The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
12-07-2015 01:11 AM
193 ... 45678
tools
    Reasons to stay:
    1. Love the tiles interface, live tiles, and ease of use
    2. Love the security (relative to others), sense of greater privacy (not sure if it is real)
    3. Love replaceable battery, expandable memory, durable build quality
    4. Don't need a ton of apps--have what I need day to day

Reasons to Leave:
    1. App gap is real, and quality of apps is lower, missing several apps I need for work
    2. Lack of high quality smaller devices with good cameras (like iPhone)
    3. Not sure W10 mobile is better than 8.1, looks worse, not sure this is a good direction
    4. In general, W10 buggy and annoying
    5. One Drive slow, error prone, and soon will only include 5GB free
    12-06-2015 09:51 AM
    I didn't abandon Windows. I was forced to another platform and found out that I'm not missing much.
    If you don't miss the tiles, interface or camera, what exactly did you think you were going to miss?

Since you are on these forums, one would have to assume you are a mobile phone enthusiast of some sort, so let's be realistic, you knew before you ever went to android that you weren't going to miss anything, especially if you don't miss the tiles.

Everyone here knows that android does pretty much everything windows phone does, so what information are you relaying that we already don't know?
    12-06-2015 10:14 AM
    They should still release the Surface Phone...but with one caveat.

Surface Phone should run Cyanogen. Microsoft should just purchase Cyanogen and tweak it to serve as a reference platform for its apps and services. If they want to skin it with the Modern UI that would be even better. The app gap will be instantly eliminated and MS can focus its efforts on supporting a platform neutral mobile payments platform. Because it's clear that no one needs Windows 10 Mobile, not even Windows 10 fans.
    I'd have believed your pretence until I read this. Sorry to disappoint you mate but Surface Phone is not gonna be for you. Microsoft already has deals in place with big name android OEMs like Samsung and even Cyanogen to push Microsoft services out of the box. Microsoft don't need no Surface branded phone to promote an android phone with Microsoft's services when others are already doing it for Microsoft. Surface brand and phone is reserved for windows platform only, to show the power of windows and windows only. Don't come back for a Surface Phone, since, android can already do what a windows phone can and more. Right?
    12-06-2015 10:18 AM
    Maybe WM users should start claiming the competition has a feature gap,

no glance, <-- ACDisplay or Dynamic Notification are apps that resolve that.
    no continuum, <-- Available only on the two most recent handsets.
    no heavily integrated Cortana, <-- Thank goodness. No need to use Cortana / Google Now / Siri to enable quiet hours.
    no live tiles, <-- Widgets
    not as secure, <-- W10M has been 'jail broken' so that argument may no longer be valid.
    no keyboard/mouse support, Use Bluetooth or an OTG connector.
    no cursor on keyboard, etc... I have it, and the implementation is better than on W10M
    I prefer what I have now over what I used to use, thanks.I love my Lumia 735. Smooth, fast operation, great camera. But I love my LG G3 too. Both work well for me, though the LG is my daily driver.
    IF developers are attracted to Windows 10 universal apps, then I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade to a 950. But I'm not going to risk it at the moment. It's a game of wait and see...
    12-06-2015 10:21 AM
    I think if WP10 fails and at this point I think it may, Microsoft will embrace droid. I can see them building hardware, plus a locked down and clean version much like Blackberry is doing.

It's really only about Microsoft's core apps. I'm no Google fan, but Android can be made to run well. It's just no one out there CHOOSES to do so. They rather get the kick backs installing apps for telecoms.

But imagine a totally clean Android kernel. On top of this you have the live tiles of WP, all the MS core apps, and the Lumia suite of photography apps. With hardware produced by MS and security provided by Google (on the kernel level) and MS (as the gate keeper to apps and services).

Yeah, I could see myself using a phone like that.
    What's the purpose of Android if it was locked down? It's really not about Microsoft apps, rather it's all about Google apps and other big names which people cry for.

We already have a smooth OS.

Neither Android or iOS is any better in overall performance quality, especially when they release the first build of their newest OS.

Only reason I'm considering Android again is the looks and apps.

And after all, I think Microsoft is slowing their bug fixing by supporting so many devices. On Android you don't expect to get new OS version unless you have a flagship. However that's why we love Microsoft.
    12-06-2015 10:25 AM
    If Microsoft only focused developing on flagships, people would start hating on them, but no one hates on Google here when your non-nexus device is not updated. And no I don't even own a Flagship device. Just common sense.
    12-06-2015 10:28 AM
    The only complaint on Windows phones I hear from normal people is apps. It's usually "Works so much smoother than Android" "Just needs X apps"
    12-06-2015 10:35 AM
    People who think Microsoft made a mistake by offering their services on competitor platforms need to realize something. Windows licensing model isn't feasible in today's world. Look at iOS. Look at android. Free OS upgrades. Your average consumer just don't want to pay for a platform on their consumption device. Services on other hand are still relevant. Although they too have taken a hit but with newer freemium or in app purchase business model, they are still very much in the game. And the people who are on mobile devices are 10 times more than the people on PCs. Which meant Microsoft as a Software Vendor(Office apps developer) was missing out on a huge chunk of market. Office compared to Windows is still pretty much profitable and relevant. Microsoft did the right thing by securing their office market, wherever it might be. As for windows, a single platform and app development model that can work anywhere and everywhere is alluring to say the least. And it will help windows in growing the ecosystem. The only question remains how much time it will take to materialize as an adequate ecosystem.
    libra89 and gcyoung like this.
    12-06-2015 10:38 AM
    I don't give a crap what anyone else uses. Windows Phone is easy to use and does what I need it to do. And if I ever turn into one of those guys that uses a damn phone to pay for hot overpriced bean flavored water at Starbucks, please take away my phone. At that point I might as well get a scarf, tight jeans and a MacBook to complete the transformation to total hipster ******.
    koloth, Slovenix and Kevin Rush like this.
    12-06-2015 10:56 AM
    Than you get a Motorola with the Motor assist features. As capable, maybe even more so, than Glance. The easy ios conversion will help, hopefully

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    12-06-2015 10:56 AM
    My Reaction :)

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    Attached Thumbnails 39121.jpg  
    leonelfunes32 and Ed Boland like this.
    12-06-2015 11:20 AM
    The only complaint on Windows phones I hear from normal people is apps. It's usually "Works so much smoother than Android" "Just needs X apps"
    Not everything works smoothly on windows phone. Even windows central pp crashes in me and cant handle switching apps to copy text. The resuming screen is a real bother. Internet explorer in WP8.1 is super slow and does not display web pages correctly. I'm not sure if android is better or if edge is better in WM10, but I feel like the only reason I ever believed that kind of stuff was because it was true when I switched to wp7 and android was on a much earlier build. After trying the 950, I'm just going to get first hand knowledge and keep returning phones until I'm at least happy enough.
    12-06-2015 11:25 AM
    I don't give a crap what anyone else uses. Windows Phone is easy to use and does what I need it to do. And if I ever turn into one of those guys that uses a damn phone to pay for hot overpriced bean flavored water at Starbucks, please take away my phone. At that point I might as well get a scarf, tight jeans and a MacBook to complete the transformation to total hipster ******.
    A hipster would be more like to use a windows smartphone to be ironic...

Don't take that seriously. It is a joke.
    12-06-2015 11:27 AM
    Not everything works smoothly on windows phone. Even windows central pp crashes in me and cant handle switching apps to copy text. The resuming screen is a real bother. Internet explorer in WP8.1 is super slow and does not display web pages correctly. I'm not sure if android is better or if edge is better in WM10, but I feel like the only reason I ever believed that kind of stuff was because it was true when I switched to wp7 and android was on a much earlier build. After trying the 950, I'm just going to get first hand knowledge and keep returning phones until I'm at least happy enough.
    Not everything works smoothly on Android. It's quite simple. And not even iOS iPad Air with much more powerful processor does same things with the same speed as a freaking Snapdragon 400.

Done a browsing test L830 (S400) vs LG G3 (S801, 3GB ram) and it's freaking same or sometimes slower or faster by 0.5 sec.

Screw benchmarks, real world use is much different.

And Windows Central is the slowest app on my phone. And there is no such thing as resuming screen on new W10 apps or rather it just says "resuming" while on Android you get a nice transmission so it fakes being fast.

I'm not really defending Windows, it pisses me off sometimes, but just as much as I get pissed of on an Android or iOS device which costs more.

Then again copying text and such.. In some apps it works with some it doesn't.. Still an app problem and not the OS. That's why the only reason to be pissed off is Apps being outdated or just not well made. And the worst thing is some of the Microsoft apps are like this.. Then again some works just fine.
    Last edited by Slovenix; 12-06-2015 at 12:18 PM.
    12-06-2015 11:33 AM
    And too many people are comparing low end or mid to Android and Apple flagships like S6, Nexus, iPhone etc.. No **** Sherlock.. ;) :)
    12-06-2015 11:42 AM
    ....I came to a realization that Microsoft is going to be responsible for killing its own product. A former Windows lifer was forced to go with a competitor and is not missing the experience at all. I must admit that I miss the clean, beautiful interface of WP, but with the app gap gone I can get away with things like not having to print insurance cards and I discovered the beauty of Samsung Pay which I can use at any store. The only big thing missing for me, and its on its way, is Cortana. Once I'm able to sync my reminders to my phone again, my experience will be complete. Right now, Android still has the old Bing widget. Once that's replaced by Cortana, I'll delete the Google widget and replace it with Cortana.

So Windows Phone is basically done from an OS level. However, Microsoft should not abandon the hardware. They should still have a platform that can act as a reference platform for their applications and services. They should still release the Surface Phone...but with one caveat.
    It's called hedging your bets. Yes, it makes the Windows OS less important for running Windows services, but they had no choice. The odds of Windows Mobile surviving, as a standalone platform, was rapidly approaching zero. If they didn't do this, they risked losing the entire Windows service (not just the phone) in less than 10 years. This was the best of the worst paths to take. At least they can save the Windows services and live to fight another day.

Said another way; Yes, Windows Mobile is effectively dead because of their latest actions. But it was already a dead man walking. This action, in itself, didn't kill it. This action is smart and may very well resurrect it as a key player in the future.
    Last edited by Spicymikey; 12-06-2015 at 12:15 PM.
    gcyoung likes this.
    12-06-2015 11:45 AM
    And too many people are comparing low end or mid to Android and Apple flagships like S6, Nexus, iPhone etc.. No **** Sherlock.. ;) :)
    Just meant to say, even on my 1520 I would have to see the resuming screen when switching apps and that loading webpages doesn't work correctly so that often I have to just get on a computer (windows central and att to name two). I think it is unfair to say how everything is smooth in windows phone on low power processors. It may lag just as much on every OS and mobile web browsers may all suck, but I like many don't know because i made the switch 5 years ago and never looked back. That was my point.
    12-06-2015 11:49 AM
    Just meant to say, even on my 1520 I would have to see the resuming screen when switching apps and that loading webpages doesn't work correctly so that often I have to just get on a computer (windows central and att to name two). I think it is unfair to say how everything is smooth in windows phone on low power processors. It may lag just as much on every OS and mobile web browsers may all suck, but I like many don't know because i made the switch 5 years ago and never looked back. That was my point.
    I know.. the problem is still in the apps not being well made. I noticed that when I met some new apps that are only for W10M or are Universal, where they had no resuming screen and were fast to load in the first place.

That of course doesn't help the OS to be any smoother if the majority of the apps are still not updated for for W10, which makes the whole Platform suffer..

I play with Android and iOS on daily basis and I don't know what to say.. There are problems on every OS.. I'd still probably go for Android if I needed apps that much. Chrome is just fine and I think Edge is catching up with every update.
    I still think Windows is more simple for casual use. The problem occurs when a specific app is missing some feature that is present on Android or iOS.
    Last edited by Slovenix; 12-06-2015 at 12:09 PM.
    cracgor likes this.
    12-06-2015 11:58 AM
    There is plenty of room for three ecosystems and platforms.
    12-06-2015 11:59 AM
    And guess which apps drives me crazy on WM10.. Messenger - stuck on 8.1 missing features, Skype 8.1 missing features, Viber 8.1 missing features, Windows Central 8.1 extra slow with bugs and crashes.. When will we enjoy new Universal apps? No one knows. New Skype in messaging app.. Missing features... Can't join a call, cant share files, photos not supported.. This is why I want Android..
    cracgor likes this.
    12-06-2015 12:15 PM
    Its true Android can do everything WP can and much more. But i still bought my first Windows phone in 2013 because i like Nokia and i liked the unbeatable specs and features for the price Lumia 520 provided. It simply had no competition.
    Now look at the mess that is Windows phone. Not one device has any standout feature. Lumia 430 and 435 are worse than the 2 year old Lumia 520. MS is putting exactly zero effort in making people want to buy Windows phone whether it be due to hardware or software.
    12-06-2015 12:19 PM
    I wasn't pointing you out - just in case :). It's just something popular people do on Windows Central.
    12-06-2015 12:25 PM
    Arsenic.... you are leaving a whole lot out though.
    First of all, there only so much hardware you can throw at a bad OS before you have to give up on it and THAT is definitely Android. If it weren't for CPUs as fast as desktops and now almost 4 GB of ram.... Android would be hobbling along a feebly as Windows.
    Also, its a security nightmare. The OS, the apps, even their play store is a mess. Now obviously no one is immune to hacking, but man.... why make it so easy? As a network admin you must know that the first rule of security is.... if no one knows where you are.... now obviously anonymity is in NO way security but... its an obvious step.
    Microsoft is attempting to break into the mobile market ANY WAY IT CAN. They were the leaders in the space and are now suffering for resting on their laurels. They are making amazing gains in the cloud but their physical space is sorely lacking.
    They can build apps for as may OS's as they want... and that may be smart seeing as how they have to keep their name on peoples mouths but.... unless they get the apps.... they might as well bring back windows mobile or buy Palm OS because it makes no matter.
    Im a app dev manager, built windows services and .net apps for 15 years now. Had a Surface Pro 3, Lumia * (all of them) and umpteen tablets.... and now Im on a Macbook Pro/iPhone 6/iPad mini.... simply because .... the apps. As sad as that is.
    12-06-2015 12:39 PM
    Might've been said here before (I'm not reading through six+ pages to find out), but Cortana is already live on Android. I made the switch too, despite being with AT&T and having the 950 option, and went with the Edge +. After two plus years of hassling with Windows phones (950, 1520), I decided that having to deal with a Beta OS even on a "production ready" phone was just not worth it, especially given the Fintstones looking plastic beast they released as their flagship.

I quickly realized the main reasons for going Windows Phone to begin with, were no longer factors. Every Office app I need is on Android, as well as Xbox One Smartglass, OneDrive, OneNote, etc. as you had mentioned. I got a bug up my rear one day when reading about Cortana coming for Android so I Googled it, and found there was a "beta" program. The links in the Google Play store are broken, but with persistence I was able to find a link on Microsoft's own website with a link I emailed myself (to Outlook, on my Edge), and was able to install it. It has every piece of functionality it she had on my Windows phone. No need to "backup, restore, update OS, backup, replace all of my tiles, backup et. al" every month any more, just to figure out the one thing an update claimed to fix had broken two other things, or caused apps I had long since uninstalled to reappear and hang in the MS Store for all eternity.
    12-06-2015 01:04 PM
    Are you sure? I've been playing the same game; my same level 8 Keep on all my devices, Windows and Apple. Picks right up where I left off on the last device used.

So you haven't actually tried it yourself... but are just going by what your friends said?

I've never had any of those issues on either my 1520, my iPhone, my iPad, or my Win10 desktop. The game has always run perfectly on every device I've played it on.

Your friends probably didn't have their Microsoft/Xbox account set up correctly or something.

And you don't have to give up one to play another you know... I play Clash of Clans as well on my iOS devices.
    Oh it keeps your data sync'ed between devices. And I play on desktop and mobile. And I'm sure it's still windows 8.1 universal, probably won't change till the update process goes through officially. The one on my phone does not support continuum. A true universal win 10 app should support it.
    Ed Boland likes this.
    12-06-2015 01:15 PM
193 ... 45678