Landscape homescreen for win10mobile .

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Landscape is very useful. I often am in landscape mode in apps, games, and everytime I want to go to start I have to twist the phone and it's annoying.
All they have to do is rotate the tiles and arrange based on screen size. It will be much easier on the large screen devices like the XL. But then you would scroll right instead of scrolling down.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Landscape support is sorely needed, I recall on the touch pro 2 you had two start screens. One for portrait and landscape, sliding the keyboard out would switch to the latter - rather seamlessly at that.

If we do get qwerty slider phones, that would address the crowd would won't nothing less than a physical keyboard. Albeit partially, we also do need portrait keyboard sliders i.e dell venue pro (Wp7).

Maybe you're already holding the device in landscape, or switching among several apps in landscape and you need to go to Start to open yet another landscape app. Then you might think it's an annoying waste of time to reorient the device to portrait, find and open the app, then reorient the device to landscape again. I don't often use landscape myself, but that seems like one possible reason.

I can give you two - phones like these running WM10:

200902181418htctouchpro2live11.jpgNokia-E7-00-7.jpg

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
Yes, the touch pro 2 had all features I needed, screen was too small. The email and internet explorer were outdated.
Instead of upgrading the hardware and software, they started over! Leaving out everything including copy,paste.
Sorry for the rant, but yes landscape worked everywhere and we had a keyboard to boot.

Petru Moldovan

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Can anyone offer a logical, useful reason for landscape mode on the Start screen?
It just seems like a waste of time to me, and implementation seems sketchy. Imagine a Start screen with many apps and folders, it would take 2-3 times longer to scroll in landscape than portrait and groupings will almost certainly move around when switching between the modes - just as it did in 8.1 with tablets.
Most of the apps work in landscape, but when you want to switch the app the phone works horrible especially if you use a mouse. All they have to do is to rotate the icons and make the mouse move left-right when I move it left-right not bottom - top.

AbstractKiller

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
There have been a plethora of design concepts on uservoice, here, msdev and neowin forums over the last few years. Some of the best revert somewhat to a combination of the WIn10 and Win8/8.1 desktop models (key point - using groups) in order to make the transition between portrait and landscape more manageable and predictable.

I find myself using landscape mode often now than I did previously (WP user for at least 4 years now) - in the past it was predominantly for Web Browsing, but as other applications have matured on the platform and we see more developers coming onboard I'm using more and more apps more frequently in landscape modes - and switching between apps, start screen and task switcher is very inconsistent.

For instance - why is the task-switcher landscape when the start menu isn't? That seems to defy logic to me as for the designers to accept that sufficient use of the device will require the task-switcher to be 'friendly' in landscape mode they must also apply that same logic to the design of the key centre of the device - i.e. the start menu.

Anyway, this was only meant to be a very short post, as per most discussions here - post feedback in the feedback app (there are many, some very upvoted, threads on landscape mode), that's why it's there. Remember WindowsCentral is a great site for us to all network, discuss, rant, moan and praise the system, but MS don't spend their time here soaking in the comments.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
well for those that don't think its useful I guess it doesn't matter now, we clearly are getting landscape start sooner or later, just go check the signs, the task switcher works in landscape, almost all universal apps do too, its just a matter of time, and the start scrolls vertically on all devices since w10 to make it even easier rearranging tiles, phablets need that in some part to justify its existence, even the iPhone plus does it

svknet

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I have Windows 8.1 based tables (iBall i701) which has start screen with tiles in both Portrait and Landscape. When tablet is turned, it takes sometime for tiles to adjust from Portrail to landscape, but its good feature. BTW in tablet, I mostly found using start screen in Landscape mode is better option.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes