Tap to pay Microsoft wallet?

Kylethekool

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I saw an article a while back about how Microsoft was going to add tap to pay functionality to Windows Phone via HCE, similar to the way that Google implemented Android pay. Does anyone know if this is still happening? Has it appeared in any inside builds? I'm considering switching to Windows Phone but I often use my phone to pay and, while it's not a necessity, it's something that's really nice to have.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I saw an article a while back about how Microsoft was going to add tap to pay functionality to Windows Phone via HCE, similar to the way that Google implemented Android pay. Does anyone know if this is still happening? Has it appeared in any inside builds? I'm considering switching to Windows Phone but I often use my phone to pay and, while it's not a necessity, it's something that's really nice to have.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

It's still happening, but it appears to be a while before we see anything.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
MS Wallet is for loyalty cards. You need the actual loyalty card app in the Store to link them to MS Wallet app. Maybe it's designed for payments as well, but no other options except to add loyalty card from those loyalty apps.

You need the NFC feature for payment (under settings), which is being worked on. Current build 10581 has both. NFC currently does not have any option to add payment cards yet.

Frankly, I think MS should incorporate it all under "WALLET" app instead of having to switch between them. e.g. open Wallet app. Swipe to loyalty card section. Swipe down to the appropriate card. Scan. Swipe over to payment cards. Swipe down to desired payment card and scan/wave it for NFC.

EDIT: What stores do now is allow you to enter in your phone number linked to their loyalty program. I just enter my phone number and swipe with my bank card. Just as easy and possibly much faster.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
It is not a hardware issue, we HAD tap to pay, but there are just SOOOO many stupid handshakes and companies demanding to get their beak's wet that the whole system stalls out with complications.

WP lost its access to tap to pay when Google bought Softcard (no lie, it was called ISIS originally). And then within days of the purchase Google killed the app for any transaction starting from WinPhones.

So I do think we will get it back...eventually. "Just Wait"

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It is not a hardware issue, we HAD tap to pay, but there are just SOOOO many stupid handshakes and companies demanding to get their beak's wet that the whole system stalls out with complications.

WP lost its access to tap to pay when Google bought Softcard (no lie, it was called ISIS originally). And then within days of the purchase Google killed the app for any transaction starting from WinPhones.

So I do think we will get it back...eventually. "Just Wait"
I'd rather see a better solution than that old Softcard option. That involved the carriers and required a special SIM.

I'd like to see Microsoft have something like Apple Pay, Android Pay, or Samsung Pay that has nothing to do with the carriers.

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Tap to pay was available on Windows phones with NFC via Softcard until Google bought the service and pulled the plug (folding it into Android Pay). I used it on my Icon and it worked fine until the service died -- not quite as convenient as Apple Pay because you had to bring up the app and put in a pin, but still OK. So the technology is there, but WP's market share is tiny and the tap-to-play space is pretty crowded right now. I'm doubtful that it's easy for MS to make a business case that it's worth the investment it would take to build the ecosystem. The best chance might be if one of the existing players would let MS piggyback -- but it won't be Apple or Google.

Tap to pay has been growing slowly, partly because it's hard for consumers to see much benefit over swiping. But the transition to chip cards is likely to accelerate adoption. Tapping is quicker and easier than inserting a chip card and waiting for it to register, so it will be easier for consumers to see a benefit.

But, if I were moving to WP right now, I wouldn't count on seeing tap to pay any time soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon