09-24-2015 11:36 AM
156 1234 ...
tools
    I am going to run my 5 Xbox 360 with PC media center until it dies. I works so great for me and after spending the upfront cost (Xboxes, tv tuner card , etc.) I get all my home media in one box. Media center for TV (integrated guide ftw!) with my own DVD rips and music collection. Netflix and Hulu on the Xbox homes screen for anything I'm missing. I even bought an extra Xbox 360 and left it in the box for when one of the others dies.

Heck, I'm right in the middle of ripping my Aliens box set to Media Center so all my family can watch this weekend!
    Kevin Rush and flyingsolid like this.
    02-03-2015 01:15 PM
    I am going to run my 5 Xbox 360 with PC media center until it dies. I works so great for me and after spending the upfront cost (Xboxes, tv tuner card , etc.) I get all my home media in one box. Media center for TV (integrated guide ftw!) with my own DVD rips and music collection. Netflix and Hulu on the Xbox homes screen for anything I'm missing. I even bought an extra Xbox 360 and left it in the box for when one of the others dies.

Heck, I'm right in the middle of ripping my Aliens box set to Media Center so all my family can watch this weekend!
    Xbox 360s XD
    I doubt there are any WMC Extenders still in production (besides the 360 that is)...

Something like this might be good too haha ;)
    Linksys DMA2200 Digital HD Media Center Streamer Extender 4260039346777 | eBay

Dropping WMC would surely break costly investments for HTPC users. I have been thinking about biting the bullet and getting a quality network tuner that supports cable card. Would be awesome to open a port and stream channels remotely ;)
    02-03-2015 06:38 PM
    Media center was an awful, unworkable mess. I hope it gets buried forever.

How would it be remotely more convenient than DLNA?
    Yazen likes this.
    02-03-2015 06:47 PM
    Keep in mind it might only have the name. In windows 10 there will be two music players. One for streaming and one for local music. This should allow them to take care of many of the gripes people have had with Xbox music (for those using local collections).
    02-03-2015 06:54 PM
    Xbox 360s XD
    I doubt there are any WMC Extenders still in production (besides the 360 that is)...

Something like this might be good too haha ;)
    Linksys DMA2200 Digital HD Media Center Streamer Extender 4260039346777 | eBay

Dropping WMC would surely break costly investments for HTPC users. I have been thinking about biting the bullet and getting a quality network tuner that supports cable card. Would be awesome to open a port and stream channels remotely ;)
    I've been using it since Windows XP so my investments have been minimal over time and I've easily recouped any costs when compared to the costs of renting multiple cable boxes, etc. :) My existing media center is an AMD E-450 with a 1TB drive that I picked up for $200 refurb, and it handles two HD streams without a problem. And I bought it yeeearrss ago.

Media center was an awful, unworkable mess. I hope it gets buried forever.

How would it be remotely more convenient than DLNA?
    You can't get live tv over DLNA, I don't think you "get" media center based upon your post. One PC records/stores everything, and any Xbox 360 can tap into that source for free. There is no other product on the market that does everything it does combined and in such an ORGANIZED way. I'll stick to renting a cable card for $2 a month instead of multiple DVRs for much more money, thanks.
    Kevin Rush and dgr_874 like this.
    02-03-2015 06:57 PM
    I've been using it since Windows XP so my investments have been minimal over time and I've easily recouped any costs when compared to the costs of renting multiple cable boxes, etc. :) My existing media center is an AMD E-450 with a 1TB drive that I picked up for $200 refurb, and it handles two HD streams without a problem. And I bought it yeeearrss ago.

You can't get live tv over DLNA, I don't think you "get" media center based upon your post. One PC records/stores everything, and any Xbox 360 can tap into that source for free. There is no other product on the market that does everything it does combined and in such an ORGANIZED way. I'll stick to renting a cable card for $2 a month instead of multiple DVRs for much more money, thanks.
    Not trying to knock on you but Echo is right, there are network tuners can actually broadcast live TV over DLNA. However, the frontend experience is not as seamless as WMC.
    EDIT: There are models that support cable card ;)

That device that is listed on eBay does exactly what your Xbox 360 would do. Most standalone extenders worked better than the 360, so maybe if you need to add another one in the future... WMC Armageddon!
    02-03-2015 09:40 PM
    Not trying to knock on you but Echo is right, there are network tuners can actually broadcast live TV over DLNA. However, the frontend experience is not as seamless as WMC.

That device that is listed on eBay does exactly what your Xbox 360 would do. Most standalone extenders worked better than the 360, so maybe if you need to add another one in the future... WMC Armageddon!
    Ok, but do those DLNA cablecard devices allow you to record shows like a DVR? If not, then they don't replace WMC for my needs. This isn't 2005 and I'm not trying to watch TV shows as they air or sit through commercials.

Also, WMC is far from "unworkable." It is actually quite elegant. I have people come over to my house and use my TV quite often. They have no idea that they are watching TV on a PC. As far as they know it is a normal TiVo/DVR dedicated device. Even my mom can use my TV without getting lost and without me explaining anything (which is amazing).
    02-03-2015 10:09 PM
    Come on, Release MC for Windows 10, and PLEASE UPDATE IT !!!!!
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    02-03-2015 10:23 PM

Those Linksys extenders are not manufactured anymore and are not supported. They also do not work in WMC in Windows 8.0 or higher. The Xbox 360 is still made and have full WMC support in addition to the gaming they can do.

Certainly things like streaming TV using DLNA will become more popular quickly. But, nothing has the ability to do as much as WMC does right now or in the near future.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    02-03-2015 10:26 PM
    Those Linksys extenders are not manufactured anymore and are not supported. They also do not work in WMC in Windows 8.0 or higher. The Xbox 360 is still made and have full WMC support in addition to the gaming they can do.

Certainly things like streaming TV using DLNA will become more popular quickly. But, nothing has the ability to do as much as WMC does right now or in the near future.
    My bad. Still on WMC/W7
    Used extenders are cheaper than a used 360 so idk... Go figure ;)

Depends on how much configuration your back end needs.

Kodi+TVGuide+HDhomeRun actually can do more than WMC
    Kodi (formerly XBMC) is more adopted, highly extensible, and uses popular methods.

Older hardware is almost pinned to WMC.. Could use MythTV as a backend? idk
    02-04-2015 05:46 AM
    I'd like to see the W10 Video App replace WMC with all functionalities and metro UI.
    Yazen and DavidinCT like this.
    02-04-2015 05:52 AM
    Kodi+TVGuide+HDhomeRun actually can do more than WMC
    Kodi (formerly XBMC) is more adopted, highly extensible, and uses popular methods.

Older hardware is almost pinned to WMC.. Could use MythTV as a backend? idk
    What you are missing is that WMC is the only software solution in existence that is HDCP compliant. MS is able to get WMC certified by the industry because they are such a large company. While there are plenty of other third party media center software programs, none of them will work (i.e. record) copy protected content. If you have a cable provider that sets the copy once flags on their subscription channels (many do) then all of these "better" alternatives you mention are worthless.
    Praj, dgr_874 and Kevin Rush like this.
    02-04-2015 09:46 PM
    What you are missing is that WMC is the only software solution in existence that is HDCP compliant. MS is able to get WMC certified by the industry because they are such a large company. While there are plenty of other third party media center software programs, none of them will work (i.e. record) copy protected content. If you have a cable provider that sets the copy once flags on their subscription channels (many do) then all of these "better" alternatives you mention are worthless.

Not worthless if you can find yourself an HDCP stripper.
    02-05-2015 10:10 AM
    I've had a dedicated system running WMC for around 5 years now with a Ceton CableCard tuner. Those who think that WMC is a mess or redundant are mistaken. As others have said, WMC is the only option for HDCP compliance. Outside of renting a DVR from your cable company or paying a monthly subscription fee to use TiVO or something similar, WMC is the only (legal) way to DVR shows on channels such as HBO. Also, WMC is/was a good reliable piece of software. The reason why it didn't take off is because cable companies won't officially support it and they push to rent out their own DVRs instead. In addition, most consumers either don't want to hook a computer up to the their TV or they don't have enough technical knowledge to be comfortable setting up WMC even though it is relatively easy to set up.
    If anything, WMC will continue to be available with Windows 10 in its current form. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they did away with it due to such a low volume of users. That said, I'm considering doing away with it myself because I know the product is likely on its way out and I don't watch enough TV to care about the DVR capability and there are new streaming options such as Sling TV and HBO GO (or something similar) without a cable subscription coming, and I can use something like an XBox One combined with Plex on my computer or a NAS to stream my movies and all.
    02-05-2015 10:39 AM
    Not worthless if you can find yourself an HDCP stripper.
    That's a lot of manual nerd-work just to watch TV. The beauty of media center is that it just works all together when you pick up your remote, and you can extend it to other TVs very easily. Sure there are hacks and multiple products you can cobble together that provide "similar" functionality. But for me I say "Xbox On" and it switches on my Xbone which in turn auto-flips on my TV and 360, and it takes me straight to media center and live TV or recorded shows or ripped videos, no messing around with anything. It just works.

(And before anyone asks, we still play 360 games a lot so no we aren't being forced to keep the 360. We actively use both systems for gaming as well.)

Knowing it's days are numbered I've also been tempted to replace it with something else, but as stated before there is nothing that equals it that doesn't require me to buy more stuff and hack/cobble **** together for LESS functionality. That homerun box looks close, but not quite there.
    dgr_874 likes this.
    02-05-2015 11:00 AM
    That's a lot of manual nerd-work just to watch TV. The beauty of media center is that it just works all together when you pick up your remote, and you can extend it to other TVs very easily. Sure there are hacks and multiple products you can cobble together that provide "similar" functionality. But for me I say "Xbox On" and it switches on my Xbone which in turn auto-flips on my TV and 360, and it takes me straight to media center and live TV or recorded shows or ripped videos, no messing around with anything. It just works.

(And before anyone asks, we still play 360 games a lot so no we aren't being forced to keep the 360. We actively use both systems for gaming as well.)

Knowing it's days are numbered I've also been tempted to replace it with something else, but as stated before there is nothing that equals it that doesn't require me to buy more stuff and hack/cobble **** together for LESS functionality. That homerun box looks close, but not quite there.

If you call plugging an HDMI cable into a box "nerd work" then I assume you had to hire a nerd to plug in your TV for you. You could easily call him/her again to get the HDCP stripper set up.
    02-05-2015 11:03 AM
    If you call plugging an HDMI cable into a box "nerd work" then I assume you had to hire a nerd to plug in your TV for you. You could easily call him/her again to get the HDCP stripper set up.
    Okay I obviously misread what you meant by HDCP stripper, I assumed it was some kind of software I'd have to use to strip out DRM from the video files after they record. You're saying it can run inline with the HDMI cable? Question though, how do I even get the HDCP content in the first place to strip out? Right now I have one box that effectively services all my multiple TVs as well as takes care of all subscribed channel decoding for lack of a better word. Where would the stripping happen with a different device?
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    02-05-2015 11:13 AM
    Okay I obviously misread what you meant by HDCP stripper, I assumed it was some kind of software I'd have to use to strip out DRM from the video files after they record. You're saying it can run inline with the HDMI cable? Question though, how do I even get the HDCP content in the first place to strip out? Right now I have one box that effectively services all my multiple TVs as well as takes care of all subscribed channel decoding for lack of a better word. Where would the stripping happen?
    Yeah they're usually a box with an input and output for inline use. Some PC capture cards support HDCP stripping on the hardware level. I've never played with TV tuners or channel decoding software so I couldn't advise you on how to configure everything.
    02-05-2015 11:24 AM
    HDCP stripper won't do any good with a TV tuner based recording system, you'd need a separate tuning device that outputs HDMI, then an HDMI input on your recording device. If it's multiple devices, good luck controlling or automating anything. This kind of DRM crap is why Dish Network and DirecTV never released their PCI-card satellite tuners, both of which were actually designed, built and demonstrated as working.
    02-05-2015 02:51 PM
    Yeah they're usually a box with an input and output for inline use. Some PC capture cards support HDCP stripping on the hardware level. I've never played with TV tuners or channel decoding software so I couldn't advise you on how to configure everything.
    It's nice that you mention that part about not knowing what you are talking about after you have talked down to people that actually have experience with this stuff. The bottom line is that most people don't have the time or the desire to hack their own TV subscription that they already paid for. Nor do they want to string a bunch of devices together to accomplish some of what can be done with a single supported product like WMC. I work on computers all day long for a living. When I'm trying to relax and watch some TV or a movie, I really don't want to feel like I'm still at work troubleshooting some kludge of a DVR/media player. The solutions you are describing are fine for some kid in a dorm room with nothing better to do with their time, but for anyone with a life and other family members sharing the TV, hacks are not a viable option. If the day comes that I can't get WMC or a real replacement for it, I'll go back to renting a DVR from the cable company before I resort to stringing a bunch of random stuff together.
    Kevin Rush and Cho CoMo like this.
    02-05-2015 07:59 PM
    It's nice that you mention that part about not knowing what you are talking about after you have talked down to people that actually have experience with this stuff. The bottom line is that most people don't have the time or the desire to hack their own TV subscription that they already paid for. Nor do they want to string a bunch of devices together to accomplish some of what can be done with a single supported product like WMC. I work on computers all day long for a living. When I'm trying to relax and watch some TV or a movie, I really don't want to feel like I'm still at work troubleshooting some kludge of a DVR/media player. The solutions you are describing are fine for some kid in a dorm room with nothing better to do with their time, but for anyone with a life and other family members sharing the TV, hacks are not a viable option. If the day comes that I can't get WMC or a real replacement for it, I'll go back to renting a DVR from the cable company before I resort to stringing a bunch of random stuff together.

Thanks for the info, you sure did put me in my place Mr. trust-me-I-work-on-'puters-for-a-living. You're totally right, experience has to be first hand or it's useless, there's no such thing as a solution that works for more than one scenario.

And I humbly apologize for the act of suggesting an alternative solution to what is probably not going to work in the near future- I'll never talk down to someone like that again. When my suggestions are then misinterpreted and rudely rebuked, it is not my place to return in kind and I deserve to be talked down by you as well!

Ah, to be so entitled on the internet... What was I thinking?
    Yazen likes this.
    02-05-2015 10:36 PM
    It seems someone confused the issue by mentioning HDCP. That is not the issue at all, and an HDCP stripper would not resolve the DRM issue. You can still connect analog displays that require no HDCP support at all.

The issue with CableCard support is that WMC is the only software licensed to decrypt copy protection from cable companies, which happens between the tuner and the WMC software. Without that support, there is no hope for recording, much less watching protected video streams. For my cable provider, that includes all channels past the basic 40 channel package, which means not only premium channels like HBO and Showtime, but also common cable channels like USA, ESPN, AMC, etc. are encrypted.
    Last edited by poit57; 02-06-2015 at 11:20 AM.
    02-06-2015 10:57 AM
    For the record, I did try the WMC key that Microsoft released for the Windows 8 consumer preview a few years ago. Like others have mentioned, it did unlock WMC, but I could no longer get any updates from Windows Update for the technical preview.

The other issue I had is that I could not get the Digital Cable Advisor inside WMC to install properly, which means I could not receive those protected channels through my CableCard.

I haven't really messed with the technical preview much outside of this. I am already sold on the upgrade for my regular computer, but this will be the determining factor on whether or not I will upgrade my HTPC which is currently running Windows 8.1. I have voted on the uservoice page that WMC be supported, or at the very least that CableCard support be brought to W10 in some form.
    02-06-2015 11:33 AM
    Still, People are taking about using a 3rd party product with using Windows Media Center in the background. If you are worried about running into HDCP problems, just run component HD (1080i max but, no broadcast is over that anyway) this would resolve this problem and there are 3rd party products that can import Component HD into a computer, if one was to need it.

Honestly, I don't see the point. Microsoft wants everyone to go to Windows 10 by giving everyone Windows 10 for free (7 and 8 users), Sure a few of my desktops will be upgraded but, My Dedicated Home theater PC will NOT unless it has Windows Media Center on it.

Still running Windows 7 on it, Why ? There is NO difference between WIndows 7 version and Windows 8, infact they removed a few settings when it went to Windows 8. Win 7 is the better product for WMC (if using as a HTPC).

Sure I would be ok if MS released WMC on Windows 10, I would be extremely happy, if they did a release and did some major updates to a product that was designed 5-7 years ago.

Still for a 5-7 year old piece of software, it still holds up today and still is the "CHOSEN" option for HTPC users, and it's the one that everything else is compared to in this area.

Anyway about it Microsoft had a great product in their hands and just let it go, I really wish they would get the passion back, like I have and re-do WMC to be the ONLY HTPC out there....

sigh, MS if your listening, Please do something on this subject, it really is/was one of the best products Microsoft has ever made and I am sure I am not the only one who feels this way.
    02-07-2015 08:11 PM
    Only people who don't use WMC don't realize how great it is. It rarely has issues if its used within its boundaries. No, MKV files dont always work correctly, but WMC was never meant to support those files. Feed it what it was built to do, and its seamless.

I would be blown away if WMC is in Win10. It almost wasn't in Win8, but people revolted and they added it as an add-on to suffice those disgruntled (me included) Windows users. Look at XBOX One. There is no extender support. There is the writing on the wall.

As of right now, there is no Live TV/DVR that works for HTPC. I've tried XBMC, mythTV, etc. Nothing comes close. Plus, the XBOX 360 extenders takes WMC through the roof. There's nothing like it...except putting a DVR cable box on every TV.

I realize that WMC's days are numbered, but until then, our family is happy.
    02-07-2015 08:34 PM
156 1234 ...