Lost text messages (SMS) after update WP8.1 -> W10M (despite backup)

Wolf1023

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

Few days ago I've updated my Lumia 535 from Windows Phone 8.1 to Windows 10 Mobile.
After update I made hard reset to make "fresh" install W10M.
After a "fresh" installation W10M it appeared that only SMS (text messages) received after the phone update are visible. Messages received while the phone was under the control of WP8.1, are not visible.

How can I solve it?
I set "download messages from: any time", but it makes no difference.
Or should I make rollback to WP8.1 and then try download messages...?

BTW I have a second question: if I set the message settings "Download messages from: the last month", older message will be hidden on my phone or will be permanently deleted in a Microsoft account?

Thank you in advance for your help!

humzahyaz

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I used a Lumia 620 and am currently using Lumia 950. In your Messaging app > ... > sign in. After that download messages from anytime and give it time on internet connection to download the messages. It worked for me without any problems.

Wolf1023

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
Ok., but did you update OS on your phone (from 8.1 to 10) or only change the device?
Old messages appear immediately or you had to wait (how long)?

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
It takes a while. I think there might be something on the back end servers that has to be processed when it gets a flag of WM10 is getting old SMS's.

Just don't jump back to 8.1. You WILL loose any SMS's that were sent while on 10.

If you really need your old messages, there is an app on the MS Store (WP message backup) that will download everything for archiving, if you want.

xpressoz

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Happend to me when i reinstalled w10 trough update from 8.1, the sms from last few days where lost. This and the fact that still going back to 8.1 makes it not so smooth experience.

lwill677

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
I have the same issue!

4 days ago, I got a Lumia 950 XL coming from a Lumia 1520. Since getting it, it looks beautiful. It works beautifully EXCEPT syncing past info. I had some huge issues syncing contacts but finally figured that out by deleting my accounts and then readding them. However, one thing that has yet to sync are my text messages. They synced a few text messages that are two years old, but everything in between is still missing. How to get all of my text messages to sync? I've tried to use "Transfer my Data" but it did not work. What is the solution? Has any one else experienced this?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos