Groove Music and Local Libraryies

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a fan of streaming music. I like to listen offline, so I do it with a personal library that's about 50 GB in size (picked up a 128-GB microSDXC for my 950 last week).

Windows 10 Mobile doesn't have a friendly syncing app like Windows Phone 8 did, where I could tell the program that something was a piece of music, having it send it to the appropriate place in the phone's storage. I also can't sync playlists properly now, which is obnoxious.

Now, my new problem is ripping a CD. Previously, I used Zune to do it, but my computer won't let me install it (says I've already got it; going to do a clean OS install in a few weeks anyway, so hoping that fixes it). Windows Media Player is crap for ripping CDs (192 kbps isn't acceptable). So, my go-to music application for listening on my PC is MusicBee. It rips in FLAC, not WMA. When I try to drag and drop the album to my phone, it asks if I want to convert it to WMA before the sync. I let it do that, but Groove on my phone still wouldn't add the album to my library on my phone. I'm going to try syncing it in its original FLAC format and hope for the best, but expect the worst.

So, is there some way to force Groove on W10M to resync itself? I seem to be able to go into the phone's File Explorer and find the album, then start a track OK. That's not even a little bit reasonable for playing music, obviously (having to go into the File Explorer after every song). However, the app just ignored the album, not adding it to the list of music in Groove. Not sure what I can do after this, really wish we'd get that sync app back.

BryceMD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't have any 'local' music myself so I can't really comment on your exact problem...not sure if this will be helpful or not, but have you considered putting your music on onedrive?

I have office365 so I have a lot of onedrive space. With grooves integration into onedrive it really helps having my music synced on my phone, laptop, and tablet without actually needing to sync anything. It auto syncs your onedrive music folder, and you can download for offline use for a local copy if you want.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried the Desktop WP app? I re-use it after every W10M build's hard reset. First I let Groove on the phone access all my music which I store on OneDrive (all 50 GB, also stored on desktop PC) then I use the desktop app with the phone connected via USB to sync the offline music I use most onto the phone. The desktop app keeps previously synched artists, albums, genres, etc checked off so you can scroll through and sync new music and remove music you may not want offline on the phone anymore.

I use MusicBee for ripping my old CDs, tagging and managing my overall music library on the PC. I'm very particular about having up to 3 genres for each album, which usually matches the artist.

Florin_Anghel

Banned
Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
I did not read much but I can tell you regarding the Zune part, reinstalling OS won't help.
Groove Music under the hood is marked as Zune Music. That's why your PC says you already have it.
The registries for Groove Music are named Zune. The folder name of Groove Music is named Zune.
The old Zune is gone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon