Cortana and car Bluetooth

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 920 with Windows 10 10536.1004. I've paired it with my car, a 2014 BMW 328, which has a voice button on the steering wheel. With 8.1 if I held the voice button it'd active Cortana and I could talk to her just as if I held the search button on the phone. It doesn't seem to work anymore. While stopped I unlocked the phone and tried, and if looks like Cortana takes a while to open, then crashes, and then a few seconds later comes back in listening mode. I never heard the audio indicator or anything, so for practical hands free use, this doesn't work.

Getting a call or text message alerts me, but it seems she never hears me. Any ideas? I haven't tried the advanced try alternate audio setting as i didn't need it before.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem with a 2 year old Pioneer receiver in my car. Worked flawlessly when pressing the voice activate soft button on the touch screen with 8.1. Now Cortana always states she "didn't get that, try again". Holding the search button on the phone gets the same result. All the above occur when connected to voice using Bluetooth. She's a bit slow to open strictly using the phone without Bluetooth but eventually shows the speech to text results. Just no dice with BT.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Same here. Car BT functionality is nowhere what it was in 8.1. I haven't seen any changes or improvements since the early TPs. If anything it keeps getting worse.

Cruachan 11

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Same for me, with the Blue&Me system in an Alfa Romeo. Which, ironically, runs Microsoft Auto. I used to get SMS Messages read to me by the car, or by Cortana since the denim update, but not with 10.

I've already submitted feeback for this and had a few upvotes on it, not a showstopper for me but would be nice to have again.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Cortana started working for me yesterday when connected to BT in the car and pressing the stereo's voice activation button. There is a delay, same as using her straight on the phone. I was able to send SMS through speech, reply to SMS and ask for driving directions. The delay is about 5s, then the BLOOP sound is heard, then I can speak. I'm not aware of any updates the past few days.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Cortana started working for me yesterday when connected to BT in the car and pressing the stereo's voice activation button. There is a delay, same as using her straight on the phone. I was able to send SMS through speech, reply to SMS and ask for driving directions. The delay is about 5s, then the BLOOP sound is heard, then I can speak. I'm not aware of any updates the past few days.

It wasn't working still for me this past weekend. It did seem to work with the alternative connection setting, which adds Cortana's phone number, but that's kinda off as the text came from an incoming call first.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Same for me, with the Blue&Me system in an Alfa Romeo. Which, ironically, runs Microsoft Auto. I used to get SMS Messages read to me by the car, or by Cortana since the denim update, but not with 10.

Make sure that when you're connected via BT that the ringer is on. Drop down the arrow on the volume pop-up and make sure it says "Ringer on". Worked for me. I also had this problem on 8.1 with GDR2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes