How can I stop loading loop on my Windows 10 mobile build 10166?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm still on 10166 and I THINK I've narrowed the loading loop problem down. I started getting it again last night and decided to try something different. I don't think it has anything to do with the amount of tiles on your start screen, or having folders on your start screen.

I think it is because of the background image. While stuck in a loading loop I switched to background image none and then did a soft reset. It immediately went to my start screen. It worked reliably all night and this morning. That is until I tried setting it to a back ground image; then it immediately went into the loading loop. I then reverted to no image did a soft reset and it booted to my start screen with no problems.

How do I report this to Microsoft?

Thallanor

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
It has been mentioned here a few times in this very thread that showing more tiles/not showing more tiles, as well as adding/removing a background, even after a soft reset, is not the smoking gun with this issue. I'm not saying people shouldn't contribute what's resolved it for them, but it's also important to be aware that there is no "eureka!" solution here that is working for everyone. Or close to everyone for that matter.

I've found build 10512 to be better so far, but we'll see. I've not restarted my phone many times yet, and it seems with this issue that it can work, work, and work, over numerous resets, but then finally, something triggers it and a restart then gives one the "Loading.." loop.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
The problem is that people are doing both, instead of trying one OR the other. By doing both, you are not narrowing down the problem. Try one OR the other and see which one works. I didn't remove any tiles from my start screen, I did turn off, "show more tiles" and that didn't work. I turned on, "show more tiles" then got rid of the background image, and it worked.

The as soon as I started using a background image, the loading loop issue came back. I don't even think you need to do a soft reset after getting rid of the background image. I recreated the problem just a few minutes ago. I selected an image to use as my background and it went into the loading loop. I've tried the same image saved at different file sizes/resolutions and got the loading loop problem. I set the background image to none and the loading loop problem stopped. So yes, I believe it is as simple as using a background image that is causing the problem.

When troubleshooting, always look for the simplest cause first.

SiebenDX

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, I found a very nice solution by my self to stop the loading loop and open the Start screen. Its really really easy and works every time.

If the "Loading..." appears, just wait, until it disappears (black screen) and just in this moment press Volume - and the lock button at the same time for a second. The feedback app will now show up (it sometimes takes some seconds) and if you close this app, the Startmenu appears.

Please let me hear if this works on your devices too!

Rhoyz

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys, I found a very nice solution by my self to stop the loading loop and open the Start screen. Its really really easy and works every time.

If the "Loading..." appears, just wait, until it disappears (black screen) and just in this moment press Volume - and the lock button at the same time for a second. The feedback app will now show up (it sometimes takes some seconds) and if you close this app, the Startmenu appears.

It works!

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Hay guy, just a little info for you I had same problem. I am now on build 10512 now with like no problems. Ok I had to get a replacement phone and since the old one still worked I did a little testing, I found that it does seem to do with the amount of tiles on the start screen the more I took off the quicker it was. It also got to the point it would open just fine with no help from me. Another thing after I had my new phone up and running ok I took the old one again did master reset started from the beginning not using restore apps 8.1 up to 10166 and stop. I downloaded most of my apps to start screen and now no problems and it ran great no loading issues and then the same for build 10512. So I feel a clean start would have solved all my issues from the start but I must say it is time consuming at most my 928 to do reset took most of the day, great if you got alot of grass to cut.

Thallanor

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I would suggest that you read this thread more thoroughly. Myself and many others _have_ performed these "fixes" one at a time. Some of us have been working on this issue and have been attempting "fixes" as they've been announced - one at a time.

I've gone into a ridiculous amount of detail with my testing, not just "yawn, changed wallpaper, didn't work" or "yawn, enabled more tiles or less tiles, didn't work." I've provided numbers and statistics and have spent hours restarting, changing the most minute things, then restarting, and testing further.

Furthermore, your "fix" of removing the wallpaper has already been mentioned in this thread a couple times, and others have already indicated that it's not resolved the issue.

I'm not trying to deter people from attempting to fix this, but again, this has been beating a dead horse with the number of "try this" when "this" has been already confirmed to not be the solution. I know it's a long thread, but it's worth reading in its entirety.

Thallanor

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site

This was posted earlier by another member and has been confirmed, like the other fixes, to work for some, not work for many. I believe so far we have:

* Volume Up + Power for Feedback app.
* Mash Start button repeatedly.
* Remove wallpaper or change wallpaper.
* Enable Show More Tiles or disable Show More Tiles.

Pretty sure there are a couple more I'm missing, but these are off the top of my head. They seem to work for some users, but not for most. The only real solution seems to be decreasing the number of apps, not just pinned, but just simply installed.

Thallanor

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Hay guy, just a little info for you I had same problem. I am now on build 10512 now with like no problems. Ok I had to get a replacement phone and since the old one still worked I did a little testing, I found that it does seem to do with the amount of tiles on the start screen the more I took off the quicker it was. It also got to the point it would open just fine with no help from me. Another thing after I had my new phone up and running ok I took the old one again did master reset started from the beginning not using restore apps 8.1 up to 10166 and stop. I downloaded most of my apps to start screen and now no problems and it ran great no loading issues and then the same for build 10512. So I feel a clean start would have solved all my issues from the start but I must say it is time consuming at most my 928 to do reset took most of the day, great if you got alot of grass to cut.
I was doing well on Build 10166 until approximately 85 apps on my Start Screen, 100 installed. On Build 10512, I thought I had dodged the bullet, but noted I had not restarted my phone yet. I did, and boom, "Loading..." loop. I started uninstalling apps until the Start Screen loaded properly again, and the numbers are similar to 10166 - 92 apps on the Start Screen, 102 installed. It seems to be right around there that, at least on the Lumia 1520, things begin to go south. Like you, I've noticed that the fewer the items on the Start Screen, the faster it is. With 92 apps on the Start Screen, I'm looking at 2-3 seconds of "Loading..." or "Restoring..." before the Start Screen appears, whereas with a stock install/hard reset, it's instant.

Definitely onto something... Hoping they resolve it soon. On Windows Phone 8.1, I had even more apps installed and pinned. Heck, even older builds of W10M allowed more installed apps and pinned apps, so it's something new to 10166. Let's hope with W10 released, W10M development will speed up. :)

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I was doing well on Build 10166 until approximately 85 apps on my Start Screen, 100 installed. On Build 10512, I thought I had dodged the bullet, but noted I had not restarted my phone yet. I did, and boom, "Loading..." loop. I started uninstalling apps until the Start Screen loaded properly again, and the numbers are similar to 10166 - 92 apps on the Start Screen, 102 installed. It seems to be right around there that, at least on the Lumia 1520, things begin to go south. Like you, I've noticed that the fewer the items on the Start Screen, the faster it is. With 92 apps on the Start Screen, I'm looking at 2-3 seconds of "Loading..." or "Restoring..." before the Start Screen appears, whereas with a stock install/hard reset, it's instant.

Definitely onto something... Hoping they resolve it soon. On Windows Phone 8.1, I had even more apps installed and pinned. Heck, even older builds of W10M allowed more installed apps and pinned apps, so it's something new to 10166. Let's hope with W10 released, W10M development will speed up. :)

I just gave my start screen a count I have 49 apps pin and 74 installed. This time I did not use wallpaper and I'm using the add more tiles screen. My phone is great right now I have turned it off & on many times with no issues except the lock screen delay and I'm running glance with my background image, shows the time but no date no notification. The lock screen I get all info and notifications.

Thallanor

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I just gave my start screen a count I have 49 apps pin and 74 installed. This time I did not use wallpaper and I'm using the add more tiles screen. My phone is great right now I have turned it off & on many times with no issues except the lock screen delay and I'm running glance with my background image, shows the time but no date no notification. The lock screen I get all info and notifications.
I tend to switch back and forth between "Show More Tiles" on or off from time to time. At the moment, I have it disabled. I want to install W10M on my wife's 830 to see if the number of installed and pinned apps is lower on a lower-memory device before the problem manifests itself, but she's a bit leery given my tales of woe. :)

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I tend to switch back and forth between "Show More Tiles" on or off from time to time. At the moment, I have it disabled. I want to install W10M on my wife's 830 to see if the number of installed and pinned apps is lower on a lower-memory device before the problem manifests itself, but she's a bit leery given my tales of woe. :)

Have you had the problem with trying to make tile folder's were you drop one tile on top the other to create a folder and name it, in this build I can't do it for some reason? All the other builds I was able to that's why I wanted to use the add more feature this time. I ask in the Microsoft community forum's yesterday about another problem (find my phone) setting it up when i test it can't find it on map tells me try again later? This is a replacement Lumia 928 Verizon it came last Friday, this replaced a 928 that had some other problem and that one worked fine go figure.

Thallanor

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Have you had the problem with trying to make tile folder's were you drop one tile on top the other to create a folder and name it, in this build I can't do it for some reason? All the other builds I was able to that's why I wanted to use the add more feature this time. I ask in the Microsoft community forum's yesterday about another problem (find my phone) setting it up when i test it can't find it on map tells me try again later? This is a replacement Lumia 928 Verizon it came last Friday, this replaced a 928 that had some other problem and that one worked fine go figure.
I am able to create folders and name them in Build 10512. I also use Maps quite extensively for navigation. Have you performed a hard reset on the affected phone(s)? My only real issue with Build 10166 and 10512 is the Start Screen Loading loop. Though this morning, I'm seeing that most of my Live Tiles are completely blank. Oh well -- I'll test more later. Worked yesterday, followed by an overnight shift back-to-back for server maintenance. I'm tired!

cyberfighter

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: loading loop on windows 10 mobile build 10166!!!

I have found that what works best for me is using kids corner. I saw the suggestion on another thread and it works great.

On build 10166 I had my kids corner screen full of apps I normally would have on my regular start screen (not all tiles would work on the kid's corner screen for some reason though). When I got the loading loop, I would just lock my phone and switch to kids corner. I would then lock my phone and return to my normal start screen. However, sometimes it would still show my kids corner tiles instead of my usual start screen. Eventually, on its own, i would get my regular start screen back. This would work every time except for the fact that I virtually had 2 different start screens.

When I updated to build 10512, I did not add tiles to the kids corner. I just left it with the default "customize" tile. Now after I open kids corner and go back to my original start screen, I have my regular start screen. This works about 80% of the time. When it doesn't work, I usually have to retry about 1-2 more times. But the advantage to leaving kids corner as default is that I always have my regular start screen.

vincentwansink

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Using Lumia 1020. Removing the wallpaper and turning off "show more tiles" did not work for me, but after I did both of those I also unpinned most tiles and removed folders. I especially made sure to unpin all third party apps. Then it was o.k. Turned show more tiles back on, still o.k. Turned on wallpaper again, also still o.k.

I know it doesn't work for everybody, but perhaps all this information being posted by everybody here will help MS narrow down the problem.

Jan 15, 2018
Visit site
Re: loading loop on windows 10 mobile build 10166!!!

Windows 10, Build 10.015063.608. Lumia 930
A few Days ago my phone acted quite weird and things had changed, as if an update had occurred. The phone was now in flight mode without of it’s own doing and some other things were different but as I was at work an didn’t look until later.
I noticed that a lot of my apps wouldn’t work, and “loading” with a row of dots appeared on the screen. I spent hours online looking for a solution and was convinced that I would need to do a full reset but as this is a lot of hassle I decided to put it on hold, as most of the phone worked well enough for my needs.
I did come across one suggestion, that the issue was to do with the time & date, so I changed the setting to manual, instead of automatic date & time. I did a soft reset but nothing happened.
I switched off for the day and went to bed, Next day I turned on phone in the morning and the time was a couple of hours out, but to my amazement everything was working normally again, especially whatsapp which hadn’t worked for a couple of days.
So before you spend hours wiping everything out with a full reset, just try this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon