Mail app, pin individual accounts?

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
So far the thing I hate most in the new mail client is the fact the tile and notifications combine all accounts. Which mixes my work messages with my personal messages.

Has there been any official word if account pinning and notification control will be coming?

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I think it will come with time. It's now possible with the Outlook Mail app in W10 desktop to pin individual accounts as tiles - and because it's the same app on desktop and mobile it will surely come to mobile soon

natan man

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Tap on hamburger 🍔 in Outlook and then on inbox and now you can pin the inbox on the start screen.that the new app for 10WTP.you can do that in any account.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Oh cool, so it should come to the phone then. I don't usually look a the mail or people apps on my PC.

A couple builds back the PC version of Cortana made reference to the "phone" in the menu.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm talking about phone. Look in store beta for mail and calendar outlook and update the app.
Oh, great news then. It must have updated since the last time I checked. I only had the current TP for about two days but at the time it didn't have that feature. Hopefully there will be a build this week.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Back on the TP now and while they can be pinned it isn't functioning yet. I've pinned both gmail and exchange and they both open up to a blank gmail. I have to open the main tile to get any syncing. At least we know they are working on it.

On the notifications side they are still all jumbled together. I wish they just stuck with the 8.1 model and allowed accounts to be apps. This combined stuff is a mess, especially for enterprise users.

JeffBee

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Back on the TP now and while they can be pinned it isn't functioning yet. I've pinned both gmail and exchange and they both open up to a blank gmail. I have to open the main tile to get any syncing. At least we know they are working on it.

It's working for me on my 1520 and the latest build. I pinned two gmail accounts to the start screen and they both open the inbox and are populated with email.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I can pin the individual accounts, but there is still one thing that bothers me to no end.. and this goes back to WP8...

When you pin the individual mail accounts the icons are all the same. If I have them all as small tiles and have 3 or 4 different accounts I can't tell which one I am going into.

I would love to have custom icons on those small tiles, or even the ability to give each inbox a short nickname that shows up on the tile.

More of an annoyance then anything, but I still want it, dang it! :smile:

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I can pin the individual accounts, but there is still one thing that bothers me to no end.. and this goes back to WP8...

When you pin the individual mail accounts the icons are all the same. If I have them all as small tiles and have 3 or 4 different accounts I can't tell which one I am going into.

I would love to have custom icons on those small tiles, or even the ability to give each inbox a short nickname that shows up on the tile.

It was nice because at least exchange had a different icon.

I pinned them, they just didn't do anything but I could try again. This build is a little wonky with these kinds of things.

I just don't understand the combined one app direction for mail. It's nothing but problems and over complicated. The WP8 account model was one of the main reasons I switched. But if we can get full separation in the end it would be ok. Then we could choose.

fueledbygin

May 23, 2014
Visit site

On the latest build of Windows 10, they are named whatever you named the account, just like in WP 8.1. That's how you differentiate between the tiles on both OSes. Your issue shouldn't be an issue unless you named them all the same?

That's not to say there isn't a lot more work needed for Outlook Mail on WP 10. It doesn't segregate your notifications by inbox, nor does it go to the email in question when you click on the notification (just goes to whatever inbox was last open in the app).

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'll do you one better. I was able to pin tiles for individual accounts, but they began magically and slowly vanishing. First the outlook icons disappeared from the tiles, and then the tiles disappeared altogehter. Annying bugs don't bother me but outright bizarre things like this are troubling.

Another case was with the music preview app. It literally decided to replace one of the songs on my playlist with a different song by the same artist. Windows 10 is haunted.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
LOL, these previews have been plagued with disappearing apps. Sometimes they don't show up in search when they are there as well. Almost no logic to the weirdness. I think the store is just kind of effed up for a lack of a better term.

After I pinned them back they appear to be working. I think there was an outlook update that may have made those account tiles bad.

I had one app get borked when it's update failed mid download. I haven't been able to get it to recover and the existing one won't run. I may do a reset tonight.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
On the latest build of Windows 10, they are named whatever you named the account, just like in WP 8.1. That's how you differentiate between the tiles on both OSes. Your issue shouldn't be an issue unless you named them all the same?

That's not to say there isn't a lot more work needed for Outlook Mail on WP 10. It doesn't segregate your notifications by inbox, nor does it go to the email in question when you click on the notification (just goes to whatever inbox was last open in the app).

Yes, but the name only shows up if you use a big tile. If you use the small tiles they all have the same icon and are nameless.

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Does the default mail app icon always take you to the account's inbox or does it take you to the last folder you were viewing?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon