To Restore or Not to Restore after AU?

RealtorTechGuy

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
So I would like to get a sense of opinions. Unlocked 950, non insider, latest FW and .67 installed today. Some minor glitches here and there and some things not working as I expect. I am muddling through them but do not feel I need to.

I believe in the hardest idea - FFR'ing a Windows PC has ALWAYS yielded positive results after sometime of use. I believe WM10 mobile after this long, this many updates and now a brand new fresh update might have some merit.

The question? Better to backup, hard reset and restore? Or bite the bullet and hard rest and start from fresh?

Looking for opinions. Thanks.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
This is what a restore does from my experience:

Restores start layout in most cases
Installs apps for you
Maybe returns some settings to what you had before
Restores app data for some apps, obviously not whatsapp

Now all the above can be done by you manually. So if you don't mind reinstalling apps manually, changing settings and layout manually, then don't do the restore. The only thing lost could be app data

SMS and contacts come back by themselves once you've signed in

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think it depends what glitches you have. Some things like the battery icon and silent ringer icon gone from Glance screen and lock screen will not be fixed with a hard reset, because those are bugs.

Fickle things like not being able to uninstall an app all the way, a hard reset is your friend.

RealtorTechGuy

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Not entirely sure why I cannot add a post to my topic but.....

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I will go with a hard reset and no restore. Just like the good old FFR days in Win XP when the cloud did not exist. YIKES!

Originally posted by libra89
I think it depends what glitches you have. Some things like the battery icon and silent ringer icon gone from Glance screen and lock screen will not be fixed with a hard reset, because those are bugs.

Fickle things like not being able to uninstall an app all the way, a hard reset is your friend.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I noticed many people understood it needs a HR everytime something happens... Nothing more wrong.
A phone, same like a notebooks, need hours (or days if older) for reaching optimum performances and data sync after HR

Hr is only for major iusses

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Not entirely sure why I cannot add a post to my topic but.....

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I will go with a hard reset and no restore. Just like the good old FFR days in Win XP when the cloud did not exist. YIKES!

You're welcome. Wait, it would help if you shared some of the issues you have had, before doing it if you can. I didn't hard reset with my (former) 950 when I went to AU, I just installed it straight out.

I noticed many people understood it needs a HR everytime something happens... Nothing more wrong.
A phone, same like a notebooks, need hours (or days if older) for reaching optimum performances and data sync after HR

Hr is only for major iusses

To be fair, around here, a HR is often suggested as a solution for like everything. That's always one of the first few answers. I used to believe that I have to do a hard reset with every update, but at a point, really got sick of doing that. It's really time consuming. I only hard reset if I have a weird issue.

karelj

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Even though I'm on the Inside Build, once the AU is available for 950s on ATT I will use the Device Recovery Tool, install the official update and do a hard reset without restore. Fresh start.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
So I would like to get a sense of opinions. Unlocked 950, non insider, latest FW and .67 installed today. Some minor glitches here and there and some things not working as I expect. I am muddling through them but do not feel I need to.

I believe in the hardest idea - FFR'ing a Windows PC has ALWAYS yielded positive results after sometime of use. I believe WM10 mobile after this long, this many updates and now a brand new fresh update might have some merit.

The question? Better to backup, hard reset and restore? Or bite the bullet and hard rest and start from fresh?

Looking for opinions. Thanks.

my 928 has seen 8.0, GDR1, 2, 3 +denim and then 8.1 + "update 1" which brought live folders, then w10m 10586 from .36 to 545, and now 14393.67 to .82

not a single hard reset, still has developer preview app for reasons

for me, hard reset is a myth, but I'm sure by now you're familiar with w10, I won't doubt it works for some people

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
my 928 has seen 8.0, GDR1, 2, 3 +denim and then 8.1 + "update 1" which brought live folders, then w10m 10586 from .36 to 545, and now 14393.67 to .82

not a single hard reset, still has developer preview app for reasons

for me, hard reset is a myth, but I'm sure by now you're familiar with w10, I won't doubt it works for some people
I think you are also a lucky person.

In my experience with the transition from 8.1 denim to w10m with 2 phones, things broke and my phone was acting very odd.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
To be fair, around here, a HR is often suggested as a solution for like everything. That's always one of the first few answers. I used to believe that I have to do a hard reset with every update, but at a point, really got sick of doing that. It's really time consuming. I only hard reset if I have a weird issue.

Agreed!

RealtorTechGuy

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
So here are some issues:

1) people tile not updating, just blank, used to refresh pics of my contacts - have unpinned and re-pinned

2) calendar tile looks the same thought it changed (this could just be me)

3) Bluetooth - happening for some time now - the phonebook will not fully sync with my car (Acura TLC 2016). Only first 5 letters of the alphabet. This was not the case when I first got WM10. A very early update broke this .

4) infrequent glitches, random, hard to pin point. One example is 1 out of 5 times One Drive crashes when attaching file to email and scrolling through list of files

5) this one I doubt will be fixed with a HR but REALLY want phone numbers to be links in emails and calendar appointments. So praying a HR might just bring this back. Some, very few people, have indicated their device supports this. Others, have reported same behaviour as I - a phone number is not recognized as a link. This is my #1 gripe about WM10.

All the above, except the people tile, have been the case after AU and before. Was hoping AU would fix these but not so. So my thought was an HR to see if that clears things up.

Would really like to hear about others' experience with the phone # link issue. I cannot believe that WM does not support this.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Hard or factory reset is supposed to be the last resort option, not the first one. I usually only suggest it when all other options fail (or I run out of ideas) :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes