Repeat Notification - Any Way Yet?

zr2s10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
There was already a thread on this back in August, and I was going to ask on there, but it got locked. Not trying to end up with that, but...
Has anyone found a way to get notifications to repeat?

I put W10M on the Lumia 640 I got on MS.com's recent sale, and have liked it for the most part. I actually was using it as my "daily driver" for a few days.

Well, last night, I was trying to get my 6 mo. old to fall asleep, and she was wailing pretty loudly. While I was doing this, my buddy had a technical question on a quad he was fixing up, and messaged me. I never heard it alert, or felt the phone vibrate, and by the time I pulled it out of my pocket, an hour had passed since he messaged me. I was able to help him out, but I felt bad for not getting right back to him.

I went to go change the notification reminders to on, and can't find it. I'm assuming it's not possible, but was hoping MS would have addressed this between August (that old post) and now. I went back to my GS5 Active for the time being, and I'm going to add this to my feedback on the insider program. I like the OS, the app gap usually isn't an issue for me, but this... this is a deal breaker. I know MS doesn't care much about a $40 sale on an old phone, but I was planning on buying whatever flagship is out when I pay off my GS5. But not if this is still an issue. Glance is nice, but does no good for a pocketed phone.

I know, I know. Some people will say "Keep your phone on you if you really want to get all your notifications right away!" Well, I did that. This time it was a screaming baby. Next time it could be a chainsaw, or a quad, or pumping gas with the phone in the center console, or a missed vibration in a meeting. Others will say, "If it's that important they'll message you back or call you!" That is true, but I feel it rude to keep people waiting, and I shouldn't have to strap my phone to my face, or check it every minute to stay informed. Or that "I should have researched my purchase before I made it." Well, that's what me buying a phone for $40 before spending several hundred on a flagship is. That's more thorough than me playing with a phone in a crowded store with some iDrone trying to sell me something else. A few days hands-on is the way to go.

So now that I've covered all that and probably offended some people :sweaty:, anyone know a fix yet? If not, like I said, I'll put it in my feedback and hope for the best.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
That doesn't exist, and I doubt it will be implemented anytime soon. It's a feature I first heard about from you now, and it's barely an issue. Just check your phone more often (if you can), it's not that big of a deal. Also I haven't heard any other phone can do this.

zr2s10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Both Android and iPhone offer this feature. I'm not the only one who has this issue, there was another thread on this, but it got locked, because people were arguing. For the rest, please re-read my original post, you may have missed something.

zr2s10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm still amazed how few votes this has on the feedback program. There are a few that have a similar theme to what I'm asking for, but not as many votes on it as I expected. Of course, maybe that increases the chances that MS will do it, lol

Manmikey

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
I sorely miss this feature too, it has crept into android over the years either by third party apps or by oem additions to stock android.
Glance helps a lot on windows phone but I want to be able turn on an option that buzzes/tones (user choice) every few minutes for those times when you miss the initial notification, for me it's when my phone is in another room when I'm home or when I'm out and about and the phone is in my pocket.

zr2s10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, on my S5 it's technically part of the apps that repeats the notifications. Even if it was just on the app level, I'd be fine with that. Seeing as MS does the phone and texting apps, and as far as I know, there are no alternatives, we have to bug them directly, lol.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Glance helps a lot on windows phone but I want to be able turn on an option that buzzes/tones (user choice) every few minutes for those times when you miss the initial notification, for me it's when my phone is in another room when I'm home or when I'm out and about and the phone is in my pocket.

I totally agree and really want this feature myself. I looked into the possibility of writing an app that would do it for me, but for security reasons it isn't possible for one app to "see" the notifications from another app, so there is no way of detecting when a notification has not been acknowledged.

However, for Microsoft to program this functionality into the OS itself would be trivial. I honestly don't understand why they haven't.

Alternatively, they could program it into the email and SMS app directly, which would be even easier. Damn shame this seems to be going nowhere.

ScutMonkey

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
That doesn't exist, and I doubt it will be implemented anytime soon. It's a feature I first heard about from you now, and it's barely an issue. Just check your phone more often (if you can), it's not that big of a deal. Also I haven't heard any other phone can do this.

It's a very big issue for anyone who does oncall work. I had to chuck my beloved Windows Phone when I got a new job because they won't call me directly for oncall issues at my new job. I know a company that got rid of several hundred windows phones just because of a lack of this option. Their people weren't responding to oncall and in came the Android phones.

I have to be woken up by a text message. Having it go off just once isn't going to work. Period. This is literally a show stopper for pretty much anyone who uses text messages to be oncall unless they want to buy a pager or use a third party call center. That's ridiculous and MS should have fixed this YEARS ago.

Mark Aspin

Jun 26, 2016
Visit site
I can't believe this . I may well have to ditch this windows phone now. This is absolute fundamental functionality. Phones could do this before they were "smart". The last android phone i had put up a bit of a fight but i got the functionality just by downloading a second messaging app.

From what I've read in this thread its not git going to be possible unless MS get off their asses , and given that they apear to have failed to gain any foothold in the phone market, and lost interest, i cant see that happening.

Some way of stopping the volume turning down to zero everytime my back is turned would be nice too. I assume this is happening because the external volume buttons are being pressed in my pocket or something rather than the the phone being malicious . That being a slightly less obvious problem i doubt there will ever be a way round that.

Its too much to ask is it? that your phone tells you when a call or message arrives? That its job! Thats what a grown up wants from their phone first and foremost . THEN , MAYBE when its got that right we can move to Notes , diaries , other use full stuff and THEN the useless crap that comes with it by default .
/rant
i feel better now.

did you say there was a petition ? where do I sign?

Last edited by a moderator:

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
The best thing for you to do is to create a thread for this using the Windows Feedback app and get it upvoted by the community in there - this is the 'list' of features that MS work off and they implement the most commonly upvoted suggestions.

You can access the Windows Feedback app in your app list or by pressing the Vol Down + Power button once simultaneously.

mom2jmiles

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
Every phone I've had, except my Windows phone, had this feature. Even my old flip phone. I could set the alerts to repeat at different intervals for both text and voice messages. If I get a message when I'm sleeping, one beep isn't going to wake me up. I also shouldn't have to check my phone every five minutes. That's the reason I tell people to leave a messasge if I don't answer. Sometimes I'm traveling I'm in a dead zone and a message can pop in when I have a signal. It isn't that difficult to fix and so many people have asked for it to be a feature. I don't understand what the hold up is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6