14901 Preview - Settings Crashes

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
this error is produced on both upgrade from AU and clean install from ISO, no programs installed. Tested on 5 different PC setups all produce the same issue. They are not old systems, they are all systems that are less than a year old and all are top end spec'd machines. As I said before and I will say it again this build should of not passed MS's own internal rings. Yes I have provided feedback to MS on this matter. Yes problems and bugs are to be expected for sure. But having the problem be the whole settings app is not a small issue, not being able to use the app to roll back, not being able to use the settings app to verify your account, not being able to set dpi or actually use anything in the settings app other than windows update is a major bug that should have been picked up in the internal rings before being releases to the fast ring. Now I'm a very experienced beta tester all the way back to windows 95 and can deal with this and and roll back via other methods, there are many on the insider program that can not figure this out and really shouldn't have to deal with a bug like this to say the truth.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I too have the same issue as the OP who was asking advice not asking to be told read the TLC of insider.
please try to be a bit more helpful & stop trolling the threads .
so yes the setting menu crashed and this PC and roll back buttons are missing, i have a bck up to use but it would be easier if there was a quicker solution.

just put the AU ISO file on your hard drive, mount and run setup. It will install back to the AU.

cadoresg

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the solution Piwcio, so it seems the upgrade and iso for 14901 are corrupt on ms servers? missing 1 file lol in the update procedure and in the home esd.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm happy this got resolved ...

Lesson learned = have a fallback, because stuff happens.

The ISO for AU was a stellar idea for a fallback ... until a solution was uncovered.

dwotto

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I can't even change brightness as even in quick actions it's become just an on off button that does nothing. Thankfully Windows Update seems to be the only functional component in settings.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

bdchambers79

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Posting issues here doesn't help improve the platform, it needs to be through MS.

Of course that's how we report issues, but MS never responds directly to the user, so we post here for discussion and possible fixes on our end.

For myself, I found some old discussions from a similar issue in 2015 that were resolved by repairing system files (either with sfc/dism or by reinstallation), but SFC doesn't find any problems for me and another user posted that they reinstalled w/o fixing it. I've also checked for store updates w/o finding anything. I will note, however, that it only affects my Display settings; other settings pages are fine.

Oh, wait, you're not interested in discussion, are you? You just like ****ting on others. Carry on then. Go ahead and brag about how I don't deserve your sympathy because I happen to like discussing issues with other users who are also on the bleeding edge.

Edit: Just caught up on the thread, but the link to the file DL isn't active anymore. Would someone mind posting it again? I'd be much obliged.

Edit2: Just found the file on answers.microsoft.com, but thank you everyone for the helpful conversation.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon