Windows 10 Mobile build 14915 Discussion (Redstone 2; Inactive)

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 Mobile build 14915 Discussion (Redstone 2; Fast Ring)

My daily is a 1520.3 so no worries there.

My backup is an 8GB storage Moly W5. Needless to say I run a "lite" version in terms of app selection. :winktongue:
I see your point. Just looked at the W5, man for the price, THAT's a cool little backup.

Peace. Alan
MS Lumia ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 14915.1000.] :winktongue:

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site

Yep, I remember I was updating from some version of 10586 and never expecting it wound up on the Redstone Branch. Sorry, Speccy I can't remember any of the specifics of the upgrade so far as improvements go, but I "DO" remember "NOT" being displeased.

Peace. Alan
MS Lumia ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 14915.1000.] :winktongue:

Did you restore a backup to Threshold that had been created on Redstone do you remember?

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

The slimmed down ROM helps too. I really like the W5 as you can see here.
I went there and read the whole review. And perused the rest of the thread. WOW!

Now I gotta digest it all. I know, 3 Cheeseburgers would help! :winktongue:

Peace. Alan
ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 14915.1000.] :winktongue:

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

Did you restore a backup to Threshold that had been created on Redstone do you remember?

No I've never needed to do that. No Hard Resets and no WDRT recoveries since I've been on Redstone. Just Soft Resets here and there.

Peace. Alan

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

Thank you. Are there any major differences? Or are most differences quite small? Having used Redstone for ages, I'm not sure what's in Threshold and what isn't anymore. Also, will a backup made on the latest build of Redstone restore to a phone running Threshold?
Why would you want to do that? Whatever is forcing you to consider a jump back to Threshold, you could possibly transfer whatever coruptedness right along in the Restore (possibly). "I" wouldn't take that chance.

I'd leave Threshold 'clean' re-install all the apps I absolutely need, like Domino's, :smile: make sure your apps are runnin' ok for maybe 3 days - then jump right back on 14915.1000.

Sure it's a pain, but why suffer the pain and do it half as_ed? That's my 2 pennys' worth.

Peace. Alan

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site

Why would you want to do that? Whatever is forcing you to consider a jump back to Threshold, you could possibly transfer whatever coruptedness right along in the Restore (possibly). "I" wouldn't take that chance.

I'd leave Threshold 'clean' re-install all the apps I absolutely need, like Domino's, :smile: make sure your apps are runnin' ok for maybe 3 days - then jump right back on 14915.1000.

Sure it's a pain, but why suffer the pain and do it half as_ed? That's my 2 pennys' worth.

Peace. Alan

The Dominos app is being withdrawn in the UK, a shame as that's a shining example of an app done right on Windows phones.

With regard to the other query I had, the reason for wanting to restore a backup is to save time, re-installing everything from scratch will take many hours. The main issues I have are with the in-built apps, so a restore in this case is a risk I'm willing to take. The main issues I have concern sharing pictures via Outlook, something I do all the time at work, on this latest build this basic function fails often, as does trying to share photos via WhatsApp. The other issue I have is that sometimes I take a picture and cannot even get to the point of sharing it as it won't open the picture and just says try again later. This issue cannot be cleared without a reboot.

I might hold on for another week or so to see if the next build is any better in this respect.

Dinu Noroc

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site

Facebook works but stopped completely syncing with People and Calendar.

After a HR I noticed FB app is completely different from the previous (I got another lumia but in Production Redstone). Worst design, slower, little icon

You had the old version of FB (built by Microsoft). It stopped syncing because MS removed the app and support for the app since Facebook published the first party app.
IMO the new app is good regarding features and settings, but is very slow and sluggish. I hope an update will be released sood to solve that.

On my L950 single sim the first boot of facebook app takes up to 20 second and sometimes more. It is really annoing. The same goes for FB messenger (also first party app from Facebook)

SAD

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

You had the old version of FB (built by Microsoft). It stopped syncing because MS removed the app and support for the app since Facebook published the first party app.
IMO the new app is good regarding features and settings, but is very slow and sluggish. I hope an update will be released sood to solve that.

On my L950 single sim the first boot of facebook app takes up to 20 second and sometimes more. It is really annoing. The same goes for FB messenger (also first party app from Facebook)

SAD

There'are the only apps I see on Store, there's anymore. I'm using the Facebook produced app, not MS apps. And they don0t work anymore since days

My 520 uses old MS app and syncs flawlessy. Wish I could extract the xap

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

The Dominos app is being withdrawn in the UK, a shame as that's a shining example of an app done right on Windows phones.

With regard to the other query I had, the reason for wanting to restore a backup is to save time, re-installing everything from scratch will take many hours. The main issues I have are with the in-built apps, so a restore in this case is a risk I'm willing to take. The main issues I have concern sharing pictures via Outlook, something I do all the time at work, on this latest build this basic function fails often, as does trying to share photos via WhatsApp. The other issue I have is that sometimes I take a picture and cannot even get to the point of sharing it as it won't open the picture and just says try again later. This issue cannot be cleared without a reboot.

I might hold on for another week or so to see if the next build is any better in this respect.
Speccy, I do understand your points. It's 'your' choice. I stand on what I said. BTW in general, Best Practice is a clean install with NO Restores. BUT again, its your choice. I DO wish you good luck with it. :smile:

Peace. Alan

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

There'are the only apps I see on Store, there's anymore. I'm using the Facebook produced app, not MS apps. And they don0t work anymore since days

My 520 uses old MS app and syncs flawlessy. Wish I could extract the xap
Maurizio, I'm not sure if I understand correctly , but if I go to the ms apps "web site" at the MS store they have a LOT of MS Facebook apps for syncing this and syncing that. And SOME for phones only, like THIS MS FACEBOOK APP. I hope...:smile:

Peace. Alan

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Maurizio, I'm not sure if I understand correctly , but if I go to the ms apps "web site" at the MS store they have a LOT of MS Facebook apps for syncing this and syncing that. And SOME for phones only, like THIS MS FACEBOOK APP. I hope...:smile:

Peace. Alan

That's explains why that's hidden in Store. Simply says "This app doesn't work on your device" and in WebStore the tab Install is missing.
That' would be nice downlaod it as xap

Last edited:

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

That's explains why that's hidden in Store. Simply says "This app doesn't work on your device" and in WebStore the tab Install is missing.
That' would be nice downlaod it as xap
Ok, then. Sorry man.

Peace. Alan

Adrian Tande Olesen

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site

I have Redstaone 2 build 14915.1000 installed on my Lumia 950 XL, but I want to roll back to the latest Redstone 1 build, because I experience random freezes and sometimes my screen won't turn on, only the IR light for iris scan is activated.

But when I go to the Windows Device Recovery Tool 3.10.24401 the OS version available is 10586.13169 and that is the Threshold branch, if I recall correctly. I remember something with the backup format being changed and that is was not recommended to roll back from Redstone 1 or 2 to a TH build because this would corrupt my back up and things will go bad.

Is there a way to get back to RS1 safely using backups to restore my phone or is my safest bet to wait until Microsoft load up the Anniversary update to the WDRT servers?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I have Redstaone 2 build 14915.1000 installed on my Lumia 950 XL, but I want to roll back to the latest Redstone 1 build, because I experience random freezes and sometimes my screen won't turn on, only the IR light for iris scan is activated.

But when I go to the Windows Device Recovery Tool 3.10.24401 the OS version available is 10586.13169 and that is the Threshold branch, if I recall correctly. I remember something with the backup format being changed and that is was not recommended to roll back from Redstone 1 or 2 to a TH build because this would corrupt my back up and things will go bad.

Is there a way to get back to RS1 safely using backups to restore my phone or is my safest bet to wait until Microsoft load up the Anniversary update to the WDRT servers?

Why not use WDRT to get TH2, then OTA to RS1 > Factory Reset and restore backup?

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

Why not use WDRT to get TH2, then OTA to RS1 > Factory Reset and restore backup?

I'm out of my depth here, but wouldn't the OTA jump straight to 14915.1?

Peace. Alan
ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 14915.1000.]

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I'm out of my depth here, but wouldn't the OTA jump straight to 14915.1?

Peace. Alan
ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 14915.1000.]

WDRT would erase the Insider enrollment... ???

Hmmm... maybe be safe and Unenroll from Insider before WDRT? o_O

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

WDRT would erase the Insider enrollment... ???

Hmmm... maybe be safe and Unenroll from Insider before WDRT? o_O
Man, I'm just a 68 year old rookie still learnin' every day, but I don't know if that precaution is warranted or not. Would it hurt? Would it be more likely to guarantee the desired results?. I'm on very thin ice on this one.

Peace. Alan
ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 2, 14915.1000.]

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Seems like it could only help.

Now that you have me thinking and not just flapping my gums, seems like a check for Insider status after the Restore would also be in order.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

Seems like it could only help.

Now that you have me thinking and not just flapping my gums, seems like a check for Insider status after the Restore would also be in order.

YES! YES! By ALL MEANS YES! A quick search of Google just told me that an HR would cancel Insider Preview enrollment. BUT what you said is the thing to do at least.

Peace. Alan
ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 2, 14915.1000.]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12