Back to WP8.1

rajamass

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have been using W10M TP since 3 months
Should say the team behind W10M are very slow in pushing updates and fixing problems
Tired of Microsoft lazy team
The battery life has worsened on my 1520 especially since last update
Hardly getting 6 hours, 30% drop overnight after reverting back to 8.1 it took just 1% of the battery

Microsoft is clearly lagging in mobile OS development
W10M has serious start screen problem
Never loads anything. Phone gets heated up very quickly.
Gets shutdown if you try to take image etc

I agree that its a TP but where do MSFT stand now with only 2 mnths time to release official version
When they gonna rectify these problems
I submitted many feedbacks and comments
None of the are resolved yet

If they release W10M with all these unfinished half baked OS, it will be disastrous one

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I have been using W10M TP since 3 months

Should say the team behind W10M are very slow in pushing updates and fixing problems

Tired of Microsoft lazy team

The battery life has worsened on my 1520 especially since last update

Hardly getting 6 hours, 30% drop overnight after reverting back to 8.1 it took just 1% of the battery

Microsoft is clearly lagging in mobile OS development

W10M has serious start screen problem

Never loads anything. Phone gets heated up very quickly.

Gets shutdown if you try to take image etc

I agree that its a TP but where do MSFT stand now with only 2 mnths time to release official version

When they gonna rectify these problems

I submitted many feedbacks and comments

None of the are resolved yet

If they release W10M with all these unfinished half baked OS, it will be disastrous one

You have the OS but you have no firmware so expect poor battery life. My 735 is running the build really smooth by the way. Did you hard reset your phone after you installed the new build?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps if there were only two or five technical preview users total in the whole world, then handling their comments in a timely manner would be a lot easier. Handling comments from 10 different people is already a challenge, what more for millions of users? Doesn't sound like Microsoft is being lazy at all considering the Microsoft-team-member-to-TP-user ratio.

The 1520 isn't listed as a phone that will get the official update at the moment, exactly because of the issues you're experiencing. This doesn't mean that it won't get the update at all; it just means that the L1520 isn't stable with the OS as it is right now. But Microsoft has been trying to cater to these needs for months. Just recently, the latest build now supports the L1020's large camera sensor producing highres images again.

Two months is a long time. By then, there is no assurance that the L1520 will get the update already - probably later.

Amit Mishra3

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
If u're on TP then as far as I think u don't have right to complain. MS clearly states that u can update to tp at ur own risk... Had it been official release MS could be blamed.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I've always thought that the instability was probably down to a lack of device specific firmware. Without the correct firmware, device specification and the myriad of devices thrown out by MSFT over the past 18 months, it is hardly surprising that bugs are inevitable.

I used to come across 'bugs' quite often with Cyanogen vanilla android, when setting them up for my Note 3. Instead of TP's, on Android you had 'nightly' builds to address any issues. Some Android releases were still unstable months down the line! You also have to realise that MSFT has a small, by comparison, team working on it. Being 'open source' on Android allowed hundreds, if not thousands of Devs, sat in front of Archkitchen on their PC's, to tinker with issues.

Maybe, if MSFT mobile OS were open source, we may have beaten them to it, or at least pointed out where code may be affecting stability etc. Just reporting a bug, and with so many on the Insider program, they are probably on data overload. I'm also pretty sure that the internal ring is way ahead of TP releases. It appears that we are just reporting issues and they are probably checking these against their advanced build to ensure that these have been ironed out, especially when Gabe tells us that there is an issue, but releases a TP anyway. Thick skin or needing answers / workarounds from us lot????

They will get it right, eventually

ak1520

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
This post is unhelpful, and not interesting.

The only sentence that may have been post worthy is "When they gonna rectify these problems"
That could have been used as a point of discussion, but put in to context it's someone who hasn't read the warnings and did not understand the implications of what they were agreeing to when they installed.

I might as well add my two honest cents from my experience;

I have been using Wmo10 since around April on my 1520.
I really think it's cool what the dev team for mobile10 are doing in regards to letting users try this.
My battery life has fluctuated depending on the build I have installed- I am perfectly fine with this since I understand what I was getting in to.

Microsoft is clearly heading in the right direction with Windows 10 being device-less
None of the apps I have installed have any real issues, maybe some hiccups at times, aesthetics maybe- I am perfectly fine with this.

I don't think that there's some deadline, a timed finish line, or a sell by date that a branch of a 300 Billion dollar company MUST meet.

I have loved every step in progress each build had brought- when I lost my ability to "explore" from 8.1 to that fresh 10 build, I was sad but I stuck with it- the day Groove was updated with Explore, and even a few days ago when gapless was applied, I was happy, and I don't care how long it took.

I submit partially-subjective, and realistic feedback and ideas when asked by the feedback app.
I've learned a lot just by seeing what breaks, and what can break by experiencing all of this and I've gained a whole new appreciation for what kind of work goes in to all of this. I don't believe this is all magic, or that it's easily fixed.

I'm not the user calling IT support and asking why hasn't my internet been fixed yet, I'm the guy answering the phone while attempting to fix thousands of others' issues and resolve each ticket.

Realizing I've contributed to the flame by blessing this post with a reply but heck why not. We've got plenty of people doing it anyway.

rajamass

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If u're on TP then as far as I think u don't have right to complain. MS clearly states that u can update to tp at ur own risk... Had it been official release MS could be blamed.

I am not complaining man
I am questioning why the W10M development is very slow ?
I know that for MSFT does not guarantee anything
I also used Windows phone 8.1 developers preview when Windows phone 8 was the official OS
That time they resolved the problems quickly and the OS is also stable comparatively
I updated W10M latest builds more than 5 times during 3 months
No improvement in many parts like start screen loading, battery etc
W10M was supposed to be released by this month end but they pushed to Dec now

rajamass

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The other unresolved main problems
No way to buy apps from store, there is problem with payment server sync and I had to ask for refund whenever I buy new apps
Whole last month Outlook mail service blacked out from syncing google mails
One or the other problem

My concern is with many problems like this, how MSFT go ma release official version in 2 months ?
I know firmware should be updated which may reduce the battery drain and heating issues
What about the software front ?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I am not complaining man
I am questioning why the W10M development is very slow ?
I know that for MSFT does not guarantee anything
I also used Windows phone 8.1 developers preview when Windows phone 8 was the official OS
That time they resolved the problems quickly and the OS is also stable comparatively
I updated W10M latest builds more than 5 times during 3 months
No improvement in many parts like start screen loading, battery etc
W10M was supposed to be released by this month end but they pushed to Dec now

Back in Windows Phone 8.1, we had the Preview for Developers Program, which essentially was a way to download OS versions that are already complete (or almost complete) ahead of the officially scheduled release date for the purpose of letting developers (well) develop apps for the platform ahead of time. Back then, also, Microsoft wasn't occupied developing something new "from scratch", entertaining millions of feedback and incorporating them into their development process.

Now, the Technical Preview for Windows 10 is completely different (hasn't Microsoft been crystal clear about this - it's been written and re-written countless times already) mainly because the OS versions that will be released this time are not complete, could be unstable, may have missing or incomplete back-end features (such as the Windows 10 Mobile Store) and may even render devices completely useless.

Additionally, the Lumia 1520 is getting old.

We must remember that Microsoft has been (for the majority of their existence) a software company. Leave the problem of software development to them - including meeting deadlines of releases, etc. What we can do to help is to participate by giving constructive feedback, and then wait. Watching a seedling grow won't make it grow faster.

P.S.
Hands-on with Windows 10 Mobile build 10572 – The best one yet? - that's a Lumia 1520.

Last edited:

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
The Insider program is voluntary. Downloading, installing, and submitting feedback - all voluntary. If feedback is constructive, regardless of its glowing support or shear hatred, it should be allowed even if someone doesn't like it. Help develop the OS from an end-user submitting feedback scenario or run 8.1 and don't use the builds in testing. But also don't harp or preach upon anyone else that they have to do this or else - Microsoft accounted for people who were simply curious to download and install Windows Insider.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes