Hard reset? or not? (10536 on L920)

Red920

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
2 Builds ago (I can't remember the number, but I think it was the one before 10512) was really stable on my one & only daily use L920. Few minor bugs but generally good.

Then 10512 was really bad! And then 10536 seemed a bit better at first, but is now getting slower & worse each day...

Lag/crashes trying to open different apps. Battery drain!

I know the fact that my phone is almost 3 years old is a factor. Also my USB connecter has a loose connection, so now only use wireless charging, which might be causing some extra heat / battery ware.

I have read some opposing comments about hard-resetting...
- Some said it caused more problems than it solved. Others said it resolved more problems and made the phone run smoother.

What have you experienced? How long does it take to hard-reset & then restore everything? (Is it a lot less time & effort than recovering to 8.1 and then updating again?) And then should I hard-reset after each new build?

I don't mind a few minor bugs and I do not want to go back to 8.1, so I think this might be worth a try...

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Well it is really hard to say as it is different from device to device and depends on hardware as well, migration is quite faster on my 930 than on 925 because it has more powerful hardware but no matter which phone U use you'll nee couple of hours to finish complete process, resetting and apps downloading/reinstalling...

Anyway, I'm currently using latest build on my primary device L930 without resting and on formatted L925 which I use only for testing purpose and can't really notice any difference except fact that 930 is incomparable faster and better device so everything is faster and smoother as well..

I also tested latest build on L640 for about 48 hours or without restoring back up and than I format it and restore back-up and didn't notice any slowdown in perform,ace after back-up restoring, but gain, experience is quite different from user to user and device to device...

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Only if hard reset then start as new, if you restore from backup it likely still some factor that can make the OS slow.

This makes even trying the preview kinda pointless, in my mind at least.

I have a 920 and was trying the preview as well, and it did start off ok, but when I went away for the weekend and had to rely on the phone, its no where close yet to being reliable. Fortunately I had my Surface Pro 2 and was able to revert back to 8.1 before the drive home. I'll wait until things are closer to release before trying again.

The poll really should include an option for "go back to 8.1"

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Using it on my primary device without any serious issue, some minor problems with 3rd party apps here and there, sometimes not so great battery performances and little heating from time to time but that's something I can live with...

rajthampi

May 4, 2014
Visit site
2 Builds ago (I can't remember the number, but I think it was the one before 10512) was really stable on my one & only daily use L920. Few minor bugs but generally good.
A hard reset, and not restoring from backup is the best way to go with the technical previews (minimum in my case). About your USB port, it is actually a combo, usb + microphone flex cable, which are available for around 4.5$ in almost all major online stores. I recently bought both the audio out + microphone and the usb flex cable, which are performing much better than the original parts (I'm not forgetting the factor that my Lumia 920 is also 3 years old by december 2015)

HTH

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I do not upgrade from one W10M build to another. I start with a fresh WP8.1, set it up from scratch, wait till any pending app downloads finish and then upgrade to W10M, I do not hard reset. Worked really well with 10536. If the phone starts acting up, I turn it off and then on. It was enough so far.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm of the opinion that the OS currently has major stability issues on some hardware and while a hard reset will correct them in the short term, they'll come back. That's been my experience on my 830. Based on comments from others, I'm not the only one.

Bottom line, yes...it's worth a try if you don't want to go back to 8.1. Just expect that doing so may not be the "cure-all" you're hoping for. :)

Red920

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I am not expecting a cure-all miracle and I don't want to go back to 8.1!

I just want a quick improvement fix... until the next build (which is hopefully better) and ...until I get a new phone (hopefully L950)

Aziz Abdurachman

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
And do NOT restore backups, just reinstall apps one by one.

Yep, this is one thing that not everyone knows, Backup files from WP8/8.1 contain setting and various registry backup that I think it won't compatible to W10M and could cause some bug/crash. Some of it was live tile/start screen bug, keyboard bug, battery saver bug and glance screen/lockscreen bug. I notice the different if the phone is restored from backup or start as new.

But I discover some cool bug (or an anomaly), if you restore backup from W10M to WP8.1,
1. If you use phone from non supported region of cortana, you can always change back to US region setting to use Cortana, previously cortana won't be available for second time you change to US from your "real" region. [1,2,etc]
2. Every keyboard has swipe feature.

Silwncer

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
Always do a hard reset. Some people are actually complaining how slow is on 512MB 630,but actually it works good with few bugs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes