[Guide] Installing Redstone on Unsupported devices (X2X Series)

Conan143

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site

Description

Hello guys, I am back again, I've been playing with Redstone build on my Lumia 925 for the past 3 days and I'm surprised that the build is stable enough to use as a daily driver on the old lumia phones.

So for those users who're itching to get Redstone on their unsupported devices, here is the laymens guide. The whole process is similar to the guide I made for Installing GDR2. Only the part where we edit the registry details will defer.

So without any further ado, let us start.

A short advice - Please be patient and calm as your phone will be standing at death's door during the entire process. So it entirely depends on you whether you managed to get through this successfully or not :)

Anyway, I will be guiding you through out the entire process in laymen terms so that you might not get astray. For this guide I am using the Windows Phone Internals Tool v1.2 developed by HeathcliffXDA.

I advice you to see the below video to get familiar with the process. (Not mandatory)

Warning

1) Changes made to your phone are not permanent and can be restored using Lumia Software Recovery Tool or Windows Phone Recovery Tool or Windows Phone Internal v1.2.

2) Doing this procedure sometimes might accidentally brick your phone, so feel free to ask me questions before proceeding.

3) Exceptional Cases - These are the errors you might possibly face if something goes wrong during the process.

a) Your phone doesn't boot and stays blank (QHSUSB_DLOAD error - to confirm see it in the device manager of your PC)​

Use Windows Recovery Tool and select "Device Not Detected" and it will bring your phone back to normal. If the WDR Tool doesn't help then go to this link and use the procedure described in it.​

b) Your phone says "Unable to find a bootable option. Press any key to shut down" - For this use the same Windows Recovery Tool.​

Software Requirements

Windows Phone 8/8.1

1) Any Nokia Lumia X2X Series (with and without SD card) running the below OS versions

• 8.10.14234.375 (My lumia 925 is on this version)
These OS versions are crucial, so before attempting this procedure check if your phone OS has any one of these versions, if not, please politely withdraw right now, before it is too late.​

2) Please backup your phone, as sometimes (aforementioned exceptional cases) you may need to flash your Stock ROM back to your phone.

3) Files needed

a) WPinternals 1.2 and Engineering-SBL3s - Here

b) CustomPFD_0006.xap - Here

c) Emergency loaders - These are the files that helps your phone get back to former state in case of any contingencies.​

How to get these files (.mbn and .hex)

i) Go to this link and search for your product code (in my case it is 059T0P2)​

ii) Under the "Model Info" Stock rom files you will see another section with a heading "Emergency files"​

iii) Download both of them (.mbn and .hex) and move to a folder named "Emergency loaders" (You can use any name...)​

d) Windows Device Recovery Tool - Here

We will use this tool to recover your phone in case it is bricked. But, be aware that this tool may sometimes recover your phone and if it doesn't then it is time for you to look for a new phone (Kidding...only in rare cases does WDR tool might not be able to recover your phone, in that case your only option is either use JTAG or go straight to service center.)​

e) Windows 8.1 SDK lite tools - Here

f) Stock ROM files - Here

4) Ok, now you have all the required files before you get started.

Windows 10 Mobile

1) Any Nokia Lumia X2X Series (with and without SD card) running the below OS versions

Users who're on these versions can get Redstone in a much simpler way. You can stop here.​

2) Files needed

a) InteropTools v 1.8 - Here

b) DHTUpgrade Advisor - Here

3) Go to developer options and enable developer mode. After that,

a) Copy the appx files from "Dependencies" and "InteropTools_Beta_1.8_0.0.160.0_arm.appxbundle" to your phone and install them.​

b) Now open InteropTools (beta) >> goto "INTEROP UNLOCK" section >> toggle on the Restore NDTKSvc.​

4) Now similarly install the files from "DHTUpgrade Advisor" and "Dependecies" via file explorer.

a) After installing, Open DHTUpgrade Advisor, select backup and then choose "Allow Update 512MB devices" or "Allow Update"​

b) Crosscheck if your device info details are changed or not in the "About" tab. If not, reboot your phone.​

4) Go to windows update and check for updates.

a) If the update isn't offered, then install "Upgrade Advisor" via Windows Store. After installing it, open the app and follow the required steps.​

b) Once again, go to windows update and check for updates.​

5) Enjoy Redstone on your device.

Hardware Requirements

1) Nokia Lumia X2X Series with/without SD card capability.

2) USB cable.

3) Working PC (lol)

Process: Part 1 - Preparation

1) Hard reset isn't needed, just make sure you have any one of those aforementioned OS versions installed on your phone AND also see that your phone has latest firmware installed (denim) + OS update.

2) Next, connect your phone to PC, and Open Windows Phone Internals.exe from the downloaded file (Windows Phone Internals.rar), you will be welcomed with a "Getting started" page. Read it thoroughly so that you will get familiar and aware of risks involved in using this tool. Don't just skim it :)

After opening the tool, Go to "info" and click "Flash mode" under the security tab. Your device will be rebooted in flash mode.​

Info2.PNG

Important : Leave the Windows Phone Internals tool open during the entire process (or at least during the flashing).

3) Now, go to "Unlock boot loader" and select the required files for unlocking as shown in the below image. This is where the above downloaded files will come into play.

Unlock_loader.PNG

4) Now click continue and wait for the tool to finish the unlocking process. After it is done, your phone will boot normally to your lockscreen.

To ensure whether the boot loader is successfully unlocked or not, check whether the status of Qfuse, Effective bootloader security, Secure boot platform, Effective boot status turned to green like as shown in the below image. Only after ensuring, go for next step.​

Note : You will get the info only during the Flash Mode, so before checking the status put your phone to "Flash Mode"

Boot_loader.PNG

5) Now you need to enable root access in your phone, which is essential for changing the registry keys.

Now click "Enable Root Access" in the WPI tool and click "unlock phone".​

Phone_Unlock.PNG

After it is done, a window will be opened in the PC as soon as the rooting process is finished, showing the internal files of your phone, just leave them as it is and don't try to modify them. Your phone will stay blank as it is in the Mass Storage mode, which is perfectly normal, don't panic. We just need to exit this mode.​

Just press Power button and Volume down for 10 sec and your phone will exit Mass Storage mode. And it will boot normally to your lockscreen.​

6) Almost 80% of the process is completed, at this step your phone is successfully unlocked and root access is enabled.

You can stop at this point and get the benefits of Root access for your Lumia i.e., Jailbreak (sideload homebrew apps) - Just do a hard reset

7) Now go to PC and open "Windows Phone Application Deployment 8.1" >> Target = Device; App = "pathoffile\CustomPFD_0006.xap" >> Open >> Deploy >> Deploying File >> App deployment complete. >> Close

8) Verify if "CustomPFD_0006.xap" shows up in app list. If it is there, then you are good to go.

Process: Part 2 - Registry Edits

You can do this in two ways

First way

1) Open "CustomPFD Registry Editor" >> REGISTRY TREE >> HKLM >> SYSTEM >> Platform >> DeviceTargetingInfo

2) Edit Registry:

PhoneManufacturerModelName >> RM-984_1006 >> Write​
PhoneModelName >> Lumia 830 >> Write​
PhoneHardwareVariant. >> RM-984 >> Write​
PhoneManufacturer >> NOKIA >> Write​

Second way

1) Connect your device and open Windows Phone Internals and boot into Mass Storage Mode.

2) Once you'r in mass storage mode, open regedit in your pc. Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and goto File >> load hive

a) In the dialog box navigate to MainOS >> Windows/system32/config and select SYSTEM. It will ask you for a name, enter any name (ex: My phone) and save it.​

b) Now Navigate to Platform >> DeviceTargetingInfo and then change the keys as shown in the next step.​

Screenshot (30).png

3) Edit Registry:

PhoneManufacturerModelName >> RM-984_1006 >> Write​
PhoneModelName >> Lumia 830 >> Write​
PhoneHardwareVariant. >> RM-984 >> Write​
PhoneManufacturer >> NOKIA >> Write​

4) After editing, click unload hive. And then, Exit Mass Storage mode by pressing Power button and Volume down for 10 sec and your phone will boot to lockscreen.​

---------​

3) At this point your phone is completely Interop unlocked and has Mass Storage mode enabled. So, let me clarify two things.

a) For Advanced Users - If you wish to retain Mass Storage mode (useful for changing registry keys using regedit.exe) and root unlock, you can skip this step and move directly to step 5.

Note that OS updates can't lock the bootloader of your phone. So it stays unlocked until you flash the using Windows Recovery Tool or till the device recieves OTA firmware update, which won't happen to old devices at all. In short, make sure all the firmware updates available for your phone are installed prior to installing Redstone.​

b) For Basic Users - This is a risk-free way. Do the following steps​

i) First : Go to "Windows Phone Internals tool" and select "Disable Root Access", make sure you get the message "Root access is disabled". After doing this step, your phone will boot normally and wait for it to boot to lock-screen.​

ii) Second : After disabling the root access, Click "Restore Bootloader" in the WPI tool (your phone will again go to flash mode). Wait for the process to complete and the phone to boot back to normal. (Not necessary but I still prefer to do so.)​

You might be wondering why as soon as we edit the registry we should disable the root access and boot-loader, right?​

Reason is if you update the phone without disabling the root access and boot loader, the newly downloaded update (especially firmware) might corrupt your phone, leading to its death. You wouldn't want that right?

That is why you see this message in the Windows Phone Internal Tool "Getting Started" Page.​
Update.PNG

A warning : First "Disable root access" and then "Restore boot loader", and don't ever never do the other way (i.e., restoring boot loader without disabling root access, doing so will brick your phone.)

4) Head's up - Don't check for updates without doing the 3rd step as it is the crucial step in the whole process.

5) Now go to store and install Windows Insider app and select any preferred ring. I have selected Release Preview.

This step is the most important one.... "Do not check for updates" without selecting any ring in Windows Insider. If you do so, you will be downloading the firmware as well as windows 10 update of whatever be the model you choose to spoof (830 in my case). So, we're using Windows Insider to bypass firmware updates and only grab Windows update. (Haven't tested this. Just saying. Feel free to check this if it is offering firmware update or not.)​

Now go to Settings >> phone update >> check for updates >> Install Updates >> Done​

6) Now you have Windows 10 Mobile build 10586.107 installed on your phone. After that go to Windows Insider and select leave the programme.

Now once again go to Settings >> phone update >> check for updates >> Install Updates >> Done​

5) After the Redstone update is installed you may chose to reset and start fresh. Resetting is not mandatory. But I advice you to reset as your device details (registry edits) will get restored to default ones.

That's it.......Enjoy Redstone on your phone :)

Note : Remember when using the Windows Phone Internals Tool, always make note of this two important rules.

"First Unlock bootloader and then only Enable Root Access"
"First Disable Root Access and then only Restore Bootloader"​

BTW I have 1520 as a backup phone. So I don't mind tinkering with my old Lumia 925.

Finally, all the people involved directly or indirectly in making this possible (including me) will not be held responsible for any damage.

This ends the tutorial. Sry for my poor english, please feel free to correct it.

All the credits goes to HeathcliffXDA (for the awesome tool), and XDA-Developers, Please thank them.

Good Luck :)

Current W10M builds

1) Production Ring - 10.0.14393.448

2) Release Preview Ring - 10.0.14393.448

3) Slow Ring - 10.0.14393.448

4) Fast Ring - 10.0.14965.1001

Post below if you are successful in installing Redstone update or have any other questions.

Last edited:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Really in depth guide. Good work!

[WARN]

An Important Note

The OP notes this - but it's worth saying again.
This is not necessarily a consumer friendly process. Do know that you are potentially putting your warranty and device at risk by following a process like this one.

[/WARN]

Conan143

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your concern, I do have a backup phone so I don't mind tinkering with it and that too its warranty had long long ago expired. But, it's worth sayin as this will serve as a warning to the users and the consequences they might face before giving this guide a try.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
My 520 crash during appx installation mmmmm sounds bad >.<

EDIT. I can't believe, my 520 is just downloading 14393.67!!! :confused:

A old 520 is running redstone 1. Not so smooth as my 650, but it runs. ANd got the double tap to wake too, as always ;)

Last edited:

KINGSLRVP93

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
i have the htc m8 windows verizon and i have rolled back to 8.1 will this method also work for my device or only nokia os version:8.10.15143.154???

pgDarkness

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Awesome guide. I was using Lumia 630 Dual (512MB RAM) with windows 10.0.10586.545, and now phone is downloading windows 10.0.14393.67

Just a quick question, after installing the Red Stone, should I restore original phone info from DHTUpgradeAdvisor? Does doing so break anything?

Thanks again...

Conan143

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
i have the htc m8 windows verizon and i have rolled back to 8.1 will this method also work for my device or only nokia os version:8.10.15143.154???

Apologies for late reply.....Yes this method works on HTC M8...but unfortunately you have rolled back to 8.1 and WPI doesn't support this device for root unlocking. So if you're on Windows 10, then you can give this guide a try. But, please read the warnings.

A proof of someone who managed to install Redstone on HTC M8 AT&T - Here

Conan143

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Just a quick question, after installing the Red Stone, should I restore original phone info from DHTUpgradeAdvisor? Does doing so break anything?

Thanks again...

Yes, if you plan to use this phone without doing a reset. And the app doesn't break anything. It just restores the backed up registry keys to your phone. But, I recommend a hard reset, if you come across any lags or bugs.

BackToTheFuture

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
It's easy to get Glance back. Either you add it step by step with registry editor, or you could use the newest version of interop tools

May you give me the link/instruction to do that? I read that long thread on XDA, but it's getting really confusingly fragmented - no idea to follow from where. Much appreciated if someone could give a concise guideline.

Didier FERS

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello.
Many thanks for this procedure.
It work very well and i have my Lumia 1020 on WP 10.0.14393.67

There is some minor bugs like "dynamic tile calendar does not work".
I would like to upgrade to 10.0.14915
Is the "Process: Part 2 - Registry Edits" enough to do this?

Thanks

Last edited:

Conan143

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Is the "Process: Part 2 - Registry Edits" enough to do this?

Yes. But your device has to be Interop unlocked.

Calendar works fine at-least on Release Preview. Did you check for updates in Store? Cannot confirm on 10.0.14393.67 as I moved to RP ring as this build (14393.67) has some minor bugs which couldn't be solved with a hard reset.

If you want to jump builds, I recommend you to choose Release Preview instead of Fast Ring as you know those builds (Redstone 2) tend to be less stable. I'm on RP ring and the build 10.0.14393.103 works great :)

Didier FERS

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello.
I choose Release Preview and i'm again on 14393.67
Strange
After the update i will try again Windows Insider.

PS : i'm in France. Maybe i must put another RM on registry
PS2 : Yes !!! after 14393.67 i choosed again Release Preview in Windows Insider and now i have 14393.103 on update
PS3 : One question. What's happen if we don't leave Windows Insider at the end before reseting ?

Last edited:

Conan143

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
PS3 : One question. What's happen if we don't leave Windows Insider at the end before reseting ?

Nothing, whatever be the ring you chose in Windows insider programme, your device registry details will get restored after a hard reset. I mentioned in the step 6 of this guide to leave the programme so as to move the phone from Insider to Production build (14393.67). You can do this manually too instead of a hard reset. Use the custompfd or Interoptools.

So for further updates, you can just spoof the device again and check for updates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss