A W10 modular phone?

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I know I just made another thread, but this has been on my mind...

Windows had been modular since 95ish, W10 still is... This OS was made for a million parts and million manufacturers...

Will we see a modular W10 phone? Do you want one?

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm really excited about the new Project Aura phones that Google are working on - phones get older every year, and to make them upgradeable like my desktop rig really excites me. Imagine being able to have a Lumia 925-style ultra-thin phone, but then being able to snap on a 1020 camera module!!! I think MS should definitely look into this, it's not an easy feat to make components swappable like that but it's not impossible either.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm really excited about the new Project Aura phones that Google are working on - phones get older every year, and to make them upgradeable like my desktop rig really excites me. Imagine being able to have a Lumia 925-style ultra-thin phone, but then being able to snap on a 1020 camera module!!! I think MS should definitely look into this, it's not an easy feat to make components swappable like that but it's not impossible either.

I watched this video and been reading about Google's project Aura here. The Concept is neat but, I don't think it will take off.

When people decide they want a new phone (unless your a iSheep), you want a new look, better display and smoother/faster performance. A lot of people (including myself) looks at a phone how it was designed and how it looks (a lot of "art" goes into designing a phone these days).

Sure, you can spend the $300 to upgrade the CPU/GPU to a modern spec, then prey that Google offers the drivers for it, then you have to worry about carriers supporting all aspects of the phone. like Verizon does with the ICON or other devices, you could get a new CPU but, wait 3-6 months before you can actually use it.

Most people are in that disposable world thing (90% of smart phone buyers). Their old phone is OLD, they go out and buy a new one, plain and simple. A Modular phone would not be really a great concept for 90% of the people, maybe forums like this (hobbyists) but, for the masses, no way.

The other side of it will be cost, who would actually go out and spend $200-300 on a CPU/GPU upgrade (because standalone that is what it would cost), when you can get a full new phone, with new look, same or better specs for under $200 with a 2 year contract ?

Nice concept but, I think that is all it will ever be is a concept or if released, it will be a special order that is ONLY GSM unlocked and that would leave a good % of people unable to use it...

And as Smartphones go, if it's not going to sell for the masses, it will be a failure...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ exactly my thoughts too. I'd love to try one myself, but honestly, they aren't pretty and they will never be as compact or robust as unibody designs. I don't see the idea ever achieving mass market adoption.

Last edited:

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
But it is made for Windows...
In the third world imagine medical sensors, water testers, snap and un snap... Yes that is also the bt dream a little bit but that requires two outlets...

Anyway, drivers? The manufacturer would make the drivers, just like for PC parts now. Verizon or att or etc, would just need to worry about the cell module... And that's it.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
^ exactly my thoughts too. I'd love to try one myself, but honestly, they aren't pretty and they will never be as compact or robust as unibody designs. I don't see the idea ever achieving mass market adoption.

With everything I said, it's possible because it's a prototype that is shown, and it is completely a prototype in looks. It could be completely modular, meaning instead of buying a new phone, you just buy a new display/case and plug in the guts. This might be an ok model. So when you go out, you buy a new display and look/case for the phone, then you can use your old guts or buy new ones...

I still feel 95% of the people out there would care less about this concept, sure there is the 5 or even 10% that would love the idea (people here or on android forums) and this would lean towards the person who builds their own PCs and tech tinkers. This is NOT the mainstream market.

Think about the idea, by now, a TON of people, who not even very techy understand on how to build a PC these days, as 95% of it's plug and play, read a book, get some specs buy parts, plug it in, follow directions from about a million sites....easy right ? But, who actually does it ? Mainstream, go to your local big box store and buy a new PC...

If it gets released, it will be interesting to see how they market it and who they target in their marketing....Still feel it will be a really hard sell.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes