Nokia Lumia 930 and Build 10080 - My thoughts

GelvinGSM

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
As the build goes live, I installed it in my 930. One thing I would mention here is that this is my first ever try-out of a technical preview build so I might be wrong at places.

Initial thoughts?
The UI is a mess. Sometimes useable and other times, a big nuisance. Abnormal situation of declining juice - I know it's preview.

What I noticed?
  • Start screen is messed up and sometimes won't load even after 5 minutes of unlocking the lock screen(already did the hard reset). Have to somehow force the phone to get to the start screen.
  • If you change the transparency of live tiles and return back to start screen, the background wallpaper will be messed up. Its like, I have set three columns of tiles and the background wallpaper will be limited to only 2 columns.
  • Sending text messages sometimes just doesn't show. If you send a message to someone via messaging app, the message will be sent but not shown in the conversation.
  • Taking screenshots - This part is funny. If you take a snap of your phone. The pop-up after snapping, will say, couldn't take screenshots while the screenshot is present in the photos app.
  • A random notification appears out of nowhere. You phone is scheduled to restart at 12:00 am or sometimes 2:00am. Opening the notification only leads to start screen.
  • I pinned the calender app at start screen. Sometimes, it just disappears from the place where I pinned it and appears after like 3-4 seconds.
  • Store Beta sometimes work. Sometimes, it just shows "preparing to install" or something like that when I try to download an app from Store Beta.
  • Some apps like "Flashlight" opens in 10 and sometimes 20+ seconds. It only took about a second to load up in 8.1
  • I noticed when I was engaged in a conversation with my girlfriend from the messaging app, text messages and then, without closing the messaging app, I opened another app or just simply locked the phone using power button. When her text came, the phone only vibrates. There is no notification in the notification center whether she has text me back. I have to check manually by opening our conversation whether she has sent a text.
  • Phone becomes incredibly hot sometimes even in standby mode and becomes unresponsive.
  • Battery timing is quite bad from 8.1 Sometimes, it drains 25% in just 10 minutes in standby.
  • Sometimes, when I close an app and return to start screen, the start screen won't load. The background shows a purple(color is set to purple)plain wallpaper.
  • Holding down start or back button shows a tiny mouse cursor over the signals-strength bar.
  • Phone's time changes automatically. Yesterday, when I opened whatsapp, there was a window to change my time. Went into settings to change it but it was already set to automatically.

These are all I can think of right now. I am back to 8.1 with the (thanks to Microsoft and Windows Central team) Windows Phone Recovery tool guide.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Nice review.
I hope you also used the windows feedback app to give this feedback to Microsoft.
Anyhow thanks for the post.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos