Things missing vs other platforms that keeps me from coming back

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I've been using an iPhone 6s Plus for a week and have come to this realization. iPhone and the App Store equals possibilities while Windows 10 Mobile equals work arounds and limitations. When you use an iPhone you can be 100% certain that when new technology becomes available you will have access to the app before android and certainly before Windows.

Panzer105

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I used to have an Android phone and moved to WP8/8.1 not WM10 and I also own a small Android tablet. There are only a few apps that I used on Android that I wish would come to WM10 and they were not apps that I used every day. Watching most people use there phones I would say Ten Four's estimates are correct. Those people who can't live without Google's apps, COMPLAIN TOO GOOGLE, they are the one's who will not write apps for Windows Mobile. I would also suggest allowing more time for Universal Apps to start coming out, ESPN, Bank of America, Spotify, Insteon and several others are not updating current apps because they are building Universal apps. Also I keep hearing how important "apps" are for people's work yet no one actually mentions what apps they just can't live without for work. Really the only apps that people bring up on a regular basis throughout these forums are facebook, twitter, snapchat and other social networking sites. Ok, I get it there is a certain generation that just can't seem to get along without being connected to social media 24/7 but I'm pretty sure most employers would not consider access to those sites/apps critical and in most cases would block them from running if possible. To those that say, "if you have not seen the Apple or google app store you don't get it, guess what, I have seen them and I see more crap apps then good apps, just like the windows app store. I've used the one drive app on Android and Windows Mobile, each one works fine. If you want to use Windows Mobile and apps don't exist contact the developers or companies that are responsible, ask them to consider a Windows Universal app, ask them to consider a iOS app port, the more requests they get they may just start writing things for 3 phone system instead of 2. As far as actual phone features, outside of apple pay and samsung pay, there really isn't anything that one smart phone can do over others. All have virtual assistants, navigation, alarms, email, calenders, live/living photos, video, wifi calling, etc.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I guess if you are buying a phone to be a "social" slave then Windows phone is not for you.

Personally the Facebook app serves its purpose and functions just fine. Then again I dont "live" for Facebook so not getting a notification the millisecond someone does something is not crucial to me.

As for Twitter, yeah the app sucks but for me Twitter is useless. Its something severely over-hyped by the media and entertainment business. Yeah its useful to keep up with when Rhianna wipes her butt and all but it loses most of its practicality on a day to day basis.

LinkedIn, the app is decent but jeeze who would want to be on LinkedIn all the time on a phone??? For a phone use case all I need is to see my messages on occasion and maybe view peoples profiles. Trying to load and update a bunch of crap is for a computer and website.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I guess if you are buying a phone to be a "social" slave then Windows phone is not for you.

Personally the Facebook app serves its purpose and functions just fine. Then again I dont "live" for Facebook so not getting a notification the millisecond someone does something is not crucial to me.

As for Twitter, yeah the app sucks but for me Twitter is useless. Its something severely over-hyped by the media and entertainment business. Yeah its useful to keep up with when Rhianna wipes her butt and all but it loses most of its practicality on a day to day basis.

LinkedIn, the app is decent but jeeze who would want to be on LinkedIn all the time on a phone??? For a phone use case all I need is to see my messages on occasion and maybe view peoples profiles. Trying to load and update a bunch of crap is for a computer and website.

If this is in response to my post I wasn't talking about social media apps. I'm talking about apps that allow you to do more from your phone. Things like lock or unlock your front door, set your thermostat, arm or disarm your alarm system, turn on your outside lighting, crank your car, unlock or lock your car, etc.....

groady-ho baluzy

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
If this is in response to my post I wasn't talking about social media apps. I'm talking about apps that allow you to do more from your phone. Things like lock or unlock your front door, set your thermostat, arm or disarm your alarm system, turn on your outside lighting, crank your car, unlock or lock your car, etc.....
great for you but I don't think the majority of people use their phones that way or even have alarm systems and outside light controlled by phones. Most have photocells or motion detectors. Most cars now a days have remote start on their key pads and nav both of which are easier to use than messing with a phone to do that.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm talking about apps that allow you to do more from your phone. Things like lock or unlock your front door, set your thermostat, arm or disarm your alarm system, turn on your outside lighting, crank your car, unlock or lock your car, etc.....
Yep, waste more time doing it the hard way. Occasionally, very occasionally, I see someone do one of these things, and without fail it takes 10 times as long and with 10 times the frustration than doing it the old fashioned way using your brain. At my house I don't need or use an alarm system and I wouldn't live anyplace I would need such a thing. I use light switches to turn off and on lights and a key to start my car. Technology is good for some things, not for others. Use it where appropriate and stop trying to make your phone flush the toilet for you.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Something that gets overlooked quite often by the certain few that can't appreciate home automation is how convenient it is for the physically disabled.
Smartphones have been a boon for many disabled persons or older folks less able to move with ease.

Crime is on the move thieves and malicious persons are everywhere they can be.
These people are watching you so it's good to be able to watch out for them.
Alarm systems are a fact of life for many even in a safe neighborhood.

From what I read and see mobile technology has increased safety and created a better existence for those who may have been dependent in the past.

Last edited:

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
great for you but I don't think the majority of people use their phones that way or even have alarm systems and outside light controlled by phones. Most have photocells or motion detectors. Most cars now a days have remote start on their key pads and nav both of which are easier to use than messing with a phone to do that.

Standard answer from Windows Phone fans. We don't need no stinkin' apps, we like doing everything the old fashioned way.

groady-ho baluzy

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
Standard answer from Windows Phone fans. We don't need no stinkin' apps, we like doing everything the old fashioned way.
No, I was saying most people don't have security systems and remote outside lights. Remote start and in car voice nav is easier. Push a button is all you gotta do. Nothing is easier than pushing 1 button. Myford sync powered by MS pairs nicely with my windows phone to.
I suppose apple car is innovation to you

beefydragon

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I completely agree with you. Not just 3rd party apps. But Cortana, Bluetooth (some people), Music is extremely problematic when you rely on hands-free. Especially in "german cars". In addition, they still haven't managed to fix the issue where when you have a large music library, it still can't download while under the lock screen. (it does it once an hour while charging, but only for a few minutes) So it's not a real computer. Why can't they run background tasks like a normal PC if it's plugged in to be charged? Not just the Music app, but any app! I've gotten feedbacks from the MSFT teams working on these things. Their problem is the testing period before a roll out. It can take more than a month until a fix is rolled out. After six months, they still haven't figured out why my phone isn't working with the Bluetooth in my two BMWs. Music app interrupts Cortana while SMS is being read or commands given. Cortana can't immediately decipher my playlists when I give a play command. It has to go through a slow regression and grammar check process that's defined by the Cortana team, and not the Music team. WTF?

ehokens3

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
What gives me some pause is all the 'convenience' apps that are coming out on just iOS and Android. For example, my train has an app for showing e-tickets or buying tickets on your phone, no windows support. The place I park my car for the train, they are switching to Passport Parking, again no windows support. For parking, I can go to a website but for the train I can't.

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
As for the apps tied to physical products, I would wager that if even 10 people were to write a company and say, "Hello, I was thinking of buying your cool product which comes with an app, but decided not to because it doesn't have an app for my Windows10 phone," that the company would provide one quickly.

Businesses know that for every letter they receive it is worth thousands of others who felt the same way but who didn't bother to write.

As an example, I was looking at a sound console at Costco, and there was one which I could have purchased which included wifi streaming, but the included app is only in the Google and IOS stores, so I walked away from it.

Mathias Darioly

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
What gives me some pause is all the 'convenience' apps that are coming out on just iOS and Android. For example, my train has an app for showing e-tickets or buying tickets on your phone, no windows support. The place I park my car for the train, they are switching to Passport Parking, again no windows support. For parking, I can go to a website but for the train I can't.

Swiss train company (SBB/CFF/FFS) has a working Windows Phone app, I can buy tickets online, lucky me!
As well as my bank (Raiffeisen Bank) who have a working Windows Phone app.

But that's it unfortunately. :(

All the connected hardware (excepted for the MS Band) is globally unsupported by Windows Phone, may the fault be with the manufacturer (Yes, you Pebble idiots) or with Microsoft (I don't know... maybe?).

Try to watch out on Kickstarter or IndieGogo and see on all the smartphone related project (connected things, apps, ...), how much are compatible with WP...
Even when you bring up the UWP and the billion customer it could bring, they don't care most of the time.

I had to get an android phone to sync my Misfit Shine, because the existing WP 8.1 app is not willing to open a Facebook-linked account. More than 1 year after bug report, the only answer I get is "we are working on it".

Most of the company out there don't give a care to a sub 10% market (willingly ignoring the PC market, of course).
Google does not only "not care" but they just asked Microsoft to remove the in-house build app they made for Youtube at start (it was an awesome app).

Personnal story, I got my first Lumia (L920) for the "PureView" because I was a Nokia 808 owner and Nokia wasn't really telling us (at start) how much MP the 920 camera will have... So I got it, awesome phone, a bit heavy, but this refreshing GUI and the 60Hz "pureflow" screen was awesome.
I started to feel the app gap already when my "nerdy friends" where telling me:
- You have to try this app... answer?
- Ok, let me look at it... oh, it seems it's not on WP...
shame...
Then, I got a Lumia 1020 because of the huge plus for me: the 42MP camera. Awesome !
Then I got bluetooth problems when connecting my band (1020 was dropping all connections after a while)
Then I got a free L930 (I'm still using) but this one does not have any "plus". Basically, any iPhone can do at least the same or better.
Now, I got the W10 update, looking into continuum (not available on the 930 or the low-end 550/650) as my next reason to get a Windows Phone, but I get more and more pessimistic.
As far as I know, Microsoft owns the "PureView" brand, so no other will be able to make a decent L1020 successor, Microsoft will not (seems to be a small marked inside a small marked... born-dead...)

So, now I put up with my L930, every now and then I write to the makers of all apps I'd like to see on WP and ask them if something is in the work.
Most of the time, it's a direct "NO" answer, sometimes they are thinking about it (or say they are) and sometimes I have good surprises (thanks Garmin)...

So, now, I can work with what I have, I fight to have more and more and I'm looking where all this is going.
But I got a bad feeling about the WP future... :(

Mathias Darioly

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
As for the apps tied to physical products, I would wager that if even 10 people were to write a company and say, "Hello, I was thinking of buying your cool product which comes with an app, but decided not to because it doesn't have an app for my Windows10 phone," that the company would provide one quickly.

Businesses know that for every letter they receive it is worth thousands of others who felt the same way but who didn't bother to write.

As an example, I was looking at a sound console at Costco, and there was one which I could have purchased which included wifi streaming, but the included app is only in the Google and IOS stores, so I walked away from it.

How can it be thousands if the WP market is only a sub 10% market?
What I try to do now, is tell them about the market opened by the UWP... about 1 billion PC's, maybe 25-30% of them with Bluetooth capabilities?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I think the main issue is that some company has to be the first. If you saw that sound console which doesn't have a Windows 10 Mobile app, but there is another sound console next to it on the store shelf that has a Windows 10 Mobile app, then the company that doesn't have one would be more inclined to make one. Who's going to make the first app? That would help get more apps from the competition.

Mathias Darioly

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
I think the main issue is that some company has to be the first. If you saw that sound console which doesn't have a Windows 10 Mobile app, but there is another sound console next to it on the store shelf that has a Windows 10 Mobile app, then the company that doesn't have one would be more inclined to make one. Who's going to make the first app? That would help get more apps from the competition.

Unfortunately not :(
Look at Nike and Adidas.
Adidas (as well as MS Health, Garmin, Runtastic) have a WP app.
Nike does not.
In the past they where "tied" with Apple, but now they have an Andro?d app...

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site

I was actually responding to OP but you bring up a few good points about some use cases.
I agree it sucks that these third party companies that come up with cool tech and convenience features for home and auto never make Windows apps.

But then again I dont use any of those devices.

Honestly I am not ready to make the jump for allowing automated control of my auto or home locks through the use of an app or phone. I see things like that as a security fail/weak point.

My phone or the device (on the home/auto) itself could be compromised allowing unwanted access.

I'm sure one day I will make the switch to it but right now I am not.

What I do love that Apple still cannot provide to this day is Cortana hands free operation in the car via bluetooth. Since it can be done with a phone then I am not tied to buying into some expensive smart car system.

She reads me texts, allows me to respond, answer phone calls, allows me to do navigation, looks places of interest up for me................
and she does it all hands free while I am driving.
Best part is she works extremely well and her speech recognition is excellent.

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
We can admire being stoic in the sense of taking a firm stand yet why deprive yourself?
I would say that you not buying something because of no app has negligible impact realistically.

True, but I wasn't really a serious buyer, just browsing what was available. But having a Windows app might have motivated me to make a purchase. Again I would wager that 10 letters would not have a negligible impact because of the numbers of prospective customers it really represents.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

If that was the case then we'd have had a Starbucks app a long time ago. I think you're over estimating the effect of consumer demand with respect to the actual market share of a device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes