements tab and check "Disable all enhancements"

Last edited:

Kazi Al-Rashid

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Is it out yet? Any ETA??

Hitting this issue on my Lenovo Y50 since last week. I tried re-installing windows and in my case I have good working speakers initially, as soon as I update the display driver it auto installs HD sound through the RealTek driver and things go south from that point on.

Have been using the W10 TP since January on another Samsung laptop without any issue (latest update installed).

ilariazeta

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
I'm having the same problem with VIA audio and Asus motherboard. Sounds works fine in pc setings and flash plaer web games, but no sounds with VLC or WMP.
Tihs happened after last update

I have video but no sound with IE. When I test sound with speakers in properties seems to be working fine. Also no sound when playing cd's. Asus M4A78T-E motherboard, VIA audio. Win 10 TP. Update: Installed Firefox with flash player, I have sound when streaming now, but still have same problem no sound with IE, no sound playing cd's. Another update, tried Chrome video and sound just fine. Still no sound with IE and cd. Tried VLC player and WMP with Video file, video no sound. Nuts :-(

geniusonboard

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm having a different typr of problem with Realtek audio drivers on W10 TP. When I first installed the TP, I could normally adjust the audio level from 0 - 100. In the last 3 days, though, my volume slider goes up only to 42. Tried deleting, reinstalling (both from Device manager and downloading the latest Realtek driver from their site). After reinstalling the driver it al seemed good for about...3 - 4 minutes, then suddenly, out of nowhere, it lowered the volume down to 42 and I can't get it higher anymore. Anyone else experiencing the same issues or am I a loner in this?

Nanyque Sirkis

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
I am also having issues on my new Y50-70. Crazy distortion (sounds like an angry transformer). It happened immediately upon booting windows 10 the first time. I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them from Lenovo and it worked fine for about 5 minutes after a reboot, then it started again. This is a big enough issue for me that I may end up rolling back to 8.1 until I see this is fixed. This is my media/travelling gaming pc, so I kind of need the sound!

Starayo

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Hah. Just installed it on my Y50 yesterday, also had the horrifying transformers distortion sound. I think it only started after windows update replaced the drivers.

Dual-booted so not a huge deal for me to wait for a definite fix.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Try putting the extracted inf files in %windir%\system32 or %windir%\system32\drivers, uninstall from Device Manager and then reboot.

Marcin Kochanski

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
I have got the same issue on GA-970A-D3 motherboard (Via soundcard)
Sometimes there is sound in all programs, but mostly the is no sound at all or there is no sound in IE VLC and games.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
does anyone here have a external audio interface? My Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 (Firewire) isn't working anymore with the new build. It shows the two LEDs for "powered" and "firewire connected" but when I try to play music (browser, Winamp) the app freezes and the interface loses the connection.
I reinstalled the drivers and restarted the PC several times but I didn't manage to get it to work till now

mataleo

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
after i reinstall drivers i got sound, but after i restart laptop its no sound again, and its over and orver again

ASUS N55S

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon