Installed Windows 10 on Surface 3....Have Questions

chobo2

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I installed the preview yesterday on my surface 3 but I thinking of removing it after playing around with it for 5mins. It seems a bit buggy for me(kinda concerning since they want to release end of next month)

First I am not sure if I am missing something but I was expecting that with windows 10 the keyboard would automatically show up when you go into an input field but this is still not the case. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I go to like Firefox and click on the url bar but no keyboard shows up. I go to the notification center and tell Windows 10 that this is a tablet and still same thing.

I really thought that Windows 10 would now know that this is a tablet even when in desktop mode and auto popup the virtual keyboard if no hardware keyboard was found. Is this a feature that will never come?

Next when I am in FF and go to search bar, I type in something and hit enter on the keyboard I go back to the Metro UI screen for some reason. FF is still open but I can't search as keeps going back the Metro UI.

Finally. I had some like office 360(what I had yet to register) and it's go after the upgrade, same with the Facebook app and stuff. Was surprised that they did not get carried over in the upgrade.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I tried it, last night, on my i3 Pro 3 and lasted 20 minutes. For the desktop I'll be all over Windows 10 but tablet mode... Words fail me.

When the modern UI's in focus all I wanted to do was go to the desktop but, after trying to add 'Desktop' to the tiles I gave up. I'll give Windows 10 a bit more time, via VM, over the coming weeks but as it stands I'll be sticking to Windows 8.1 on my tablet (Unless MS improves things)

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
With 10130 ( or 10136) due any day now, I'm sticking with 10074 and not going back to Windows 8.1. I only use a few programs on my S3 and they run just fine. Can only imigine how much better 10130/36 is going to be!

eds817

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I had several builds and after 10130 I went back to 8.1, it was the worse one yet on my SP3. Waiting for the next build to try again. Win10 is going to be a game changer.

H Seldon

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm not totally sold on the tablet experience with Win 10. I have quite a few surfaces sitting around the house and Win 10 feels like a step back from 8.1. Too much having to press buttons to access things. The swipe right is definitely a step back. Bring back the 8.1 app switcher or use swipe right to access the hamburger menu.

luniboy26

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I definitely have avoided putting Windows 10 on my Surface 3. For one, I have no problems with Windows 8.1 so that's probably the main reason another is as I get older I find myself to not like beta testing like I use to.

I'm sure it'll be great when it's released and that's when I'll download it.

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Only thing pushing me to W10 on my SP3 right now is the ability to stream Xbox One games to it..........may hold out a little longer if its so bad!!

Xsled

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi bells0. Just thought I would update. I took the dive in yesterday and so far I am not regretting it. Sure, there are still quite a few odd little bugs that could potentially be annoying, but UI wise I am pretty pleased. Game streaming is awesome!

I am sure the little bugs will get squashed over the coming weeks, so...at this point in time, I do not regret my decision.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon