Win10 on L930: Stuck on loading startscreen

ncbartschi

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
HTC One M8 here.

Having the same exact problem, updated to latest build fine, but immediately after I couldn't load the Start screen, everything else seemed to work fine. Got the Start screen to show twice, but couldn't get it back. When I did see it, it was scaled very strangely, with tiles only taking up 3/4 of the screen aligned to the left. After much restarting and playing, seems the best way to actually get the Start screen to show is to restart and let it "Load" for a few minutes, eventually you'll get it back. I used a combination of opening Cortana and using the back button to get it working again.

Quick warning to everyone:

I couldn't open settings from the Action Center. I had to wait for Start screen to show to toggle settings and attempt a hard reset. It's resetting right now, will post back with an update in a few minutes. Hopefully this clears the issue.

avi_920

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Did a soft reset twice, & now it's working.

Loading problem occurs only if you get back from the settings option. You need to do a soft reset every time you go to setting and come out of it.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 920 here....instead of showing migrating apps/settings all I see is a blank screen. Restarted several times but still blank screen...heellp!!!

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Same for my ATT 920...

What I can do and found out:

• I can go to settings through action center and mess with. Transparency slider and more colors are present too..
  • Also if I press the back button, it'll show a mouse pointer on the top left corner..

ncbartschi

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Update:

Did a hard reset on my M8. Seems to have fixed start screen not loading, although still very slow to load the start screen sometimes.

Might be an issue with migrating apps when upgrading to 10. I suggest everyone to do a hard reset if they're having any problems.

avi_920

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
GUYS!

Nothing to worry. Just do a soft reset. No need for hard reset.

It happens only when you return form the settings.

I'm using L920, have never hard rested even once with W10.

OwlPower

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
After wait for 30+ min with the "Loading...", I just did a factory reset. If the phone was actually doing something important for over 30 min, then they should have added a progress bar so I could tell what was going on.

After the factory reset everything is working. I noticed before the factory reset that my Bluetooth would not enable and the wifi could not find 5 Ghz, only 2.4 GHz. Both of those problems are gone after the factory reset. Bluetooth and 5 GHz wifi are working.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
My update went ok initially, but I immediately did a hard reset to start fresh. After the first hard reset (which took like 20 minutes) I went through the setup and it was stuck on the screen that said APPS A few more apps still need to finish installing... etc.

That went for like 30 minutes and I thought it wasn't going to finish because I had skipped the WiFi setup and I didn't have any LTE showing, so I did a soft reset.. it booted up and I had just three blank tiles on the start screen and only had a hand full of apps in the all apps page. Settings was not one of them so I couldn't hard reset without doing the hardware hard reset.

Now I'm back at that same Apps screen but connected to WiFi as well..... here's hoping it gets past that eventually.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Is there a difference between the "soft reset" (volume down + power) and just holding the power button and swiping down?
I just did the power, twice, and it's still "loading...".
JJ

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue. Took forever to get passed it. I do not have the updated settings page and no option to toggle more tiles of start screen background :(

Glenn Ruysschaert

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Getting the same here, maybe it's the apps still installing in the background.
I will let it run overnight and see how it fares in the morning.
Tried a couple of soft resets already, the start screen did work immediately after the update finished.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
HTC One M8 here.

Having the same exact problem, updated to latest build fine, but immediately after I couldn't load the Start screen, everything else seemed to work fine. Got the Start screen to show twice, but couldn't get it back. When I did see it, it was scaled very strangely, with tiles only taking up 3/4 of the screen aligned to the left. After much restarting and playing, seems the best way to actually get the Start screen to show is to restart and let it "Load" for a few minutes, eventually you'll get it back. I used a combination of opening Cortana and using the back button to get it working again.

Quick warning to everyone:

I couldn't open settings from the Action Center. I had to wait for Start screen to show to toggle settings and attempt a hard reset. It's resetting right now, will post back with an update in a few minutes. Hopefully this clears the issue.

Exact same thing happening to me with my HTC One M8. Start screen stick on loading. I've been able to get it to show a few times but mostly just a lot of "Loading...".

Martinspire

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I had the issue again when i had rebooted my phone. I had waited for about an hour after which the startscreen showed, but after reboot it was a mess again.

Then i tried hard-reset and everything looked fine. But as soon as i started installing my apps again, it would fail on the startscreen again. Showing me the loading message.

Now i don't know what triggers the loading but i feel that this is an issue i cant live with.
I think i might go back to 8.1 again since this is just not working out. And perhaps i'll try installing win10 again, but i doubt it will make a difference. I think there might be something wrong with the installation but i don't know if it might be fixed with a full reinstall.

I'll just wait again until i can see the startscreen again and do some more testing. If it works again and also after reboot i will keep it, but otherwise i'll try a clean reinstall.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes